Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-20-2011, 12:07 PM   #31
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
I can understand someone wanting an easy way to read PDFs, because converting them is a hassle (big hassle sometimes; they're often locked against changes, and conversion can throw in hard returns after every line). But I can't think of any simple way to read them on a portable device, other than something with a 9" or 10" screen.
I agree; this is one area in which a large-screen device is a must.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 12:09 PM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Because of everything I've read about the page-turning bug in the Sony T1, I'd recommend avoiding that until/unless Sony manage to find a fix for it.
According to Sony, the fix is coming.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2011, 09:08 AM   #33
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post

Another 9.7'' reader is the M9X series by Onyx,... the Onyx has a Pearl screen.

(cat sittingstill comments about ePub and Kindle)

I think the problem is the other way round: how to read AZW files on devices other than kindle - this is what stops me recommending the Kindle to people who are even less tech savy than I am .

Fair enough; don't get me wrong--I really wish .azw books were compatible with more e-book readers, more easily, than they are, and I agree about the switching difficulties.

But there are .azw reading apps for a lot of the Android based devices now. And I think it's interesting that that list includes some e-book readers like the Nook. It's a pity there isn't a similar app for the Sony.

There are gates in the walls I am just learning about, and I'm storing the information if I need it for a later escape :-)

Oh, and I forgot to mention before--I think it's very cool that there's a Pearl 9.7 inch screen out there--as far as I know the Kindle DX still has the pre-Pearl screen, and I notice a big improvement with Pearl.

Last edited by catsittingstill; 11-22-2011 at 09:09 AM. Reason: forgot to mention something
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:16 AM   #34
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsittingstill View Post
Oh, and I forgot to mention before--I think it's very cool that there's a Pearl 9.7 inch screen out there--as far as I know the Kindle DX still has the pre-Pearl screen, and I notice a big improvement with Pearl.
The DX Graphite has a Pearl screen, the original white DX doesn't. For now, the DXG is the only 9.7" device with stable firmware that has a Pearl screen; the older Pocketbooks are Vizplex, and the Onyx 9.7 inchers, which have a Pearl screen, are hampered by buggy firmware.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 05:34 PM   #35
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
The DX Graphite has a Pearl screen, the original white DX doesn't. For now, the DXG is the only 9.7" device with stable firmware that has a Pearl screen; the older Pocketbooks are Vizplex, and the Onyx 9.7 inchers, which have a Pearl screen, are hampered by buggy firmware.
Oh, I didn't realize that the DXG had the Pearl screen. That's cool.

I keep hoping for some upgrades on the DXG, specifically the ability to search one's pdf collection for a word or phrase. Last I heard it could only search inside the particular pdf that was open.

But the DXG doesn't seem to be changing as fast as the Kindle proper. I suppose because it has a smaller user base, so doesn't get as much attention from product development.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2011, 04:04 AM   #36
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
The new M92 by Onyx is looking much better than the M90:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=157607

The lack of Pearl in the Pocketbook should be compared with the flexibility that the firmware offers in the Pocketbook - probably not important for those only reading on it, but if you use it for work and have to shuffle between various documents and various pages within a document and/or need free-hand annotation, the new multitasking feature in teh pockebook is really good. And if Onyx get tehir act together with the M92, that device is going to attract a lot of attention imho.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 10:21 AM   #37
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsittingstill View Post
Oh, I didn't realize that the DXG had the Pearl screen. That's cool.

I keep hoping for some upgrades on the DXG, specifically the ability to search one's pdf collection for a word or phrase. Last I heard it could only search inside the particular pdf that was open.

But the DXG doesn't seem to be changing as fast as the Kindle proper. I suppose because it has a smaller user base, so doesn't get as much attention from product development.
You're right where searching in PDFs is concerned; the global search only looks in the PDF metadata. And no, it doesn't seem to be getting any attention at all, it looks like. I think the DX is a dead-end product.

You can install the 3.2 firmware of the K3/Kindle Keyboard on it, (although that still won't look inside a PDF with a global search) though, or Duokan, if you want/need better PDF handling.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:28 AM   #38
mbovenka
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
The new M92 by Onyx is looking much better than the M90:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=157607

The lack of Pearl in the Pocketbook should be compared with the flexibility that the firmware offers in the Pocketbook - probably not important for those only reading on it, but if you use it for work and have to shuffle between various documents and various pages within a document and/or need free-hand annotation, the new multitasking feature in teh pockebook is really good. And if Onyx get tehir act together with the M92, that device is going to attract a lot of attention imho.
True, the Pocketbooks have great firmware. Pity they are still using Vizplex, even on their new 912. A Pearl Pocketbook would be a sweet reader... The Onyx M92 does look a lot more promising than their current crop, yes. Worth looking at if and when my DXG bites the dust.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:31 PM   #39
garion
garion began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Because some stores only or mostly release them in PDF. (Wowio, the DriveThruRPG sites, Lulu until recently, lots of small nonfic publishers.) And a lot of authors & publishers release free PDF versions of the paperback-sized book.

The Suvudu free library is PDF-only, for the non-DRMd versions. The free ebooks from Mills & Boone were PDF. It's easy to stock up on promo/freebie books in PDF format, and unfortunately, most of them are worse than for-sale PDFs--the metadata's atrocious (9780373150915_SAMPL.indd for a title; "Cronsberry, Peter" as the author of a book by Abby Gaines--presumably, he has the computer with InDesign that did the layout) and they're sometimes paperback-sized text on a letter-sized page; often the crop marks are still included.

I can understand someone wanting an easy way to read PDFs, because converting them is a hassle (big hassle sometimes; they're often locked against changes, and conversion can throw in hard returns after every line). But I can't think of any simple way to read them on a portable device, other than something with a 9" or 10" screen.
what Elfwreck said. ^^^^^

btw... i decided on the nook touch. Some PDFs are looking decent once I do the Calibre transfer.

I thought the nook was kind of dark with the grey background when I tested it in the store. But I went back and looked at it again and the black type seems sharp enough and the grey isn't bothering me so much. And the result is the same with my NookTouch at home.

now I just need to overcome my fear on rooting it. Then I can read stuff landscape size.
garion is offline   Reply With Quote