Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-30-2010, 04:04 PM   #1
khintul
Enthusiast
khintul doesn't litterkhintul doesn't litter

Device: Kindle2, Kindle 3, PRS-300, PRS-350, PaperWhite 1, Kobo Aura HD
Lesson learned - library lending

OK, so I'm new to this library lending of ebooks. I got a Sony pocket reader strictly for the purpose of checking out books from my library.

I had checked out 3 books; finished one well before the 14 days had run, returned it to the library when I finished. I didn't delete the book from my reader, and since it still had some time, it was still there.

The remaining two books still had 10 days left on their time but I hadn't finished reading them yet. I went ahead and sent them on back to the library thinking I was doing a good thing. Continued reading, no problem. OK, fine, I think I've got this thing figured out.

Today I got a notice from the library that one of my requests is now ready - I still had 7 days left on the books on my reader that I'd returned. I went ahead and checked out the new book, and after I transferred it to my reader from ADE, then sure enough I wasn't able to read the books with 7 days still left on their time.

I'd thought about this when I went to check out the new book, and since neither of the 2 books I had was terribly thrilling to me I figured this would be my trial to see just how it was going to go; if I lost them the sky wouldn't fall.

So I guess the lesson learned here is, don't return books early unless you've finished, or almost finished, reading them. Also, once you've sent something back early, don't connect the reader to the computer until you're ready to have whatever you've put on there no longer available.
khintul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 06:26 PM   #2
laughingdragons
Groupie
laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350 1 Pink 1 Silver Paperwhite Kindle
Best thing to do if you do return them early is don't connect your reader to your pc until you do read them. Once you do connect it updates your reader that you returned them.
laughingdragons is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2010, 06:28 PM   #3
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
This is not true for audiobooks, by the way. They can be listened-to after expiration.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 06:31 PM   #4
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
This is not true for audiobooks, by the way. They can be listened-to after expiration.
It is true with Overdrive library audiobooks. It stays on your iPod for weeks or months if you do not plug into your computer. (Use wall chargers)
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 06:37 PM   #5
CandyDane
Enthusiast
CandyDane has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CandyDane has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CandyDane has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CandyDane has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad 4
I havent tried it yet, but I THINK if I set Sony's Reader Library not to automatically sync my reader to my computer the library book will be OK until I delete it or manually sync my reader.

That way I can connect my reader to my computer to recharge it without the Reader Library automatically syncing & deleting the library books I haven't finished reading yet.

I can manually add books from my computer to my reader as long as it's only a couple at a time.

Anyone know if I'm right?
CandyDane is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2010, 06:38 PM   #6
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyDane View Post
I havent tried it yet, but I THINK if I set Sony's Reader Library not to automatically sync my reader to my computer the library book will be OK until I delete it or manually sync my reader.

That way I can connect my reader to my computer to recharge it without the Reader Library automatically syncing & deleting the library books I haven't finished reading yet.

I can manually add books from my computer to my reader as long as it's only a couple at a time.

It will be a glorious experiment!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 07:46 PM   #7
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
I did something like that with the confession by John Grisham, I was number 2 on the list got it after a few days, and then deleted a copy in ade (hadn't plugged my ereader in yet, welllll that was two months ago i just got it now, i was mad
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 07:58 PM   #8
Doogman
Connoisseur
Doogman has learned how to read e-booksDoogman has learned how to read e-booksDoogman has learned how to read e-booksDoogman has learned how to read e-booksDoogman has learned how to read e-booksDoogman has learned how to read e-booksDoogman has learned how to read e-booksDoogman has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nook ST
You can charge your Sony with a wall-wart. No worries about computer sync with this approach.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99760
Doogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:19 PM   #9
tselling
Addict
tselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enough

Device: NookColor (MiRage/CM7.2 & Moon+ Reader Pro)
The whole idea of returning the ebook early is that you are done with it. Like a physical book from the library, you wouldn't return it before you were done reading it (unless you didn't want to finish it). If you lose an ebook from your reader that you didn't return (and didn't expire) then that sounds like a bug with the system.
tselling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 04:37 AM   #10
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by khintul View Post
So I guess the lesson learned here is, don't return books early unless you've finished
That's a good lesson for paper books too
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 07:35 AM   #11
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
Quote:
Originally Posted by khintul View Post
So I guess the lesson learned here is, don't return books early unless you've finished, or almost finished, reading them.
The amount of sense this makes is mind-boggling. Truly.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 07:48 AM   #12
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Quote:

Didn't work that way for me. I discovered this "trick" of returning but still reading soon after I started checking out library books, but when I hooked up to my computer again, the book became unreadable (protected page). I only use manual sync. It just "knows"

One other trick is that if your time is up and you are close to finishing the book, you can continue reading it on you reader as long as you don't "exit" the book. If you put it into sleep mode with the book still opened, you can continue reading it until you back out of the book, even after the expiration date. That came in very handy when the return date came and I was just pages away from finishing.

I did a lot of experimenting early on
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 09:20 AM   #13
khintul
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
Didn't work that way for me. I discovered this "trick" of returning but still reading soon after I started checking out library books, but when I hooked up to my computer again, the book became unreadable (protected page). I only use manual sync. It just "knows"

One other trick is that if your time is up and you are close to finishing the book, you can continue reading it on you reader as long as you don't "exit" the book. If you put it into sleep mode with the book still opened, you can continue reading it until you back out of the book, even after the expiration date. That came in very handy when the return date came and I was just pages away from finishing.

I did a lot of experimenting early on
I'm experimenting here too - I also only use manual sync; don't use the Sony Library at all, just ADE.

My thought process in returning early was that once I had the book on my reader it would stay active for the allowed time, and by going ahead and returning I could free up a copy for the next person in line, while still being able to finish reading the book.

I've used Overdrive audio books for several years, and once I've downloaded the audiobook to the mp3 player it stays there until I delete it, but the audiobooks have no option for early return.

Experimenting will continue.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:33 AM   #14
khintul
Enthusiast

Quote:

I don't think you are - I'm not using the Sony Reader library at all, and only manually drag the book from ADE to my reader. I think connecting your reader to your computer at all will cause the book to be unreadable.

It's a simple matter to charge the reader without any use of the computer, but you wouldn't be able to add any books without rendering the previous books unreadable if their time had expired.