Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-17-2016, 12:52 PM   #61
xanderb1940
xanderb1940 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD
Thank You adoresReading!

Thank you so much for your post, adoresReading! I've been tearing my hair out trying work out why Calibre seemed to have suddenly stopped emailing to my kindle.

Everything back to normal now. Thank you again.
xanderb1940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 10:56 AM   #62
Caraibes
Caraibes began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2015
Thumbs up

This worked perfectly, thank you very much, you saved the day for me!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adoresReading View Post
I think I figured it out! This is what worked for me (using Calibre and gmail):

In Calibre go to "Preferences" > "Sharing books by email" :

In the "Send email from box:" make sure your entire gmail address is appearing

In the Mail Server section, fill in the following:

Hostname: smtp.gmail.com Port: 465
Username: (place your entire gmail address here)
Password: (place your gmail's password here)
Encryption: (pick SSL)

(Interestingly, these options were blank when I went in to do the above. Not sure why they were blank as I know I filled them in a few years ago. So somehow, they got "blanked out" recently.)

Secondly, you WILL have to set your gmail account settings to "Allow access for less secure apps". See this link: https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6010255 read if you want (I wanted to which is why I added this link first) and the you will find a link to access your account settings there. Or if you don't care about the first link, you can go directly to the applicable account setting here: https://www.google.com/settings/security/lesssecureapps (make sure "Turn on" is selected).

That's it! You can now use your gmail again if you changed the above settings in Calibre and the one setting in your gmail account. Fingers and toes crossed for anyone in this situation. It worked for me and it worked for my father who also suddenly became afflicted with this error. And he lives hundreds of miles from me.
Caraibes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2016, 12:27 PM   #63
n3ic
n3ic began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Okay, I just registered here to post this. I have been using Calibre 0.94 for years with no email to Kindle problems with multiple devices. Stopped working a few weeks ago as everyone else reports. I upgraded to Calibre 2.64. That version provides a Python error and won't run on Win7-32bit. Downgraded to 1.48 after full uninstall of 2.64. 1.48 gives identical results as 0.94. I have the email preferences set to use my Comcast smtp outgoing server, it successfully tests (as usual). Same as everyone else, test message generates amazon no attachment message. When I send actual ebook file no error message but nothing shown in amazon pending deliveries and nothing ever delivered. If I send the file through Thunderbird using identical email settings as Calibre configured with, it works fine. I am at a loss to understand how Amazon can tell the difference; my machine is sending the file using same outgoing server either with Thunderbird or Calibre. If I send from Calibre to myself the email looks fine. Same originating email address in both cases. Reading the FAQ tells me to use GMX and to select a "GMX button" -- which does not seem to exist in 1.48. Any suggestions now?
n3ic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 02:21 PM   #64
Dixievelcro
Dixievelcro can extract oil from cheeseDixievelcro can extract oil from cheeseDixievelcro can extract oil from cheeseDixievelcro can extract oil from cheeseDixievelcro can extract oil from cheeseDixievelcro can extract oil from cheeseDixievelcro can extract oil from cheeseDixievelcro can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle for Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
And with gmail you have to go into gmail settings and allow third party apps as well. Much easier to use gmx. All this has been documented in exhaustive detail in the calibre FAQ for years. Just follow the instructions in the FAQ and you will be fine. All that's changed recently is that amazon has started blocking more mails that are sent without using a well known mail relay than it used to before. Therefore, it is critical you setup a mail relay, preferably, GMX as described in the FAQ. http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....-using-calibre
Kovid,

This old lady is feeling very stupid about getting gmx working. I was able to follow adoresbooks steps and get gmail working but I'd really rather use gmx.

I have a gmx.com account, used gmx button which filled in the defaults. Triple checked my username and password. Here's the error. Any suggestions?

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\wizard\send_email.py", line 201, in test_email_settings
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\smtp.py", line 128, in sendmail
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\smtplib.py", line 323, in connect
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\smtplib.py", line 298, in _get_socket
File "socket.py", line 571, in create_connection
error: [Errno 10060] A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond

Log:
connect: (u'mail.gmx.com', 587)
connect: (u'mail.gmx.com', 587)

Thank you so much for what you do for us.

Helen C.
Dixievelcro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 02:37 PM   #65
Colc
Enthusiast
Colc began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I also struck trouble relying on default settings, Kovid set me straight in post 58; it might help.
Colc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2016, 02:56 PM   #66
Dixievelcro
Dixievelcro can extract oil from cheeseDixievelcro can extract oil from cheeseDixievelcro can extract oil from cheeseDixievelcro can extract oil from cheeseDixievelcro can extract oil from cheeseDixievelcro can extract oil from cheeseDixievelcro can extract oil from cheeseDixievelcro can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colc View Post
I also struck trouble relying on default settings, Kovid set me straight in post 58; it might help.
I saw your post but my address is xxxxx@gmx.com and I'm using gmx.com and have quadruple checked spelling, etc. etc. Really feeling bamboozled - especially after making the gmail changes and they kicked right in.

I know it is going to be something straightforward but I'm just not seeing it.
Old 08-20-2016, 11:07 PM   #67
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
@n3ic 2.64 works fine on windows 7 32 bit, but in any case you dont need a Use GMX button, all that does is fill in the fields for you. You can always fill them in manually.

@dixievelcro: That is an error connecting to the gmx server, that means there is either some networking trouble or the server is down or something on your computer security/antivirus is blocking the connection.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 12:08 AM   #68
Dixievelcro

I give up with gmx

Quote:
@n3ic
@dixievelcro: That is an error connecting to the gmx server, that means there is either some networking trouble or the server is down or something on your computer security/antivirus is blocking the connection.
I have a little used gmail account that I've just converted to my address for e-mailing to my kindle account. I can't wrap my brain around g-mail works and gmx doesn't work. I tried it with 2 different anti-virus programs.

On another note, thank you for the gmx introduction even if this isn't working for me. I do the web site and e-mail newsletter for our local library and the e-mail newsletter REALLY wanted me to stop using gmail. We now have a gmx account. Thank you.

Last edited by Dixievelcro; 08-21-2016 at 12:50 PM.
Old 08-26-2016, 01:47 AM   #69
maxipwm
maxipwm began at the beginning.

Device: none
worked for me! thankyou so much!!!!!!
maxipwm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 12:54 AM   #70
Dixievelcro

Thumbs up Success!

Quote:
I decided that it was illogical that gmail worked and gmx didn't. So, I used port 465 and SSL with gmx and it is working perfectly.

I don't understand why but it is.

Helen C.
Old 09-02-2016, 01:42 AM   #71
OnMyKindle
OnMyKindle began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD7
Quote:
Originally Posted by adoresReading View Post
I think I figured it out! This is what worked for me (using Calibre and gmail):

In Calibre go to "Preferences" > "Sharing books by email" :

In the "Send email from box:" make sure your entire gmail address is appearing

In the Mail Server section, fill in the following:

Hostname: smtp.gmail.com Port: 465
Username: (place your entire gmail address here)
Password: (place your gmail's password here)
Encryption: (pick SSL)

(Interestingly, these options were blank when I went in to do the above. Not sure why they were blank as I know I filled them in a few years ago. So somehow, they got "blanked out" recently.)

Secondly, you WILL have to set your gmail account settings to "Allow access for less secure apps". See this link: https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6010255 read if you want (I wanted to which is why I added this link first) and the you will find a link to access your account settings there. Or if you don't care about the first link, you can go directly to the applicable account setting here: https://www.google.com/settings/security/lesssecureapps (make sure "Turn on" is selected).

That's it! You can now use your gmail again if you changed the above settings in Calibre and the one setting in your gmail account. Fingers and toes crossed for anyone in this situation. It worked for me and it worked for my father who also suddenly became afflicted with this error. And he lives hundreds of miles from me.
I tried this when I first posted about this problem on my Kindle Fire a couple of weeks ago and it didn't work. On a whim, I decided to try to send to my Kindle using my Gmail account and it worked. I'm not sure what was going on, but the problem has been resolved for me.
OnMyKindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 04:55 PM   #72
Dixievelcro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixievelcro View Post
I decided that it was illogical that gmail worked and gmx didn't. So, I used port 465 and SSL with gmx and it is working perfectly.

I don't understand why but it is.

Helen C.
And, I finally tracked down that the router was blocking port 587. Finally fixed.
Old 09-02-2016, 09:57 PM   #73
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixievelcro View Post
And, I finally tracked down that the router was blocking port 587. Finally fixed.
That is Bizarre
Thanks for reporting back what you found. This may help us shortcut resolution of this issue if it hits someone else
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 09:35 PM   #74
speedlever
Fanatic
speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PW2014, PW2012, iPad Pro
For the record, I've been having the same email to kindle issue as everyone else. I've just been slack about getting around to trying to figure out the problem. I have a gmail account and I've been using Calibre to send via Amazon to my Kindle for years.

I read the fix offered by adoresReading and tried it on my PC. It did not work and test email failed. So I reset the server settings back to what they were (mostly blank except for Port 25 and Encryption TLS.) Now test email works fine again but I still can't email to my Kindle.

I created a gmx account and set it up per the excellent FAQ by Kovid. I did not have a gmx account before, but it was a simple process to set a free account up and configure Calibre to use it. Just use your gmx email address as both your email and user name.

Now Calibre is working just fine sending books to my Kindle again! And I also changed the delay from 301 to 5. I hope that doesn't get me flagged. I don't send that many books, so I expect that won't be a problem. Also, I did not have to allow less secure apps. So that was a plus.
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 01:00 AM   #75
Gavnone
Gavnone began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I apologize, in advance, if this post comes off as rude - our migration, at work, to Office365 is NOT going well (it's a horrible mess, brought on by our District Office's mandate to upgrade) and I work in the Department (I.T. Services) that's responsible for trying to appease the staff who are calling and screaming at us saying that their email is broken.

If I understand this thread correctly, in order to get Calibre to send my RSS feeds (via email) to my Kindle Paperwhite, I have to create a Gmail or GMX account?!

I'm sorry, but after finally closing all of my Google/Gmail related accounts due to privacy concerns as well as I've found better alternatives elsewhere I'm not too keen on opening a brand new gmail account just for use with Calibre. I know that GMX was listed as another viable option - my experience with GMX, however, was not a good one (their Support staff refused to resolve a "bounced emails" issue I was having with one of their email servers.

To me, it's irrelevant as to who caused it (whether it was Calibre or Amazon). At this point, I can either do one of two things:

1. Create a Gmail or GMX account to get this working, which I previously stated I'm not interested in doing.

or

2. Stop using Calibre for my RSS needs and subscribe to one of the low-cost RSS Services and be guaranteed to receive my feeds.

I'll go with the $1.99/month RSS service I found.

Sometimes I REALLY hate Technology!
Gavnone is offline   Reply With Quote