Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Do we read with a smart phone or dedicated ereader?
Smart Phone 25 16.34%
EReader 128 83.66%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-08-2017, 12:29 PM   #46
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Since my vision got worse, all of my novel reading is on a dedicated reader. I can no longer use my Itouch for reading so just take an ereader with me everywhere. I use my tablet mostly for other stuff since I can't use it long due to the lighting and glare.
Tarana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 05:03 AM   #47
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
Since my vision got worse, all of my novel reading is on a dedicated reader. I can no longer use my Itouch for reading
What I want to know is how you EVER used iTouch for reading given that this is what iTouch is.
Quote:
A patented technology that adds Internet functionality to some Logitech brands of mice and keyboards through the use of software and iTouch Web site. The iTouch (a registered trademark) allows users with already established Internet service providers to access and navigate the Internet with the press of a single button. The iTouch, when used with features accessed via the iTouch Web site, lets you open e-mail, search, organize personal information sources and shop online. The iTouch software can also be used to directly launch applications.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2017, 06:45 AM   #48
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Lenovo Tablet and Samsung S5 Phone

About 80% tablet and 20% phone. Mostly the Kindle app, with occasional use of Moon Reader Pro. I still love that auto scroll, though I don't really like Moon's implementation of auto scroll.

Actually, the phone makes for a fairly decent reader (I started out reading on a Palm 100), so I could do much more on this convenient device, but as I age, the tablet is more comfortable.

When the backlit screen is too bright and hurts my eyes, I change to a dark background with light letters.

All in all, I'm reasonably satisfied with the reading experience I have.

EDIT: I must be getting OLD! It appears I already answered this question just a week or so ago without that event EVER attaching myself to my memory! Since neither response contradict each other very much, I will leave both in the thread in order to document what a dissolute life can do to a mind.

Last edited by GlenBarrington; 02-10-2017 at 06:52 AM.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 03:13 PM   #49
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
Neither. iPad mini 90% of the time, occasionally the iMac for PDFs of RPG rule sets where the larger screen size is an asset. The Kobo is currently gathering dust; I haven't used it for at least a couple of years.

(Having spent the past couple of years lugging a work laptop around most days, I'm all in favour of convergence - but I find phone screens too small.)
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 12:26 AM   #50
GeeCrow
Zealot
GeeCrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeeCrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeeCrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeeCrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeeCrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeeCrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeeCrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeeCrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeeCrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeeCrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeeCrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Tablet(s)
I said "smart phone" because it's the nearest poll response to the truth. I use two Samsung tablets. I prefer reading on the 7" tablet rather than the 10" one, because the 7" screen is almost exactly the same size as a paperback book page.

I do have a red Sony Reader PRS600 & a Nook Tablet in my bedroom closet, but I've used the Samsung tablets far more than I ever used either dedicated e-reader. Sadly, when they stop manufacturing dedicated e-readers, it will be the fault of people like me.
GeeCrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2017, 04:46 PM   #51
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Yes.

I prefer to read comics on my 12" tablet. Everything else is situational. I like my Kindle, my Nook HD+, my phone and the big tablet.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 11:04 AM   #52
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
Never thought I would say this but I mostly use my iPhone or Moto phone for reading ebooks these days. I'm as shocked as anyone by this development.

Oh and paper. I read a lot of books in printed format still.

I don't even know who I am any more.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 11:06 PM   #53
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Phones (iPhone) and tablets (iPad, kindle fire). I've never had eye strain issues, and do not often read outside in bright sunlight. Though my iPhone 7 is plenty bright to do so. My biggest reading problem outside in bright light is that I wear transitions glasses that get dark.

I was at the beach recently and listened to audible books instead of reading
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 10:06 AM   #54
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Last week I was out of town. Normally I carry both my iPad and my Kindle in this case.

Unfortunately, last week I thought I had already put them in the bag and left with an empty bag, so I was stuck with just my phone (thankfully, issybird was kind enough to temporarily take over my Book Club duties). Reading on the phone's Kindle app is fine for a doctor's office or something similar, but it's terrible for reading in bed at night. The app doesn't allow for variance in the light intensity, even when I turn the overall phone light down.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 02-25-2017 at 10:09 AM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 07:53 PM   #55
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I recently got a smartphone so I've tried reading on it. I'm OK with the smaller size - it fits in my hand better than my ereader and I use a small font anyway.

However, despite experimenting with the color and brightness level, if I read on the phone for too long I end up with eyestrain, so my eink reader will continue to be my primary reading device. I've never had eyestrain issues with the eink reader even if I spend most of a Saturday reading.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 07:59 PM   #56
ben.sawyer
Mister Wrong
ben.sawyer began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I read ebooks mostly on Kindle. It has best black and white balance. Nook is also not bad at all.
Sometimes, very rarely, I use my 5.7" phone to read.

I read comics with tablet. Has 10" and thinking about getting some 13" tablet.
ben.sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 12:30 PM   #57
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
However, despite experimenting with the color and brightness level, if I read on the phone for too long I end up with eyestrain, so my eink reader will continue to be my primary reading device. I've never had eyestrain issues with the eink reader even if I spend most of a Saturday reading.
I prefer an e-ink device anyway. But on your phone, have you tried a black background with white/gray text?
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 12:31 PM   #58
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben.sawyer View Post
I read comics with tablet. Has 10" and thinking about getting some 13" tablet.
You and me both. If you get that 13" tablet, I'll be jealous. I'd love it, but I'm too cheap to pull the trigger.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 01:05 PM   #59
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I prefer an e-ink device anyway. But on your phone, have you tried a black background with white/gray text?
I didn't like the black background with light text. I found it hard to read, plus the black background seemed to show more noticeable reflections of any lights (or anything light-colored) in the room around me. My best results were with a sepia background with the brightness level set low.

I know from the many past threads about LCD vs eink that some people can read successfully on LCD devices and some can't. Apparently I'm one of the can'ts, at least for reading more than a chapter or two at a time. I figure I can use the phone to read for brief periods like while sitting in the dentist's waiting room, but I will use the eink reader when I plan to read for a longer period of time.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 09:30 AM   #60
ersott
Evangelist
ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite2, Ipad Air, Kobo Aura H2o
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I no longer carry my Kindle wherever I go. These days the Kindle is for reading at home. Whenever I'm out, I pick up right where I left off on my phone's Kindle app.

This is the same for me.

I really read very well in Iphone 7 plus.
ersott is offline   Reply With Quote