Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 07-02-2012, 09:45 AM   #1
XMasterrrr
XMasterrrr began at the beginning.

Device: none
PB 912 vs Onyx M92 vs Jetbook Color

Hello,

I'm a programmer and interested in Computer science which makes me needing to read a lot of "Heavy" Technincal textbooks so that i need a large screen e-reader...

What makes you choose PocketBook 912 over Onyx Boox M92 and Jetbook Color
XMasterrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 04:19 PM   #2
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
at the time I bought one I don't think the Jetbook colour was out - but after researching it, I figured out I would not like its screen, as the colours are not really acceptable, the screen is dark, and in spite of many good features, I don't think this is the device for me.

As for the Onyx, the first model that was a competitor for my purchase was the disastrous first model, so I was not going to get anywhere near there. However I have considered it very seriously for the household, but after reading reviews and viewing jsbach's excellent videos (just search the forum for those) I cannot see any appreciable improvement in the quality of the reading, and I value too much the full customizability of my PB903 to go for the Onyx - I've also read that it feels quite flimsy (while my PB feels quite sturdy), but these are subjective impressions, so I personally discount them substantially.

As far as I can see, both devices are buggy, in the sense that they still do not do smoothly what they are supposed to do. What I have kind of works for me, and I am putting a lot of faith in the next firmware release, but I have to say that, in spite of the PB360 being an excellent machine, I am not sure I'd pioneer again another model. If the screen size were not an issue for me, after seeing the good reviews of the 622 I'd go for that, but I would not have taken the plunge without seeing some ubiased reviews first.

Having said this, I am happy with my device, but can't fail to notice that one and a half year down the line the process of taking hand free notes on papers, which is what I wanted this device for in the first place, is not working as I was expecting: getting to highlight exactly what you want is hit and miss, removing a highlight or a handwritten note can be painfully slow, so working on it can be frustrating. But apparently the sam applies to the Onyx.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert