Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-23-2011, 11:32 PM   #121
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Do you have a bandwidth cap? low plans seem to come with little or no bandwidth while higher speeds have a higher cap.
I don't believe so. It's DSL.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 11:38 PM   #122
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
I don't believe so. It's DSL.
That is good I know some DSL does now. Mine is 250GB a month which is why I am very careful. Still I'd upgrade even if was just the next plan with your kids each getting one you will need the extra speeds with 4 PCs and (is it 3 Fires?) and anything else you have that uses internet.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2011, 11:40 PM   #123
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
That is good I know some DSL does now. Mine is 250GB a month which is why I am very careful. Still I'd upgrade even if was just the next plan with your kids each getting one you will need the extra speeds with 4 PCs and (is it 3 Fires?) and anything else you have that uses internet.
Yeah, I'm gonna upgrade. If I don't see any value in it I'll go back down. Thanks for the suggestion.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 11:45 PM   #124
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Yeah, I'm gonna upgrade. If I don't see any value in it I'll go back down. Thanks for the suggestion.
You'll be amazed at the difference in speeds! I originally subscribed to Charter for 10mbps but after 4 years it's now 18mbps. I pay $60 a month. All in all I am happy with it.
Old 11-24-2011, 12:04 AM   #125
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by goggin View Post
I hate it when amateurs try to do network engineering.
Please refrain from calling me an amateur unless you have solid evidence that I am so. I provided a calculation based on the available data - at no point was it indicated that the speed was up to 25Mb/s, which anyway would still not be enough to achieve 900MB in 4 minutes (4m and 48s).
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2011, 12:48 AM   #126
standman
Enthusiast
standman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.standman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.standman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.standman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.standman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.standman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.standman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.standman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.standman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.standman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.standman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge, Kindle Fire, HTC Evo
For how cheap it was, I am very happy it. The camera is just another feature, I dont really care much about it. If it has more support in the future, awesome.
standman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 12:52 AM   #127
standman
Enthusiast
standman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.standman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.standman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.standman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.standman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.standman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.standman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.standman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.standman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.standman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.standman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I pay $30 a month for 40mb no cap. Regularly its $119, but if they screw up your account and bill consistently for a year, you get some negotiating room. ;-)
Old 11-24-2011, 12:57 AM   #128
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by standman View Post
I pay $30 a month for 40mb no cap. Regularly its $119, but if they screw up your account and bill consistently for a year, you get some negotiating room. ;-)
Lucky You! Well you know what I mean. No cap is awesome.

Charter charged me for a wireless gateway for a year when I used my own router and a tiny modem. Turns out the guy who came out to install it kept it and gave me a cheap modem. They never gave us anything back when we discovered it on our bill. *grumbles*
Old 11-24-2011, 01:09 AM   #129
standman
Enthusiast

Search for their corporate office number. That usually gets stuff taken care of quick
Old 11-24-2011, 01:25 AM   #130
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by standman View Post
Search for their corporate office number. That usually gets stuff taken care of quick
It happen two years ago but thanks for the tip. If I ever need something done I will give them a call instead.
Old 11-24-2011, 11:40 AM   #131
ectoplasm
Addict
ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD and H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by goggin View Post
I hate it when amateurs try to do network engineering.

Please take into account that...
I could tell right away your posted numbers were way off. I would let it slide, but it was almost 250% OFF, and your snooty followup to afv011 compels me to comment.

Your original post said 11.5 Mbps down / 2 Mbps up. Only after afv011 questioned your numbers did you say that your speeds can go up to 25 Mbps. Big difference! 25 Mbps is in the ballpark for 4 minutes.

Other people could look at your post, who also have 10 to 11.5 Mbps down, and wonder why they get much slower speeds, and think they have something wrong. I think afv011 was right to question your numbers.

The rest of your post, trying to explain things away with QOS and your router? Sorry, doesn't work that way. If you weren't trying to be defensive, you wouldn't have to make up such nonsense.
ectoplasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 11:51 AM   #132
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Please refrain from calling me an amateur unless you have solid evidence that I am so. I provided a calculation based on the available data - at no point was it indicated that the speed was up to 25Mb/s, which anyway would still not be enough to achieve 900MB in 4 minutes (4m and 48s).
Quote:
Originally Posted by ectoplasm View Post
I could tell right away your posted numbers were way off. I would let it slide, but it was almost 250% OFF, and your snooty followup to afv011 compels me to comment.

Your original post said 11.5 Mbps down / 2 Mbps up. Only after afv011 questioned your numbers did you say that your speeds can go up to 25 Mbps. Big difference! 25 Mbps is in the ballpark for 4 minutes.

Other people could look at your post, who also have 10 to 11.5 Mbps down, and wonder why they get much slower speeds, and think they have something wrong. I think afv011 was right to question your numbers.

The rest of your post, trying to explain things away with QOS and your router? Sorry, doesn't work that way. If you weren't trying to be defensive, you wouldn't have to make up such nonsense.

This!

Goggin if you are going to post numeric claims and say things like you were amazed etc. Then you better get it right. Most everyone here is pretty well versed in speeds, file sizes, drm etc.etc.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 12:52 PM   #133
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
ok ...

1st, happy thanks giving to the USA forum members ;-) ...

Guess what! Bought one, yesterday ... impulse buy, after being in Target. However, I do have mix feelings about the device.

Played with it about 2 hours yesterday. Wife also played with it a bit.

At this moment, scale from 1 to 10, I would give a 6.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 12:59 PM   #134
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
ok ...

1st, happy thanks giving to the USA forum members ;-) ...

Guess what! Bought one, yesterday ... impulse buy, after being in Target. However, I do have mix feelings about the device.

Played with it about 2 hours yesterday. Wife also played with it a bit.

At this moment, scale from 1 to 10, I would give a 6.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 01:07 PM   #135
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
My wife wants to keep it. I honestly don't know. I kind of like it, but at the same time, I do not.

But I just bought it, so I won't make any comments yet. I need to play with it a bit before giving any feedback.

Something I just confirmed to myself (and it is really sad) I won't be buying any Kindle touch. It feels weird with the lack of buttons. I like the wifi version though, but the guys here at mobileread were right. The background looks kind of grey, and was not my imagination, 'cause there was another Kindle 3 demo on the right. And no 3G and no landscape is a deal breaker for me.

Anyway, let's keep the topic to Kindle Fire.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote