Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-13-2010, 03:24 PM   #1
sacoward
sacoward began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Kindle, Calibre, & Fetch News

Is there an issue with Calibre "Fetch News" and the kindle with news delivered via email (****@free.kindle.com)? It works flawlessly for the first issue delivered in a day, but the subsequent issues of the same feed sent on the same day do not appear until the previous issues is deleted. Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

thanks!
sacoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 06:28 PM   #2
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
Well can you tell me how you're even getting it to work? I'm using username@kindle.com as that's what the settings & amazon.com say my kindle email is.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2010, 06:36 PM   #3
ski_power
Book eater
ski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 3 G 3G (<-lol)
This might help you, I had a very similar problem.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99557
ski_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 11:18 PM   #4
brewjono
Zealot
brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, KPW
Something else you might consider.

I note that you say "subsequent issues of the same feed on the same day". What I have noted is that because the newsfeed is the same name, and you can't have the same named item twice, on mine it moves the first feed to the "periodicals" section on the last page of my kindle. It is a bit like the "archived items" section.

I get the Sydney morning herald and if I don't delete it each day then it drops it into the periodicals so that the freshest feed is on the main page.

Brewjono.
brewjono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 06:50 AM   #5
janvanmaar
Addict
janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3G, Samsung SIII
Yes, I can confirm it behaves exactly the same way for me.
As brewjono mentioned, it seems that Kindle does not support multiple updates of a feed in the same day and just saves all the subsequent issues in the 'periodicals: back issues' collection. Perhaps it is to prevent users from flooding the servers by frequent updates?
Of course you can still use it, it just takes few clicks more to read from periodicals collection than from home...
I tried to think of a workaround but nothing clever came to my mind...
janvanmaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2010, 07:14 AM   #6
janvanmaar
Addict
janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3G, Samsung SIII
It works flawlessly for Amazon subscriptions blogs though!
I have subscribed to Daily Kos and I get the updates many times a day, always updated in Home. No older issues are saved in periodicals collection.
Could it be that the RSS feeds should be marked as blog to get this behaviour? I am going to have a look at this and let you know...
janvanmaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 09:50 PM   #7
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacoward View Post
Is there an issue with Calibre "Fetch News" and the kindle with news delivered via email (****@free.kindle.com)? It works flawlessly for the first issue delivered in a day, but the subsequent issues of the same feed sent on the same day do not appear until the previous issues is deleted. Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

thanks!
Have you tried tagging the news file as "keep" when you get it on the Kindle, and before the next file is sent?

If you don't know how to do this, put the underline marker on the news file on your home page, cursor to the right, and select the Keep item on the popup menu.

I do this with Instapaper and I wind up with multiple files with the same name but different content in the Periodicals: Back Issues collection.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote