Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-22-2014, 12:39 PM   #16
prom king
Sloshed
prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Sony PRS-500
Yeah I have ×64, but I'll just use an old computer for book transfer. Thanks for the hepl anyway.
prom king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 06:06 AM   #17
evdberg
Enthusiast
evdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five words

Device: Sony PRS-500, Kindle Paperwhite 3
A major topic kick, but up to today I am still using my PRS-500. But after close to 10 years I have bought a Kindle Paperwhite in the black friday sales. I am not sure, but I do not have the feeling the Kindle will last for 10 years ...

Still people out there using the PRS-500? I was going to pass it to my daughter, but found a Kobo Aura 2 for her. Still the unit works fine enough to enjoy reading a book, but I am afraid it will end up boxed in the attic now ...
evdberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2016, 12:31 PM   #18
arjaybe
Wizard
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
I'm using a PRS-650, which is still working fine, with the exception of some sign of reduced battery capacity. I don't know how long this one came out after the 500.
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 09:12 PM   #19
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
I haven't used my 650 for a while but it is still useable, as is my 900.

I usually read on my T2 or T3.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 02:14 AM   #20
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmi View Post
I haven't used my 650 for a while but it is still useable, as is my 900.

I usually read on my T2 or T3.
My daughter in Canada is still using her 650, my wife still uses her T2 every day, and I still use my T3 as my main reader.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2016, 05:29 AM   #21
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
I've been very lucky with my Sony Readers, my son is still using his 8-year old PRS-505 and I read in my 4-year old PRS-T2 everyday.

The 505 has been showing signs of a dying battery for years, but it is still usable. The T2 is as good as new.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 07:56 AM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
My T1 is still good. My 650 no so good as it really does need a new battery. If I was to give the 650 to someone, I'd have to put in a new battery first.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 10:43 AM   #23
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I still have a 505, used it briefly the other day as a matter of fact. As a rule it doesn't get used any more though, but it's still a workable solution if I wanted to borrow a book to someone. The main problem it has (when coming from a more modern device) is that page turns are abysmally slow.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 11:04 AM   #24
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I have/had a sentimental attachment to my X50s, which I've loved in a way I've never responded to other readers. But the reality is that newer generation readers, with front lights and far better resolution, have meant that the beloveds aren't used anymore. I still miss their sleek feel, ease of use, and wonderful foreign language dictionaries, though.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 11:12 AM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The last time my T1 was used was when I loaned it out late summer.
Old 12-12-2016, 11:25 AM   #26
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by evdberg View Post
A major topic kick, but up to today I am still using my PRS-500. But after close to 10 years I have bought a Kindle Paperwhite in the black friday sales. I am not sure, but I do not have the feeling the Kindle will last for 10 years ...

Still people out there using the PRS-500? I was going to pass it to my daughter, but found a Kobo Aura 2 for her. Still the unit works fine enough to enjoy reading a book, but I am afraid it will end up boxed in the attic now ...
Our fellow mobilereader barryem lives in a retirement home (USA) and he might be able to find a grateful user for your PRS-500.

I had one and I have passed it along to a less fortunate book lover when I upgraded to PocketBook 360° a long time ago. I did not have heart to look at such an expensive gadget uselessly gathering dust on a shelf. The unit was built like a tank with a very nice factory cover.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 08:41 PM   #27
Cthulhu
Technologist
Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY Reader PRS-500
I recently re-charged my PRS-500.

Missed sending it in for the firmware update.

Seem to have an issue with battery life.

Any ideas if I can still get the update somewhere?
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 09:21 PM   #28
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post

Has it been sitting around for a long time, probably with an empty battery before you recharged it? That could be the root cause of your battery issue. Most current rechargable batteries don't like sitting around empty for long periods and it can significantly reduce battery capacity. Don't know about the firmware update so I can't help you there.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 03:34 AM   #29
evdberg
Enthusiast
evdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five words

Device: Sony PRS-500, Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Our fellow mobilereader barryem lives in a retirement home (USA) and he might be able to find a grateful user for your PRS-500.
I am afraid that shipping to the US is more expensive than the reader is worth. Considering the cover is badly damaged, the battery is almost dead and it does not have the last firmware. I still enjoy using it, but I know how to handle it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
The unit was built like a tank with a very nice factory cover.
I agree! The metal casing is beautiful and built to last and it shows.
evdberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 06:01 AM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post

Any ideas if I can still get the update somewhere?
You are too late for the ePub update for the 500. Even if you could do it, it's not worth bothering with (IMHO). The device is slow, the screen contrast is poor (by today's standards), it's heavy, and the version of ADE you would get if you could update is really old. It's time to lay your 500 to rest. The battery needs replacing and that's just an added cost to something that's not worth the added cost. You'd be best off buying a Kobo H2O or Aura One.

No you cannot read your LRF eBooks, but any eBooks you did buy from Sony should be sitting at Kobo waiting for you to download in ePub.