Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 11-25-2011, 11:12 PM   #16
Tordre
Tordre began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Vox
I am interested, I find it kinda interesting you are looking for people with Google Accounts is this a hint that you are working to get this device certified for official Google Apps?

Sorry for speculating.
Tordre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 11:43 PM   #17
jefftheworld
Groupie
jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo, Kobo Vox
Obviously I'd love to be in the Beta. PM sent!
jefftheworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2011, 12:12 AM   #18
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tordre View Post
I am interested, I find it kinda interesting you are looking for people with Google Accounts is this a hint that you are working to get this device certified for official Google Apps?

Sorry for speculating.
I think you will find it's because the discussions for the beta is being done through a private Google group; access to which needs a Google Account.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 06:10 AM   #19
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Beta testing is not for the feint of heart.

The vast majority of Kobo Vox users will be using it "out of the box" -- not rooting it -- so I would think the beta testing will focus on that. (With the caveat, as noted, that users will do their own thing, including rooting, so these practices need to be understood.)

It can be fun to try out; there is little glory; there is some pride when you know your "papercuts" led to a more stable, richer user experience. Personally, the best part is seeing a little piece of your suggestion baked into code for others to enjoy.

Beta testing isn't for casual users who "just want it to work". An inquisitive, logical approach is helpful -- to describe accurately what you are seeing, to be able to duplicate it, and to be available on a timely basis to verify that the code change has had the desired effect.

Sort of an Virtual Peace Corps ... low pay, long hours, gruelling conditions, a sense of accomplishment that you've made a difference in the world. The Kobo Vox world in this case.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 06:44 AM   #20
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
Sort of an Virtual Peace Corps ... low pay, long hours, gruelling conditions, a sense of accomplishment that you've made a difference in the world. The Kobo Vox world in this case.
That would be NO pay, not low pay, but everything else you said is spot-on, SP.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2011, 07:36 AM   #21
Tordre
Tordre began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I think you will find it's because the discussions for the beta is being done through a private Google group; access to which needs a Google Account.
Well one can still dream.
Tordre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 05:54 PM   #22
KoboJW
UX Lead, Kobo Vox
KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Boxes of Voxes
Hi everyone,
Thanks to all who volunteered! I have created the Google group and sent out the invites. Stay tuned!

James
KoboJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 06:11 PM   #23
cypherslock
Groupie
cypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Vox
Got the invite and accepted.
cypherslock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 06:51 PM   #24
ne0rmatrix
Enthusiast
ne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: kobo Aura HD,Apple Ipad Mini,Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4,LG G4
Same here. Replied to invite and accepted.
ne0rmatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 01:48 AM   #25
harveyj
harveyj began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoboJW View Post
Hi everyone,

I am looking for people on this forum who would be willing to help us test the beta builds for upcoming Vox updates. If you're able to help then you can send me a PM with your Google Account information and I'll add you to our list.

The more eyes we have on the product, and the more feedback we receive, the better each release is going to be for everyone

Feel free to add comments or questions about this program in the thread.

Thanks for your help!

James
i am willing to help with beta testing h.james.brant@gmail.com
I am interested in seeing a wireless tethering apt for the kobo vox
harveyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 02:18 AM   #26
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyj View Post
What do you mean by that?
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 02:19 AM   #27
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tordre View Post
I am interested, I find it kinda interesting you are looking for people with Google Accounts
Note that you can have any emails sent to your Google Account forwarded to your regular email account. I do that myself as all my email resides on my laptop and does *NOT* reside on the cloud.
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:30 AM   #28
Conor
Groupie
Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyj View Post
i am willing to help with beta testing h.james.brant@gmail.com

You can't tether anything to a Vox as it doesn't have 3G. You can tether it to a cellphone if the phone and telco allow it.
Conor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:53 AM   #29
49Kat
Fanatic
49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 9th Gen, iPhone 11, Paperwhite 10th Gen.
Some phones, apparently, can be a wifi router. I know of someone who uses his cell phone that way at home. He and his wife both have these phones, and they have done away with their landlines and their internet plans and just use their phones' data plans. We're considering that for our home, actually. Much to our surprise, the 3G signal here on the farm is excellent.

My Vox found someone's HTC wifi phone when I was at a hospital's food court last week. (It was a secured wifi. No free public wifi at that hospital. )

Last edited by 49Kat; 11-29-2011 at 09:55 AM.
49Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:04 AM   #30
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49Kat View Post
Some phones, apparently, can be a wifi router.
My Nexus S can be--in fact, I have used it as a hot spot for my Kobo Touch. It is able to do this because it is able to be connected/transmit data via the cell service I purchased when I bought the phone. Vox can be tethered in this way, but cannot act as a hotspot because it has nothing but WiFi as a way to connect. A 3G or LTE Vox would be a different story (of course you would be paying for data for the darn thing).
taming is offline   Reply With Quote