Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 02-01-2016, 07:30 AM   #1
frantoo
frantoo is a jewel in the roughfrantoo is a jewel in the roughfrantoo is a jewel in the roughfrantoo is a jewel in the roughfrantoo is a jewel in the roughfrantoo is a jewel in the roughfrantoo is a jewel in the roughfrantoo is a jewel in the roughfrantoo is a jewel in the roughfrantoo is a jewel in the roughfrantoo is a jewel in the rough

Device: Icarus Illumina e653, Onyx Boox i86
Word processor for i86 HD ML Plus (Cloud?)

Hi,

I am testing the Onyx Boox i86 HD ML Plus as a supplement for a tablet, because I get migraines from using normal computer screens.

I would like to do some simple word processing with the i86 and am searching for a word processor which will not crash.
Ideally it would come with some sort of cloud integration like Microsoft OneDrive or Google Drive.

I tested Microsoft's Office mobile (which works fine on the Icarus Illumina e653) and Google Docs, but they both crash once I try to open a document or they simply do not open any documents (not even locally stored ones).

Can you recommend a word processor which works on the i86, ideally with cloud storage capability?

Thanks, Fran

P.S.: I have not installed the Android 4.4 beta yet, might that help with app stability? So far I have installed the apps via manual .apk download.
frantoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 11:24 AM   #2
smayonak
Enthusiast
smayonak is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.smayonak is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.smayonak is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.smayonak is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.smayonak is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.smayonak is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.smayonak is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.smayonak is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.smayonak is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.smayonak is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.smayonak is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Device: Onyx Boox i86+
The i86 in general is prone to freezing and crashing. I get about one crash every day or so.

I suggest looking into transflective displays. There's a few netbooks which can upgrade to transflective (which is an LCD display that can fully turn off the backlight).

EDIT: After reflashing the latest firmware the device is running great! No crashes at all.

Last edited by smayonak; 02-26-2016 at 12:25 PM.
smayonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2016, 10:39 PM   #3
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Mine doesn't crash. What do you have installed?
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 03:10 AM   #4
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by smayonak View Post
The i86 in general is prone to freezing and crashing. I get about one crash every day or so.

I suggest looking into transflective displays. There's a few netbooks which can upgrade to transflective (which is an LCD display that can fully turn off the backlight).
I would say it is rather exception (freezes on i86) and freezes are mostly caused by some third party apps, installed by user. Of many thousand sold i86 I got just a couple complains about freezes on i86, thus I would not speak about tends. Sorry if your device has got those problems. Did you try to contact support to find the reason of the problem?
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 01:13 PM   #5
smayonak
Enthusiast
smayonak is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.smayonak is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.smayonak is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.smayonak is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.smayonak is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.smayonak is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.smayonak is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.smayonak is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.smayonak is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.smayonak is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.smayonak is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Device: Onyx Boox i86+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
I would say it is rather exception (freezes on i86) and freezes are mostly caused by some third party apps, installed by user. Of many thousand sold i86 I got just a couple complains about freezes on i86, thus I would not speak about tends. Sorry if your device has got those problems. Did you try to contact support to find the reason of the problem?
UPDATE2: I reflashed the latest firmware and it's running great without crashes. Maybe I had a bad flash? No crashes for several days now. Everything is running great!

Last edited by smayonak; 02-26-2016 at 12:25 PM.
smayonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2016, 06:11 PM   #6
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I have been working using Kingsoft/WPS office very intensively (hundreds of hours), with the Onyx tablets and a bluetooth keyboard.
Matter is, I did it mostly with the Onyx T68, and very effectively so.
Unfortunately, the i86 (original firmware) has a different set-up, and the screen is refreshed seldom, in comparison to the T68. Which means, you get video feedback with great delay - and it is a pain to work with. I have been hoping that a firmware upgrade would remove this problem, but I have not tried yet.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
i86