Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-26-2009, 11:41 AM   #1
shrktank
Connoisseur
shrktank has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony 650,Nook Color and iPad
Any Detailed User Reviews on the Sony PRS-900

Just wondering if those who received their Sony-PRS 900 for Christmas instead of the coal I received from Santa could post some user reviews with video or pics.

Last edited by netseeker; 12-30-2009 at 08:19 PM. Reason: added prs-900 prefix
shrktank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 12:09 PM   #2
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
I've been wondering the same thing. No major electronic website has done a review of the PRS-900. It's like they are ignoring it. Since it's the 1st 3G reader from Sony, you would think it would have gotten a little bit more attention. Sony is doing a very poor job in promoting this reader. They need to learn from Amazon & B&N.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2009, 12:12 PM   #3
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
I spoke too fast. One complete review has been found for the PRS-900!

http://www.the-ebook-reader.com/sony-prs-900.html
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 12:50 PM   #4
The-eBook-Reader
Groupie
The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: All
Thanks for the shout-out Lilly, you beat me to the punch! The review is far from complete, though.

As I just got everything set-up to do a video of the online store, (these vids are a huge pain in the arse for a number of reasons) and now I can't access it. Apparently they are updating the store and it will be down for a couple of hours.
The-eBook-Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 01:38 PM   #5
shrktank
Connoisseur
shrktank has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony 650,Nook Color and iPad
Great video!

I have been using a 505 for several months now and expecting a 900 on Monday. Was somewhat leary as I had a 600 before, but the fonts always see,ed blurred, of course that could be my eye sight and my unwillingness to use glasses!.

I also was impressed with the speed in which the device went from screen to screen.
shrktank is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2009, 03:03 PM   #6
rjfarrell
Zealot
rjfarrell doesn't litterrjfarrell doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505, Iphone, Ipad
Ok. I have a plan.

My husband was hugging me and went to spin me around, when lo and behold the top half of my body went with the spin, and the bottom half stayed put. I ripped my ligaments around my lower ribs. Excruciating pain.

Im thinking, however, that a new prs900 would help me during my recovery time. Im sure he would agree.

(That's my plan....lol) I will let you know how it goes! muhahaha
rjfarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 09:23 PM   #7
ziegl027
Addict
ziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Touch, Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-eBook-Reader View Post
Thanks for the shout-out Lilly, you beat me to the punch! The review is far from complete, though.

As I just got everything set-up to do a video of the online store, (these vids are a huge pain in the arse for a number of reasons) and now I can't access it. Apparently they are updating the store and it will be down for a couple of hours.
Please oh please oh please can you do some more video on the PDF functionality? Particularly multi-column scientific journal articles? With images? And how you get the notes on a book/article back OUT of the thing, if that makes sense.

Is the zoom function still reset with each page turn like it is on the 600?
ziegl027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 10:23 PM   #8
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziegl027 View Post
Is the zoom function still reset with each page turn like it is on the 600?
Yes.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 11:06 PM   #9
ziegl027
Addict
ziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolenka View Post
Yes.
DRAT

If the zoom was continuous, so to speak, and you could take notes while zoomed, I would be placing an order as we speak with Xmas money. I'm still sorely tempted, but feel like I need to give the Que and (maybe) the new iRex a chance before I open my wallet.
Old 12-27-2009, 09:06 AM   #10
The-eBook-Reader
Groupie
The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: All
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziegl027 View Post
Particularly multi-column scientific journal articles? With images?
Dr. Z, I'll be posting a PDF video and written review within a few days, provided there are no more setbacks. And I'd be happy to show some PDFs that you mentioned. Can you point me to some unencrypted examples to download?

Update: Finally finished the review. Here's the link to the PDF review and video.

Thanks

Quote:
And how you get the notes on a book/article back OUT of the thing, if that makes sense.
Not sure what you mean. Exporting? You can view notes you made on your computer in the Reader Library, but getting them out is not easy. The export function is awful, unless I'm missing something.

Exporting to an RTF results in an illegible image of the notes with a 100 character limit on highlights (copyright issues, I guess).

One workaround is to take a screenshot of the page in the Library and paste the image to a word document if you need to print it out.

There some other ways around it too, I think. Here's a thread about it but I haven't tried it out.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...0+export+notes

Last edited by The-eBook-Reader; 01-05-2010 at 04:10 PM. Reason: pdf update
The-eBook-Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 12:39 PM   #11
ziegl027
Addict

Here's a free edition of my society's journal: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/j...TRY=1&SRETRY=0

With the notes, are the notes attached to a given file/book? Or are they all lumped together or what? i.e. what do you see when you click on "view notes". That's a function I haven't been able to try on the demo models available to me since saving notes is disabled on them.
Old 12-27-2009, 03:24 PM   #12
advocate2
My Kingdom for Karma
advocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Sony 350, 650, 950, Nook Color
There is a good customer review by a buyer at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Reader-Da...owViewpoints=1

It looks like she's owned many different Readers and speaks from experience.
advocate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 10:13 PM   #13
intelchiq
intelchiq began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-900
Love it!

I have been reading ebooks on my iPhone for a while now and had decided it was time for an upgrade. Once I saw the PRS-900 I new that would be it. I received it yesterday and it does not disappoint. The cover makes it look sleek and provides great protection for the screen. The screen is crystal clear and it is sometimes hard to believe it is not a page in a book. There is a bit of a glare at times but I think that could probably be fixed with an anti glare screen protector film very easily. There are lots of options for text sizing along with a 2 page view and change of orientation. As far as lighting issues I went to Barnes and Noble and picked up a $10 book light and issue is resolved.

I guess the only downside is the difficulty in finding content. The Sony Reader Store is limited and usually over priced. I have been loading up my reader with books from BooksonBoard.com which has really good prices and epub format. However, the selections are again limited. I was able to put a few Kindle books I purchased and reformatted on the Sony but ran into 2 that wouldn't cooperate. After that I am more wary to spend money on ebooks that I can't use. Maybe one day I will be able to buy an ebook anywhere and read it with whatever I desire...preferably before the life of my PRS-900 runs out.

Spoiler:
intelchiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 10:23 PM   #14
MobileTechReview
eBook Reader Junkie
MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
I'm still waiting for mine to arrive via the SonyStyle store (hopefully Tues the 29th). Sony didn't send out review units to review sites as far as I know . Hence I had to buy one but since I personally enjoy my PRS-600, I won't cry in my beer. At any rate, expect a review on MobileTechReview with video review this week.

I'll be looking in screen quality vs. the 600 and 505, store experience on device, handling of ePUB and LRF and periodicals. If there's anything else you'd like to see covered, please post.

Lisa
MobileTechReview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 01:29 AM   #15
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrktank View Post
Great video!

I have been using a 505 for several months now and expecting a 900 on Monday. Was somewhat leary as I had a 600 before, but the fonts always see,ed blurred, of course that could be my eye sight and my unwillingness to use glasses!.

I also was impressed with the speed in which the device went from screen to screen.
I hope you won't be disappointed with Sony's 900. It should have the very same quality as Sony 600,given the same touchscreen.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote