Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 06-13-2020, 06:52 AM   #1
Kevan
Kevan began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
Mimic the Calibre Export Library using CLI

Hi,

Is it possible to mimic the Calibre Export Library option from the command line?
I'd like to build a batch file that export the library and plug-ins to a local drive & then use another program to copy them to my backup device.

I've used the export library option to copy my library to a new pc and it works just fine, so seems to be the best "belt & braces" backup solution - unless others think there are better options.

Always open to suggestions.

Thank you in advance,

Kevan
Kevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 07:07 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre-debug --export-all-calibre-data
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2020, 06:53 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Kevan - calibre's export/import feature was designed to migrate calibre data between computers, including between computers using different operating/file system platforms - e.g. MacOS/HFS+ to Windows/NTFS.

IMO a better backup solution is to use a file synchronisation tool to maintain a replica copy of the data (aka as a mirror or incremental backup) ==>> Comparison of file synchronization software

Advantages are:
  • Speed, after the initial use only the files that have changed since last use are copied, which promotes frequent backups - e.g daily;
  • Non proprietary, the backup copy is exactly the same as the original, hence:

• the same programs can be used on the backup data as are used on the original,
    • individual items can be judiciously restored, e.g. if you inadvertently lose or overwrite a cover you can restore the cover (and only the cover) you had from backup,
    • special tools not needed to restore datasets - e.g. a calibre library or configuration folder, music album, last years holiday snaps etc; just use the OS file management tool (File Explorer, Finder, Nautilus etc).
BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 06-13-2020 at 06:55 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 09:42 AM   #4
Kevan
Kevan began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
Thanks to Both

Dear Kovid and BetterRed,

Thank you both for your prompt replies.

BetterRed - I do actually do a daily file sync. as well. (As I say I like belt & braces) but your reply has me thinking about the best software to use.

I'm about to invest in a switch and have a small home network which gives me the opportunity for a NAS or at least some form of network storage, so I think I'll review my sync. software - Thanks.
Kevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 06:44 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Kevan - I've used Goodsync for 10+ years. I sync daily to a local USB3 disk dock, and weekly to a commercial FTP service.

FreeFileSync is used by quite a few calibre users to sync locally and/or to services such as Dropbox, OneDrive etc. Today, I'd probably go with FFS if I were making the decision I made 10-12 years ago.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
backup export library cli