Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-26-2012, 03:59 PM   #1
bmsleight
bmsleight will become famous soon enoughbmsleight will become famous soon enoughbmsleight will become famous soon enoughbmsleight will become famous soon enoughbmsleight will become famous soon enoughbmsleight will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 3
Kindle 4 NT - Updated Screen-saver code, updated hack

Hi,

I think Amazon have updated the Screen-saver code. My kindle is 4.0 Non-touch. I am running Version Kindle 4.0 (1308590058)

Short Summary: Regardless of where the directory for screensave images is linked to the filenames must match the exact files names of the original Amazon files.

Long Version:
I have tried the usual method for updating the screensaver.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=161086
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=168318
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fG_pGDMsAYo
http://www.craig-russell.co.uk/kindl...screen-savers/

But, this did not work. The only thing that did work was putting one of the Amazon files, back in the symlinked directory.

* Not Worked: Any.jpg within symlinked directory.
* Not Worked: Any.png within symlinked directory.
* Not Worked: 01.png within symlinked directory. Amazon png (01N.png), with a different file name

* Worked: 01N.png (Amazon's version) within symlinked directory.
* Worked: 01N.png within symlinked directory. Edited with GIMP
* Worked: 01N.png within symlinked directory. Any png made with GIMP with the exact file name
* Worked: 01N.png within symlinked directory. Any png made with ImageMagic with the exact file name

I then copied all the Amazon.png back to the symlinked directory. The files scrolled round in normal random fashion.
(By a scroll I mean turn the kindle on and off...)

I then removed, 17 out of the 20 files. Then in a scroll of the screensaver a mix of a blank screensaver and some of the normal files.

So finally I have...
* Worked: 01N.png within symlinked directory. Any file renamed to the exact file names of one of the twenty files. This could be a jpg or png, but the file must be named as per the original files names.

Exact list of files names:-
01N.png
02N2.png
03N2.png
04N.png
05N.png
06N.png
07N.png
08N.png
09N.png
10N.png
11N2.png
12N.png
13N2.png
14N.png
15N.png
16N.png
17N.png
18N.png
19N.png
20N2.png

I can confirm that no mater what other files are in the directory, Kindle will only scroll through the above filenames, in the exact order, starting from 01N.png

This is slightly annoying from amazon, but hey-ho. Trivial to over come. I attached a zip file of blank png files I used for testing.

Hope this helps others.

Regards,
Brendan
Attached Files
File Type: zip blank_files_correct_names.zip (71.8 KB, 433 views)
bmsleight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:25 PM   #2
hostar
Zealot
hostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle 4 non-touch
I have my screensaver files called like screensvr0.jpg, screensvr1.jpg... and it works.

I used same hack like you and what I realized is:
Kindle will load new pictures after restart (Menu -> Settings -> Menu -> Restart).
hostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2012, 03:57 PM   #3
deed02392
deed02392 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 (Non-touch)
I can confirm that screensvr01.jpg etc works. I just grabbed some screenies off:

http://kindlewallpapers.tumblr.com

and dragged 'em into /opt/amazon/screensavers/600x800 (something like that)

deleted all the stock ones and voila. New screensavers.
deed02392 is offline   Reply With Quote