Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-23-2011, 09:15 PM   #106
goggin
Enthusiast
goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by goggin View Post
Thanks! I haven't tried that yet, but I did try streaming a movie from my Amazon video library -- "Twister" with Helen Hunt and Bill Paxton -- and it worked great. In fact, I only intended it as a test and liked it so much I wound up watching the whole movie again
Okay, I tried downloading a movie - "Contact" with Jodie Foster - which is 2 hrs and 30 minutes long. Took only 4 minutes to download! Took up a little under 900MB of space. After watching it for awhile, I deleted it and got about 800+MB of the space back. Quality and sound were, again, excellent.

I may have a good internet connection and quality WiFi router, but it's not that special. I was stunned at only 4 minutes to download a 2:30 movie.
goggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:22 PM   #107
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Okay, I tried downloading a movie - "Contact" with Jodie Foster - which is 2 hrs and 30 minutes long. Took only 4 minutes to download! Took up a little under 900MB of space. After watching it for awhile, I deleted it and got about 800+MB of the space back. Quality and sound were, again, excellent.

I may have a good internet connection and quality WiFi router, but it's not that special. I was stunned at only 4 minutes to download a 2:30 movie.
I Must ask what is your Internet download speed?
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2011, 09:24 PM   #108
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I have Contact from another source and 800 mb is what I'm showing for mine.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:34 PM   #109
goggin
Enthusiast
goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.goggin can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I Must ask what is your Internet download speed?
11.5 Mbps down / 2 Mbps up

Pretty good, but not FIOS speeds or anything fancy like that.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:59 PM   #110
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Mine is 16 Mbps down / 2 Mbps up so it should download about the same.

Oops it's 18Mbps now.

Last edited by Blossom; 11-23-2011 at 10:31 PM.
Advert
Old 11-23-2011, 10:12 PM   #111
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I'm hooked on Firefly.

May have a Thanksgiving Day FireFly marathon.
My wife and I were hooked on Firefly! Make sure that you watch the movie Serenity when you are done with the series. It provides a lot of closure.
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 10:25 PM   #112
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:

900MB / 11.5 Mb/s = 626 seconds, or 10.5 minutes at full throttle (which you never get). I can't see how you could get 900MB in 4 minutes if that's indeed your speed - could it just be streaming?
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 10:28 PM   #113
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post
Well I bought the 7" SGT when the price lowered and have been enjoying it for about a year now. I can use the nook app, kobo app, netflix (which I just recently downloaded), play some games and web browse pretty good (depending how good the wi-fi is in a particular location).

No probably downloading from the amazon app store as well. I wouldn't mind a reasonably priced new toy and I'm enjoying reading through this thread. I don't think the Nook tablet will keep me happy as it is too restrictive and I'm not a rooter type.

What do you think about getting this after reading what I can go with the SGT?
I have an SGT and my wife has the KF. When I compare them side by side, the text on the KF screen is a little clearer. However, the brightness and color saturation are better on the SGT (also, white backgrounds seem whiter for some reason). The SGT has a lot of options for optimizing the display.

As far as Amazon Prime streaming goes, the resolution is a little better on the KF. On the SGT, it is pretty bad through the browser (most of the time). But, I was able to install the KF video app (posted on XDA developers) and now the quality of the streaming video is almost as good as the KF. The app is a little quirky on the SGT, but for the most part is wonderfully convenient.

I also read somewhere that the KF Amazon Store app (which is much nicer than the Android version) can be installed as well.
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 10:31 PM   #114
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
900MB / 11.5 Mb/s = 626 seconds, or 10.5 minutes at full throttle (which you never get). I can't see how you could get 900MB in 4 minutes if that's indeed your speed - could it just be streaming?
That matched my calculations as well (or approximately) I started with 800 MB and got approx 9 mins.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 10:41 PM   #115
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
That matched my calculations as well (or approximately) I started with 800 MB and got approx 9 mins.
I never get the full 18mbps speed so a 900MB probably takes about 10 to 15 minutes depending on server location.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:50 PM   #116
goggin
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
I hate it when amateurs try to do network engineering.

Please take into account that...

(a) my connection varies a lot depending on activity in my cable area, so my speeds vary as much as 5 Mbps to 25 Mbps...
(b) the speed test I reported was for a *DATA* connection tested using www.speedtest.net, but my router...
(c) a Netgear WNDR3700 has as one of it's best features an industry leading video QOS capability that optimizes downloads and streaming of videos.

So, from the above, you'll see that I don't really know what the effective video QOS download speed was when I downloaded the movie "Contact" (except that it was obviously somewhere around 900 MB/4 minutes - duh!). But to be obliging to the nice lady who asked, I did a quick *data* speed test that, for all but the most skeptical and critical of readers, would give you a ballpark idea what kind of connection I have.

In the end, was all that really necessary? Or is saying, "Oh, about 10 Mbps" good enough for a discussion between friends?

To directly answer your question...no, I was not streaming the video...I downloaded it to the Kindle so that it was clearly marked as having been downloaded and was resident on the device.

Last edited by goggin; 11-23-2011 at 10:58 PM.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:57 PM   #117
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
You guys make me want to upgrade my plan! My speed is supposed to be 3Mbps, but I guess I'm getting around 1. Will be downloading movies at bed time.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 11:17 PM   #118
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
You guys make me want to upgrade my plan! My speed is supposed to be 3Mbps, but I guess I'm getting around 1. Will be downloading movies at bed time.
I couldn't live with speeds that slow. 10mbps at least, Minimum.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:23 PM   #119
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I couldn't live with speeds that slow. 10mbps at least, Minimum.
The things is, we have 4 computers streaming at the same time, and there's never any stuttering. I don't download music or videos (until now). My current plan is $15/month. To get the speeds you guys have I'd have to pay between $48 and $53.

Last edited by SCION; 11-23-2011 at 11:26 PM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 11:25 PM   #120
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
The things is, we have 4 computers streaming at the same time, and there's never any stuttering. I don't download music or videos (until now).
Do you have a bandwidth cap? low plans seem to come with little or no bandwidth while higher speeds have a higher cap.