Old 08-04-2007, 04:02 PM   #1
canicula
Enthusiast
canicula doesn't littercanicula doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, MacBook Air
Technical Document Examples

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It won't replace my Reader for fiction, but I can see myself using it for all sorts of things that the Reader can't do.
I'd really like to get an iLiad for reading PDFs. Journal articles and technical documentation mainly. Would it be possible for someone with an iLiad to load these PDFs from the Apple and VMware docs and take pictures showing how they look on an iLiad? Would be very useful.

Maybe page 69 of:
http://developer.apple.com/documenta...Guidelines.pdf

And page 21 of:
http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3_301_201_san_cfg.pdf

Ian
canicula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 07:11 PM   #2
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
I took the pictures in standard mode, and also with the full screen ipdf version.

I also have the photography skills of an untrain monkey, so bear with me.

Both documents are very readable in both modes. Full screen especially makes the second look great (after zooming to crop the margins).
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2007, 08:46 AM   #3
canicula
Enthusiast
canicula doesn't littercanicula doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, MacBook Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
Both documents are very readable in both modes. Full screen especially makes the second look great (after zooming to crop the margins).
Thanks for this Adam. It's very useful. Those PDFs look fine on the Iliad. Very tempted now. Also looking at a 2nd hand Compaq TC1000 Tablet PC for PDF viewing.

Thanks for taking the time to do the screenshots.

Ian
canicula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 12:49 PM   #4
robvarga
Connoisseur
robvarga began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook Mini
Quote:
I took the pictures in standard mode, and also with the full screen ipdf version.
Hi Adam,

could you also please post a couple of photos about the following?

http://www.manning-source.com/books/...tate2_ch06.pdf

Could you please post a couple of hi-resolution photos of the book page 183 which show how the page looks like when showing the entire page (so that I need not scroll back and forth during paging) and what is the best display achievable for the picture on the page?

Many thanks in advance,

Robert
robvarga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 01:06 PM   #5
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Quote:
Originally Posted by robvarga View Post
Hi Adam,

could you also please post a couple of photos about the following?

http://www.manning-source.com/books/...tate2_ch06.pdf

Could you please post a couple of hi-resolution photos of the book page 183 which show how the page looks like when showing the entire page (so that I need not scroll back and forth during paging) and what is the best display achievable for the picture on the page?

Many thanks in advance,

Robert
That link sends me to the main page of their site. Do you have another link?
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2007, 12:54 AM   #6
quek
Enthusiast
quek will become famous soon enoughquek will become famous soon enoughquek will become famous soon enoughquek will become famous soon enoughquek will become famous soon enoughquek will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS500, Iliad
Hi Adam

I am also considering buying an Iliad and have the same concerns as Robert regarding pdf display. Would you mind trying the attached pdf file and taking a picture of the display?

Is it possible to zoom in and display only a portion of one of the columns?

Quek
Attached Files
File Type: pdf test.pdf (169.3 KB, 558 views)
quek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 02:22 PM   #7
robvarga
Connoisseur
robvarga began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook Mini
Quote:
That link sends me to the main page of their site. Do you have another link?
What you described seems to be the Manning webserver checking for links to the free content from other web pages (if it finds a non-Manning Http-Referrer header it redirects to the main page).

Please copy the link by the "Copy link location" context menu item (not by a text copy as the text of the link is abbreviated by the forum engine), open a new browser window and paste the copied link to the new window. It works for me that way.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention, anyway.

Best regards,

Robert
robvarga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 07:41 PM   #8
recordsmith
recordsmith began at the beginning.

Device: Blackberry Curve
I am very interested in this product. I will be exclusivly viewing PDFs. I was wondering can you view them in Landscape mode and do they look ok? I don't mind scrolling I just want to be able to read PDFs.
Thanks
recordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 03:12 AM   #9
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Yes, you can read in landscape mode. You have a continuous mode on the iLiad, which lets you flip through the pages by using the flipbar and displaying a screenful of page after the other (almost like reading one half page after the other)

Reading like this is almost 1:1 size with A4 pages. Very comfortable to read. If you read scientific papers with colums, you should check out the multi column viewer, made by wpd http://forum.irexnet.com/viewtopic.php?t=1953

Last edited by tribble; 10-30-2007 at 03:14 AM.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 09:57 AM   #10
quek
Enthusiast
quek will become famous soon enoughquek will become famous soon enoughquek will become famous soon enoughquek will become famous soon enoughquek will become famous soon enoughquek will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS500, Iliad
Here you go!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040440.JPG
Views:	972
Size:	201.9 KB
ID:	6926  
quek is offline   Reply With Quote