Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: October 2016 Book Club Vote
Bridge in the Fourth Dimension: Further Adventures of the Hideous Hog by Victor Mollo 4 17.39%
Mislaid by Nell Zink 3 13.04%
Rivers of London (US title: Midnight Riot) by Ben Aaronovitch 9 39.13%
The Loved One by Evelyn Waugh 10 43.48%
Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris 6 26.09%
Noises Off by Michael Frayn 2 8.70%
Bellwether by Connie Willis 5 21.74%
The Deadly Dowager by Edwin Greenwood 4 17.39%
Alice, Let's Eat by Calvin Trillin 7 30.43%
Based on a True Story by Norm Macdonald 2 8.70%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-28-2016, 07:02 PM   #16
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I voted purely on library availability but it turns out that I have read or would be willing to try all of the available ones anyway.

It is too bad Rivers of London/Midnight Riot has been missed a couple times. It is an excellent book and series. I just finished books 2 and 3 in less than a week. It would be nice to have it in a run-off at a minimum. Of course, if it stays in second place that may be ok too; I think it would have a decent chance in January.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 11:22 AM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
For those who have yet to vote, please only vote for Rivers of London aka Midnight Riot. You won't regret it. It just needs three more votes to win and you'll love reading this.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2016, 01:55 PM   #18
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
A last push for Midnight Riot/Rivers of London. Two more votes and it's in a runoff, or three for the win. Come on, folks. If both Jon and I agree about this book, it's clearly got something going for it, since we never agree about anything! And, seriously, it's a fun book, a good read, reasonably priced, and available for both eBook and Audible versions, WhisperSync'd if you want. And available in many libraries. And Peter Grant is a great character.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 06:21 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
A last push for Midnight Riot/Rivers of London. Two more votes and it's in a runoff, or three for the win. Come on, folks. If both Jon and I agree about this book, it's clearly got something going for it, since we never agree about anything! And, seriously, it's a fun book, a good read, reasonably priced, and available for both eBook and Audible versions, WhisperSync'd if you want. And available in many libraries. And Peter Grant is a great character.
Speaking of reasonably priced. If you are lucky to have it via Overdrive at your local library and it's available, then it's more than reasonable because it would then be free.

And we just need 2 more votes for this to take the win and give us the best read in the list. So please vote for this and not any other. to help push it over the top for the win and for your pleasure.

Here is a positive review from one of our long-time members.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
My enjoyment of the Peter Grant books stems from Aaronovitch's tongue-in cheek writing style which makes me laugh (I tend to chuckle throughout the entire book).

Last edited by JSWolf; 10-01-2016 at 06:30 PM.
Old 10-01-2016, 06:28 PM   #20
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Less than 2½ hours remaining.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2016, 06:32 PM   #21
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I wasn't going to say anything, but I thought I'd get started on Midnight Riot in case it won, but I abandoned it this afternoon. Admittedly, it's not my thing, but it's also not what I would call humorous. A few witty comments do not put it into the humor category; it's strictly urban fantasy. Now, The Loved One is most definitely humor of the LOL type.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 06:40 PM   #22
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

On the other hand, Midnight Riot has police who must contend with a witness who's also a ghost, warring gods, and other strange things that would be perfect for Halloween. But as I plan to read both, I don't care too much which one wins.
Old 10-01-2016, 06:48 PM   #23
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh, I'm glad for whatever will result in the best discussion to win. I just got to the point where I was asking myself why I was listening to it and it's hard to come back from that thought
Old 10-01-2016, 06:54 PM   #24
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Just to amplify my reaction. I was about three hours into the audiobook, so I think I gave it a fair shot. If I were reading it, I could have skimmed and maybe muscled on, but listening is so time-consuming that it's hard to continue once you've acknowledged you'd rather not. So many books, etc.
Old 10-01-2016, 07:46 PM   #25
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I wasn't going to say anything, but I thought I'd get started on Midnight Riot in case it won, but I abandoned it this afternoon. Admittedly, it's not my thing, but it's also not what I would call humorous. A few witty comments do not put it into the humor category; it's strictly urban fantasy. Now, The Loved One is most definitely humor of the LOL type.
I don't know about strictly urban fantasy but I can certainly understand not putting it in the humor category. I wouldn't have called it that either; police procedural, mystery, thriller, urban fantasy are all represented though. I did enjoy it a lot though.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 08:56 PM   #26
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

The poll is closed, and The Loved One by Evelyn Waugh is our winner.
Old 10-01-2016, 08:58 PM   #27
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

That was close! Now I can return Midnight Riot to OverDrive with a clear conscious. I'll reconsider if it wins in January.
Old 10-02-2016, 06:52 AM   #28
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Couldn't have said it better. I also started on Midnight Riot a couple of days ago. Seemed to me just to be a detective story with a twist, ghosts. Wasn't seeing any humor in it though. So I'm glad it wasn't just me there. On to better things.
Old 10-02-2016, 10:25 AM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
Couldn't have said it better. I also started on Midnight Riot a couple of days ago. Seemed to me just to be a detective story with a twist, ghosts. Wasn't seeing any humor in it though. So I'm glad it wasn't just me there. On to better things.
That's because you've not gotten far enough into it. Look at the review I posted in #19 of this thread. You will see that it's an amusing/funny book.
Old 10-02-2016, 10:01 PM   #30
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
I just began on the free sample of "The Loved One" .... And already I am disillusioned. Evelyn Waugh is a man?? Nowadays, and on this west side of The Pond, Evelyn is more often a female. I've run into this use before, but it never occurred to me!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote