Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-21-2011, 11:51 AM   #76
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
I have been mulling over purchase of a Fire vs. another tablet and I've learned a lot from all the comments here, so thanks to everyone for taking the time to post!

I do appreciate knowing the device's strengths and weaknesses, so I can make an informed decision. From comments/reviews I've read here and elsewhere, it seems that most people are very happy with the Fire and there are workarounds for many of its shortcomings.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 02:50 PM   #77
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
This is a good place to read about the Fire. People posting here have much more experience with the tablet than the 'experts' who powered one up for a media review. Note that some of the people have returned to update and re-update their reviews as their opinions shifted while others waited days to post first impressions. As you noted, people having problems are learning how to deal with those problems.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 02:55 PM   #78
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWriter View Post
I have been mulling over purchase of a Fire vs. another tablet and I've learned a lot from all the comments here, so thanks to everyone for taking the time to post!

I do appreciate knowing the device's strengths and weaknesses, so I can make an informed decision. From comments/reviews I've read here and elsewhere, it seems that most people are very happy with the Fire and there are workarounds for many of its shortcomings.
Get the Fire! You'd love it! I mean if you want use it as a reader mainly it's perfect with a few simple tweaks. It does so much more though. It's a perfect entry Android device. Very user friendly.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 03:25 PM   #79
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Get the Fire! You'd love it!
I have a feeling that I probably will end up getting the Fire! I'm in no hurry, though.

All my ebooks are in Kindle/.mobi format. Amazon certainly has a great selection of videos, and I like their Appstore. The Fire may make the most sense for me. There are two things that the Fire lacks that I'd like in a tablet: SD card storage and HDMI. And a slightly larger screen (8-9") would be nice, but I could probably get used to Fire's 7". Ideally, I'd like to see Amazon make a few improvements before I buy, and I'm also watching for price drops on other existing tablets as the latest Android version (Ice Cream Sandwich) rolls out. But the Fire IS very tempting!
Old 11-21-2011, 04:27 PM   #80
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
I have a feeling that I probably will end up getting the Fire! I'm in no hurry, though.

All my ebooks are in Kindle/.mobi format. Amazon certainly has a great selection of videos, and I like their Appstore. The Fire may make the most sense for me. There are two things that the Fire lacks that I'd like in a tablet: SD card storage and HDMI. And a slightly larger screen (8-9") would be nice, but I could probably get used to Fire's 7". Ideally, I'd like to see Amazon make a few improvements before I buy, and I'm also watching for price drops on other existing tablets as the latest Android version (Ice Cream Sandwich) rolls out. But the Fire IS very tempting!
If you buy stuff from Amazon, you don't need SD card storage - Amazon stores it (of course, you have to think ahead if you won't be near wi-fi for a bit). I love it as a nightime reading device, and think the apps work well. But it is heavier than my samsung galaxy tab, and given the closed system, I am finding putting movies onto it, which was easy with the samsung, presents some problems. And I couldn't get HBO Go to install, but I will try again, knowing some of the tricks people here have taught me. But, overall, I like the Amazon store, and buy my videos, apps and books through Amazon.

I give it an 8 right now, and if I can get beyond my frustration with movies, I will give it a 10.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 06:36 PM   #81
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
If you buy stuff from Amazon, you don't need SD card storage - Amazon stores it (of course, you have to think ahead if you won't be near wi-fi for a bit).
I haven't even tried a Fire, but accessing Amazon content stored in the cloud (ebooks and music) seems straightforward. But I get the impression that it's not so easy to get to personal documents, for example. They can't be stored in the cloud and accessed from the Fire; correct? If that is the case, with such limited on-board storage capacity, that seems like it may be a major inconvenience. But I've never used anything Android, so this is all new to me.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:09 PM   #82
tstarky
Next mood swing...6 min
tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Fire, PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
The only problem I have had with the Fire is that I cannot easily restrict the purchase of content by users. Amazon has been patient as I experimented (refunding every inadvertent purchase) and claims to be working on an update that will address the problem...
Are you talking about the 1-click feature? I found I could turn it off for the Fire. At Amazon.com go to Your Account > (Digital Content) Your Apps and Devices > (on the left) 1-Click settings > edit > On the right select the yellow button to turn off 1-Click for whatever device you choose.
tstarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:13 PM   #83
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I unchecked the Accelerate Page Loading option and I set the Desktop or Mobile View to Optimize for Mobile View.
Thanks. Did that on mine. My SIL has a Fire also. She is a flight attendant and when she tries to go to her website for her flights, she can't scroll in one of the fields. There is no scroll bar. We tried different browsers, stock, opera mini, Firefox. Maybe I'll try setting her to optimize for desktop on hers and see if that helps her.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:45 PM   #84
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
Thanks. Did that on mine. My SIL has a Fire also. She is a flight attendant and when she tries to go to her website for her flights, she can't scroll in one of the fields. There is no scroll bar. We tried different browsers, stock, opera mini, Firefox. Maybe I'll try setting her to optimize for desktop on hers and see if that helps her.

Carol
Within large fields and text boxes you can usually use two fingers at once to swipe up or down to scroll within the box.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:55 PM   #85
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Within large fields and text boxes you can usually use two fingers at once to swipe up or down to scroll within the box.
Thanks will tell her to try that

Carol
Old 11-22-2011, 12:19 AM   #86
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
I haven't even tried a Fire, but accessing Amazon content stored in the cloud (ebooks and music) seems straightforward. But I get the impression that it's not so easy to get to personal documents, for example. They can't be stored in the cloud and accessed from the Fire; correct? If that is the case, with such limited on-board storage capacity, that seems like it may be a major inconvenience. But I've never used anything Android, so this is all new to me.
Well, I can load books on my Fire by simply emailing them to Amazon. I could upload all my books, and they would be there for me. I also found out moving movies is easy, peasy, just use a usb and stick them in the video folder, then use explorer to find it (it doesn't show up under the video tab on the Fire). I'm sure you could move personal documents via usb as well. Right now, I am going to work on moving my directv app and the hbo.go app onto my Fire, and then i am SET!!!
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:35 AM   #87
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
Well, I can load books on my Fire by simply emailing them to Amazon. I could upload all my books, and they would be there for me. I also found out moving movies is easy, peasy, just use a usb and stick them in the video folder, then use explorer to find it (it doesn't show up under the video tab on the Fire). I'm sure you could move personal documents via usb as well. Right now, I am going to work on moving my directv app and the hbo.go app onto my Fire, and then i am SET!!!
Thanks for the info. Have fun with your Fire!
Old 11-22-2011, 01:30 AM   #88
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
Well she tried it and it didn't work. There are no scroll bars in the field.

Carol
Old 11-22-2011, 02:14 AM   #89
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Well she tried it and it didn't work. There are no scroll bars in the field.

Carol
There are no scroll bars that I've seen in Android fields. It works, it's just takes practice.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:51 AM   #90
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:

Carol
One thing I found yesterday (perhaps to be expected) is that the Fire works fine for Amazon's "Look Inside" book view whereas my Xoom will not do that.

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote