Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-23-2016, 04:56 PM   #1
3numara
3numara began at the beginning.

Device: NONE
Device suggestion for reading PDF

I'm a medical student and read lots of thick textbooks as PDF. And of course I have many fiction or non-fiction book PDFs. I own my iPad Mini 2 but it has performance problems with newer iOS versions indeed. So i have dilemma about buying Onyx Boox N96ML or iPad Pro 9.7 inches with Apple Pencil. The latter choice is expensive in my country and i have questions about former device's performance compared to iPad Pro.

Would you like to give me advice? Thanks a lot.
3numara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 08:12 PM   #2
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
A larger (than the Mini) iPad with Goodreader installed, all the way. (This advice is coming to you from a former med student). Great performance, and colour is important for medical books. If your eyesight is good, a regular old iPad Air is cheaper than the Pro, and refurbs are available at a slight discount.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 02:20 AM   #3
3numara
3numara began at the beginning.

Device: NONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
A larger (than the Mini) iPad with Goodreader installed, all the way. (This advice is coming to you from a former med student). Great performance, and colour is important for medical books. If your eyesight is good, a regular old iPad Air is cheaper than the Pro, and refurbs are available at a slight discount.
So you say iPad Pro and its Pencil doesn't make difference? And 'old iPad Air' is iPad Air or iPad Air 2?
3numara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 05:14 AM   #4
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3numara View Post
So you say iPad Pro and its Pencil doesn't make difference? And 'old iPad Air' is iPad Air or iPad Air 2?
I'm sure the grunt makes some difference, and the pencil might be useful if you're making very extensive annotations. But the device that is useful is the device you can afford to buy. An older iPad Air - the best you can afford - will do the job much better than any eink device.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 01:11 PM   #5
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
I would recommend the Lenovo Tab 2 A10 as an economical tablet for PDFs. In Canada it's currently on sale for just $169.99; perhaps the price is similar wherever you are.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 11:09 AM   #6
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottdmk View Post
I would recommend the Lenovo Tab 2 A10 as an economical tablet for PDFs. In Canada it's currently on sale for just $169.99; perhaps the price is similar wherever you are.
I'll second the Lenovo Tab 2 A10 recommendation. A very nice quality tablet at a cheap price.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote