Hell Yes 9 6.57%
No Way 54 39.42%
I'll Keep my 900 and buy an iPad 13 9.49%
I don't even have a 900 61 44.53%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-27-2010, 04:38 PM   #1
krighton
Addict
krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: sony reader
Anyone even remotely considering selling their Reader for an IPAD

consdiering the cost of my PRS900 and the cost of the low end IPAD, only $100 difference for color, wifi, i books, etc.
krighton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 04:40 PM   #2
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Nope. iBooks simply can't replace a proper reader for me. I read enough that the LCD + very limited functionality is nowhere close to being able to replace my reader (it comes across as 'me too' rather than 'let me show you how to do it right' as an app).
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2010, 04:40 PM   #3
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Remotely? Yes. Probably not though.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 04:41 PM   #4
monkeyboy20
monkeyboy20 began at the beginning.

Device: sony 505, sony 600, sony 900, iPad 32Gb wifi (soon)
Quote:
Originally Posted by krighton View Post
consdiering the cost of my PRS900 and the cost of the low end IPAD, only $100 difference for color, wifi, i books, etc.

I would consider getting one because I'm a techno-geek. I would like to tinker around with this pad, but NOT to replace my 900 ereader!!! I still believe e-ink is easier on my eyes in prolong reading.

My PRS-900 ROCKS!!!

Last edited by monkeyboy20; 01-27-2010 at 04:44 PM.
monkeyboy20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 05:01 PM   #5
DougFNJ
Avid Reader
DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature, 2TB iPad Pro 11”
I have my Laptop for computing

My Blackberry Storm 2 for communications

My iPod Touch for entertainment

My X-Box 360 for gaming

My PRS-900 for reading

I'm trying to figure out where it would fit in?
DougFNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2010, 05:11 PM   #6
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Not a chance. I've got a gaming laptop in the living room and a netbook in the bedroom. A "bigger iPhone" isn't very appealing to me, as an iPhone owner already. Maybe I'll feel differently after I play with one (and enter the Steve Jobs reality distortion field).
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 05:16 PM   #7
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Not yet. I need to see it actually ship (still 2 months away) and what real users think of it. Want to know "real world" battery life, durability....etc. At first blush it seems pretty nice, and something I might want..... but it will be a while before I would think about it seriously.
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 05:23 PM   #8
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I just bought it a few days ago why would I do that?
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 06:09 PM   #9
kc5cychris
Connoisseur
kc5cychris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kc5cychris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kc5cychris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kc5cychris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kc5cychris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kc5cychris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kc5cychris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kc5cychris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kc5cychris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kc5cychris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kc5cychris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600, PRS-900
now that they have the thing out there let's move along to version 2 with a Pixel Qi screen this would give us a closer choice to the best of 2 worlds e-ink and back lit screen, this is currently a concept screen that Mary Lou Jepsen is working on. I think this may be a future alternative to the current laptop/tablet screens
kc5cychris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 06:16 PM   #10
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Oh Hell YES!

MySony will be up for sale!

Where can I get an iPad and how much will it cost?

GIMME!!!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 06:58 PM   #11
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
First, it's an LED screen, not LCD hence no backlight as pixels provide the light themselves (also means longer battery life... tho' I'd like more than 10 hours). Second... why replace... add... I see this as ideal for reading comics and non-fiction especially tech/history stuff where formatting is important to meaning and content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolenka View Post
Nope. iBooks simply can't replace a proper reader for me. I read enough that the LCD + very limited functionality is nowhere close to being able to replace my reader (it comes across as 'me too' rather than 'let me show you how to do it right' as an app).
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:02 PM   #12
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
First, it's an LED screen, not LCD hence no backlight as pixels provide the light themselves (also means longer battery life... tho' I'd like more than 10 hours). Second... why replace... add... I see this as ideal for reading comics and non-fiction especially tech/history stuff where formatting is important to meaning and content.
Not accurate. OLED pixels produce their own light.

What are commonly referred to as LED displays today (which includes everything Apple makes) are LED backlights with a LCD layer on top. Much cheaper than a true LED display (2k for an 11" OLED display right now). Especially since each LED in an LED backlight is actually pretty big, and usually spans a cluster of pixels. The key difference is that with an LED backlight, black is still not 'black'. It looks black, but you still get a tiny bit of light leakage when the display is on. LED-backlit TVs dodge this by adjusting each LED manually to get more contrast.

LED backlighting is smaller, and uses less energy than a CCFL backlight, so you got that part right anyways.

The problem is the number of devices I would carry. I have an iPhone, and a reader. If it isn't replacing at least one of them (which it can't replace either), then it doesn't get room in my bag right now.

Last edited by Kolenka; 01-27-2010 at 07:05 PM.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:07 PM   #13
amjbrown
Addict
amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle app on the iPhone
Should have done it last week. Like I did with my 600
amjbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:48 PM   #14
krighton
Addict
krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: sony reader
well i've only had my 900 for 2 weeks but i'm tempted to unload it while it still has all of it's value.......wouldn't mind a portable color comic reader.
krighton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:15 PM   #15
Estuche
Enthusiast
Estuche began at the beginning.

Device: none
Well, I am just staring at mine that was delivered yesterday at it's still sealed

An iPad for $499 is very tempting, yet I would have to wait another 2 months at the very least to get one. Moreover, the more time I spend writing this and reading from my monitor the more I wonder if it's a mistake eye-health-wise!
Estuche is offline   Reply With Quote