Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-21-2010, 12:32 AM   #16
Stonecold
Connoisseur
Stonecold will become famous soon enoughStonecold will become famous soon enoughStonecold will become famous soon enoughStonecold will become famous soon enoughStonecold will become famous soon enoughStonecold will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 3 (B006)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
AFAIK, you can no longer access the recovery mode *without* doing a factory reset since FW 2.5. (ie. it's now hold [home] during a cold boot => reset => hold [home] => recovery instead of hold [home] during a cold boot => recovery).
When you say "reset", do you mean typing in R E S E T to reset to factory defaults or do you mean you do a cold reset, hold Home, do another reset, and hold Home again?
Stonecold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 12:49 AM   #17
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Yeah, the 'type reset' screen, my bad (in fact, you hold [home] *after* having typed reset, on the reset to factory defaults progress bar screen [which is actually the usual boy on tree + progress bar screen, like a classic boot]).

At least I haven't found a way to access the recovery menu directly, without having to actually *do* the factory reset . (Granted, I didn't try really hard though. )

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-21-2010 at 12:54 AM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2010, 12:53 AM   #18
Stonecold
Connoisseur
Stonecold will become famous soon enoughStonecold will become famous soon enoughStonecold will become famous soon enoughStonecold will become famous soon enoughStonecold will become famous soon enoughStonecold will become famous soon enough

And there's no way to bring a Kindle 3 into recovery mode without doing a factory reset? Sigh...
Old 10-21-2010, 12:56 AM   #19
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I tried this on a FW 2.5 K2i, but apparently it still works the same way on FW 3.x.

So, yeah, unless there's a new trick to be discovered somewhere, I haven't found a way to bypass the reset to factory defaults .

(Unless you have a serial console connected, in which case you probably could access the recovery util via the bootloader).
Old 10-21-2010, 01:01 AM   #20
Stonecold
Connoisseur

Then do you know if there's a way to uninstall a hack that's preventing my Kindle from entering USB mode without doing a factory reset?
Advert
Old 10-21-2010, 01:04 AM   #21
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Besides actually *using* usbnetwork, and a serial console, no.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:14 AM   #22
Stonecold
Connoisseur

When I plug my Kindle into my computer, my computer beeps and says "Found new hardware: RDNIS/ethernet gadget" ore something. It then prompts me to install the software for the device but can't find any. It then says the installation failed. Is there a way to get my computer to recognize this "ethernet gadget"? And if I do get that to work, what is the UI like? Is it a command prompt window or a normal USB device window or what?
Old 10-21-2010, 02:29 AM   #23
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Check the usbnet thread in the dev subforum, I don't use Windows.
Old 10-21-2010, 03:40 AM   #24
ichbindasauge
Connoisseur
ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 US, iPad, Samsung Win 8 Tablet
Attached is the driver I use with the network hack under Windows. Don't know if that might help you.
Attached Files
File Type: zip driver.zip (1.9 KB, 222 views)
ichbindasauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 03:47 AM   #25
Stonecold
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichbindasauge View Post
Attached is the driver I use with the network hack under Windows. Don't know if that might help you.
Does it work with Windows 7 or Windows XP? And what's the UI like? How easy would it be for me to delete a folder from the root of my Kindle?
Old 10-21-2010, 03:50 AM   #26
Stonecold
Connoisseur

Also, would you mind e-mailing that to me in an attachment? My e-mail address is agaimari@sbcglobal.net
Old 10-21-2010, 04:06 AM   #27
ichbindasauge
Connoisseur
ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 US, iPad, Samsung Win 8 Tablet
The only thing I use it for, is to telnet into my Kindle 2 (US only wireless) to set the time (I'm outside the US and cannot have my clock set over whispernet). I don't have experience with anything else.

Do a search for usb networking and also read the whole thread about the 2.5 hacks.

Also read this Thread:https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49350 ,
especially this post: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...068#post617068

Some of the information in that thread is probably outdated and not true for the newest Kindle, so be careful.

I do think somebody with some more knowledge should write a wiki with all the information in one spot.

I'll email the file to you (why don't you download it from here???), but you better delete your address from your post.

Last edited by ichbindasauge; 10-21-2010 at 04:15 AM.
ichbindasauge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
backup, hacks, kindle 3, usb, wireless