Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 07-01-2010, 08:36 AM   #46
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
Okay, did I miss something? Was there a post or something about a single mom? I feel like K.

there was but it seems to have gotten the heave - O ..... [even if the link was left within my post that quoted it !!!!]
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 08:48 AM   #47
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
Not a bad idea to edit out the link in the quote too...

Weekend sounds good
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2010, 08:49 AM   #48
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Another fine suggestion duly acted upon.....
Old 07-01-2010, 09:05 AM   #49
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by omk3 View Post
Not a bad idea to edit out the link in the quote too...

Weekend sounds good
Yves will be up tonight. The weekend is just the outside as my mind is wavering toward the writing of a novella this weekend. Here are the titles, but I can't seem to pick one:

The Burning of Castles

Year of the Teenager (this is an old title, but it's just cropped back up)

Alice in the Morning (another old title, but it's haunting me lately)

One Vampire Weekend

*shrug* I'll have to pick one soon or they'll drive me nutso
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 09:08 AM   #50
GeoffC

Quote:
Yves will be up tonight. The weekend is just the outside as my mind is wavering toward the writing of a novella this weekend. Here are the titles, but I can't seem to pick one:

The Burning of Castles

One Vampire Weekend

dat one .....
Advert
Old 07-01-2010, 09:10 AM   #51
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Are these alternative titles for the same story, or different stories altogether? I like Alice in the Morning, and Vampire Weekend

Old 07-01-2010, 09:14 AM   #52
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Quote:
Are these alternative titles for the same story, or different stories altogether? I like Alice in the Morning, and Vampire Weekend

Most definitely inspired by that band I've recently got into them and I'm a big fan already. Oh and they will all be different stories, although I have no idea what any of them are about until I write them
Old 07-01-2010, 09:33 AM   #53
omk3
Wizard

I haven't heard much else by them, but I love this song.

Funny how inspiration works. I would think that writers usually start with a plot or a character, and build around them, with the title and the cover coming last. Obviously it can work the other way around as well
Old 07-01-2010, 10:11 AM   #54
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
I haven't heard much else by them, but I love this song.

Funny how inspiration works. I would think that writers usually start with a plot or a character, and build around them, with the title and the cover coming last. Obviously it can work the other way around as well
I never plot and only rarely will I even think about characters. Most of my inspiration comes from music, an observation of something happening, a reaction to something happening or a lyric. For instance the story I wrote the other afternoon about D. Boon started off a couple of weeks ago when I saw the trailer for a 2007 documentary called "We Jam Econo" about the Minutemen. I've been a casual fan of the Minutemen for years (you've probably heard their music if you've ever seen that horrible show, Jackass. The Minutemen's song "Corona" is used for the theme music).

So I finally got the DVD and it struck me as how great they actually were, in all ways, not just fantastic musicians, but humble people with real passions and not the crappy "Some Country Has Talent" passion to be famous. And then D. Boon died. He died in 1985 in a car accident before the Minutemen ever made it big (they were on tour with R.E.M at the time). Here's someone who made the world a better place, a true artist, not some corporate wage monkey belting out tunes for the top 40, and he's gone in a flash.

So the only intention I had was to write a story celebrating D. Boon and the Minutemen but I had no idea how I could do that, so I just started writing whatever came to mind and it was done in about half an hour or so. I called it Corona (after their famous song) and it's a short story about two members of a band coming together waiting for the third.

Here's The Minutemen performing 'Corona' acoustically. D. Boon is the singer. Mike Watt on Bass and George Hurley on Bongos.

Old 07-01-2010, 04:53 PM   #55
Moejoe
Banned

And here's the preliminary cover for Corona
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Corona.png
Views:	197
Size:	301.7 KB
ID:	54396  
Old 07-01-2010, 06:47 PM   #56
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:

The Burning of Castles

One Vampire Weekend

Quote:
And here's the preliminary cover for Corona
well, these two posts are the best news i've had all day. i can't wait.

my two votes are for Alice in the Morning and One Vampire Weekend but that's just because those two really really intrigue me. but i'm sure whatever you choose will be brilliant as always.

thanks for the clip of the minutemen ; i've never heard of them, but i see what you mean, i'll be taking a closer look at them, definitely.

oh, and i LOVE vampire weekend. for a while i was listening to their album over and over on endless repeat. sometimes i'm a bit obsessionnelle.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 06:53 PM   #57
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
well, these two posts are the best news i've had all day. i can't wait.

thanks for the clip of the minutemen ; i've never heard of them, but i see what you mean, i'll be taking a closer look at them, definitely.

oh, and i LOVE vampire weekend. for a while i was listening to their album over and over on endless repeat. sometimes i'm a bit obsessionnelle.
They're quite raw and they have a lot of punk to them, but they're so much more than that. The bassist, Mike Watt met D. Boon when they were 13 and they were friends from then on. When D. Boon died everything that Mike Watts did after that he dedicated to the memory of his friend, which I find incredibly touching.

Oh and yeah, Vampire Weekend are quite new to me, but I have the feeling they're going to go up there with The Shins as one of my favourite bands (they're like the musical version of Wes Anderson ) I was listening to Oxford Comma before while I was writing the beginning of One Vampire Weekend

Here is Oxford Comma for anybody who hasn't heard any other Vampire Weekend before Oh and if anyone knows the font on this video used for the chapter titles, I'd love to know.

Old 07-01-2010, 07:10 PM   #58
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
that is really touching.

here is another video of vampire weekend : not my favourite version of the songs, but by far my favourite video (series) because it was shot in the streets of paris and i keep hoping they'll come back and do it again, and one day i'll be walking down the street and come across vampire weekend playing a "takeaway concert". the last part of the video (oxford comma) was shot in my old neighborhood ; i used to cross that railway bridge practically every day. and it's only about 3 stations away from my current neighborhood. so, fingers crossed.

as for the font, hard to tell for sure but it makes me think of either DIN or maybe futura...
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 07:39 PM   #59
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
that is really touching.

here is another video of vampire weekend : not my favourite version of the songs, but by far my favourite video (series) because it was shot in the streets of paris and i keep hoping they'll come back and do it again, and one day i'll be walking down the street and come across vampire weekend playing a "takeaway concert". the last part of the video (oxford comma) was shot in my old neighborhood ; i used to cross that railway bridge practically every day. and it's only about 3 stations away from my current neighborhood. so, fingers crossed.

as for the font, hard to tell for sure but it makes me think of either DIN or maybe futura...
That's a great clip and now I like them even more and now the novella is set in a Paris hotel (and its surroundings), and now all I have to do is figure out what it's about, what the hotel is called and why I began it in a country house

I stil can't find a font I really like though. The attached picture is getting there, it's a Futura-like font called Florencesans. I'll try DIN next.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	onevampire.png
Views:	192
Size:	248.4 KB
ID:	54406  
Old 07-02-2010, 03:37 AM   #60
GeoffC

Quote:
That's a great clip and now I like them even more and now the novella is set in a Paris hotel (and its surroundings), and now all I have to do is figure out what it's about, what the hotel is called and why I began it in a country house

I stil can't find a font I really like though. The attached picture is getting there, it's a Futura-like font called Florencesans. I'll try DIN next.

obviously an artistic font ....