Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-02-2013, 10:36 AM   #16
nasser
Evangelist
nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeris View Post
Consider it as the home button...they have the same behavior, so it's pretty coherent I think. Home button doesn't stay "pressed" while you are in home screen for example, and it wouldn't look good if it was like that (to me at least)
Right.. got it now..
All the buttons in the top row behave like that.. get inverted temporarily when you touch them.. acts as a feedback to the user.. similar thing in android/ios.. where you also have the option of haptic feedback..
nasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 12:01 PM   #17
Aeris
Developer's Corner Mascot
Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5.3.4, Kindle Keyboard 3.4
Don't know if you noticed it, but now that you have a button for KUAL, there is also a nice bonus: you can switch between kual and other activities using the back arrow. I mean: you are reading a book for example, and wonder how much battery (percent) is left: you press kual button, control the battery status with BatteryStatus app, then click on "back" button and continue your reading, without passing through home screen

Last edited by Aeris; 10-02-2013 at 12:04 PM.
Aeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2013, 12:59 PM   #18
nasser
Evangelist
nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many..
Yes.. I did notice the use of the back button when kual is running..
Though i didn't imagine the specific case of checking battery while reading..
Because..
  • the battery life of the PW is huge..
  • i can also check the battery icon while reading..
  • rather than reading, i seem to be doing more hacking/tweaking/fiddling/installing the latest and greatest app..
nasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 01:06 AM   #19
Machinegun
Machinegun has read every ebook posted at MobileReadMachinegun has read every ebook posted at MobileReadMachinegun has read every ebook posted at MobileReadMachinegun has read every ebook posted at MobileReadMachinegun has read every ebook posted at MobileReadMachinegun has read every ebook posted at MobileReadMachinegun has read every ebook posted at MobileReadMachinegun has read every ebook posted at MobileReadMachinegun has read every ebook posted at MobileReadMachinegun has read every ebook posted at MobileReadMachinegun has read every ebook posted at MobileRead

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Hi is there a way we can restore the shopping cart back?
Machinegun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 12:27 PM   #20
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinegun View Post
Hi is there a way we can restore the shopping cart back?
Yes, of course. Use the "restore" function. It's in the same place as the "replace" function.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2013, 01:03 PM   #21
Machinegun
Machinegun has read every ebook posted at MobileReadMachinegun has read every ebook posted at MobileReadMachinegun has read every ebook posted at MobileReadMachinegun has read every ebook posted at MobileReadMachinegun has read every ebook posted at MobileReadMachinegun has read every ebook posted at MobileReadMachinegun has read every ebook posted at MobileReadMachinegun has read every ebook posted at MobileReadMachinegun has read every ebook posted at MobileReadMachinegun has read every ebook posted at MobileReadMachinegun has read every ebook posted at MobileRead

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Oh I meant the icon (because I didn't make a backup of anything like a dummy). I restored it hoping that the cart icon would restore...it didn't. THEN I ended up deleting the two icons on root level hoping the cart icon would restore...it didn't (there was just a big empty spot). So I just took Aeris' screenshot from the first post and aligned/cropped everything.

Here are the images if anyone wants to revert

Thanks for all the help guys! Although you guys are at a MUCH MUCH more advanced level then a lot of everyday jailbreak users (like myself), you're all still very helpful!

Last edited by Machinegun; 11-27-2013 at 01:05 PM.
Machinegun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 01:45 AM   #22
cabcool
cabcool began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
I'm sorry for necroing a very old topic, but I was wondering if I'm able to do this on a PW3?
I tried the KUAL+ option of replacing the store icon, but it didn't seem to work (It still tries to launch the store after enabling it)
Also is it at all possible to remove/change the Goodreads icon from the launch bar?
cabcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 08:30 AM   #23
tryol
Warm Lighting Enthusiast
tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 (jailbroken)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabcool View Post
I'm sorry for necroing a very old topic, but I was wondering if I'm able to do this on a PW3?
I tried the KUAL+ option of replacing the store icon, but it didn't seem to work (It still tries to launch the store after enabling it)
Also is it at all possible to remove/change the Goodreads icon from the launch bar?
I like the idea of replacing goodreads as well, what would you replace it with?
I was thinking KOReader. I wonder if it's even possible to launch it directly without KUAL.

Last edited by tryol; 03-23-2021 at 08:48 AM. Reason: I was wrong about why it's not working, seems like it's something else.
tryol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 08:42 AM   #24
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tryol View Post
I was thinking KOReader. I wonder if it's even possible to launch it directly without KUAL.
Yes you can
https://github.com/yparitcher/KUAL_Booklet/releases
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 08:44 AM   #25
tryol
Warm Lighting Enthusiast
tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hius07 View Post
Nice, ty! I might try to give this a shot and update this script.
Old 03-25-2021, 06:01 PM   #26
tryol
Warm Lighting Enthusiast

I've spent some time today trying to find where the icons are stored for the search bar, but I couldn't.

There is no longer a /usr/share/webkit-1.0/pillow/assets/search_bar folder on newer firmwares.
I've even tried to delete/rename /usr/share/webkit-1.0/pillow/locales folder which contains all the icons/strings for the different languages, but it didn't have any effect.

I'm not sure where they are stored now and why this locale folder even exists if it's not needed. I've tried searching for any other images on the firmware but didn't find the store icon anywhere else.

Edit: Seems like they completely moved this from search_bar.js, removing the file doesn't change anything. Even after a restart, every button functions correctly.

Last edited by tryol; 03-29-2021 at 09:25 AM.
Old 03-28-2021, 03:30 PM   #27
cabcool
cabcool began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Hm, how odd. I hope you manage to find something, that would really be the cherry on top of the jailbreak.

As for what to replace goodreads with? I've no idea actually, preferably just remove it entirely, though unless it breaks everything.
cabcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 11:37 AM   #28
tryol
Warm Lighting Enthusiast

Seems like everything got moved to "/opt/amazon/ebook/". I've started working on a KUAL extension to replace the icons / functionality.

Last edited by tryol; 03-29-2021 at 11:39 AM.
Old 03-30-2021, 06:24 PM   #29
tryol
Warm Lighting Enthusiast

This took considerably longer than expected. Unfortunately, even though I made a KUAL extension for it, I won't be able to release it.

Let me explain:

There are 3 different .jar files that need to be modified in order to make this work.
  • The buttons' icons are stored in /opt/amazon/ebook/lib/searchbar-assets.jar.
  • The labels below the buttons are stored in /opt/amazon/ebook/lib/searchbar-kaf-(your locale).jar.
  • The functionality (what to start when pressed) is stored in /opt/amazon/ebook/lib/kaf.jar which is (as far as I can tell) responsible for pretty much all the system UI.

The kaf.jar and kaf-(your locale).jar files have .class files inside them. I only needed to change strings in them, that was possible without recompilation.

With .class files, each string's length must match the number in the byte before it. If you enter a string, and its length doesn't match up with the preceding byte, the .class file will probably break the original kaf.jar file.
This could easily result in your system unable to display the UI on boot.

That's why I went and created custom .class files with correct strings for both buttons and all languages. I shouldn't have done this because as I found out later, these files are not only different in each firmware version, they are also different in every device on the same version.

To release a script that works everywhere, I'd either need to make .class files for every firmware/device combination or make my script inject bytes straight into the .class files.
The former would take an impossibly long time, the latter would be too dangerous considering how much these .class files vary. The strings can be at completely different places based on locale, firmware, device and I don't want to risk possibly bricking other people's Kindles by messing one up by 1 byte.

So basically I've made a script that works perfectly on a KOA3 5.12.4 and nothing else.

If there is demand, I can see myself writing a tutorial to do this manually, but doing it won't be easy.

Last edited by tryol; 04-01-2021 at 10:02 AM.
Old 03-31-2021, 09:09 AM   #30
mnemonic
mnemonic began at the beginning.

Device: pw3, koa3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tryol View Post

If there is demand, I can see myself writing a tutorial to do this manually, but doing it won't be easy.
I would like to try, please make one.
Two devices PW3 and KOA3 are waiting for this modification.
mnemonic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
button, launcher