Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 04-22-2017, 04:52 AM   #976
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, Marvin 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
OK. The only reason I asked is that when companies publish battery lifetime figure in days, there's normally a footnote saying what conditions it's applicable to. Eg Amazon quote Kindle battery lifetimes based on half an hour's reading a day with WiFi turned off.
I agree, Kobo does something similar.

The "20 days" reference was only in the video, and isn't on the Onyx website as far as I can make out. In fact it contradicts the website which says 4 weeks standby. No footnotes anywhere that I can see.
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 05:50 AM   #977
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
With Wi-Fi and Bluetooth turned on battery life is stated as one week. Still nothing on hours per day though.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 12:14 PM   #978
KirillM
KirillM began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
hi I'm thinking about a purchase but need help. I'm reading a lot from safaribooksonline.com and now want to try reading on onyx boox max carta. Can someone try installing Safari Queue app and see if it installs/works?

thanks!
KirillM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 08:08 PM   #979
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirillM View Post
hi I'm thinking about a purchase but need help. I'm reading a lot from safaribooksonline.com and now want to try reading on onyx boox max carta. Can someone try installing Safari Queue app and see if it installs/works?

thanks!
The old app didn't work great but the mobile html url worked fine.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 02:36 PM   #980
KirillM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
The old app didn't work great but the mobile html url worked fine.
now I see it... Seems app requires Android 4.1, but Onyx Boox Max Carta runs Android 4.0 (

thank you so much for checking it!
Old 05-03-2017, 01:09 PM   #981
Drew22
Connoisseur
Drew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Onyx Boox MAX
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirillM View Post
now I see it... Seems app requires Android 4.1, but Onyx Boox Max Carta runs Android 4.0 (

thank you so much for checking it!
Hi Kirill,

Booxtor told me he will upload in a few days both the European version of the 1.8.2 update and the optional upgrade to Android 4.4. Anyway, I sold my Onyx Boox and placed an order for Onyx Boox Max Carta. As soon as the device comes, I'll install Android 4.4, test it and make a review for all the readers here.

As for your problem, in theory the Android 4.4 should be sufficient for using your app.
Drew22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 02:56 PM   #982
bsnick
Zealot
bsnick began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx M96+, T68+, Max2, YP2, HiSense A2 Pro
Awesome on the 4.4 news. The scuttlebutt was April, but I expected it a few months later. I'm already running 4.4 without issues, so I might wait until something breaks, though.
bsnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 05:15 PM   #983
KirillM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew22 View Post
Hi Kirill,

Booxtor told me he will upload in a few days both the European version of the 1.8.2 update and the optional upgrade to Android 4.4. Anyway, I sold my Onyx Boox and placed an order for Onyx Boox Max Carta. As soon as the device comes, I'll install Android 4.4, test it and make a review for all the readers here.

As for your problem, in theory the Android 4.4 should be sufficient for using your app.
wow, awesome! if Safari Queue app works I'll definitely buy this book!
Old 05-04-2017, 03:17 AM   #984
viceant
Addict
viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-t1, Boyue Likebook Plus (T80s), Boyue Likebook Mimas
Red face

Quote:
Hi Kirill,

... Anyway, I sold my Onyx Boox and placed an order for Onyx Boox Max Carta...
If it is not tactless, would you mind say when yours is arriving?
viceant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 07:13 AM   #985
Drew22
Connoisseur
Drew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by viceant View Post
If it is not tactless, would you mind say when yours is arriving?
There is a chance for Saturday, but a safer bet would be to receive the e-reader next week since there is no tracking number available yet for my order.

@ chrisridd All the e-readers on the market have in my opinion overgenerous (and not realistic) battery life specifications nowadays. If you use your e-reader intensively (i.e. 4 hours per day or more) and connect it to the Internet via WI-FI the real duration of one charge will go surely under one week.
Old 05-04-2017, 07:17 AM   #986
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
@ chrisridd All the e-readers on the market have in my opinion overgenerous (and not realistic) battery life specifications nowadays. If you use your e-reader intensively (i.e. 4 hours per day or more) and connect it to the Internet via WI-FI the real duration of one charge will go surely under one week.
Amazon tend to be somewhat conservative in their battery estimates in my experience. I get considerably better battery life from my Voyage than they quote. But yes, I agree that a sub-1-week battery life is to be expected in the circumstances you describe; WiFi is the biggest power drain in any device, after the screen.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 01:21 PM   #987
Drew22
Connoisseur

Look, both the updates for the European languages and the official upgrade to 4.4 are there: http://ereader-store.de/en/content/8-downloads
Can anyone say how is Android 4.4 working on Onyx Boox Max? Are any remarkable differences in functionality and/or reaction speed between 4.04 and 4.4?
Old 05-04-2017, 02:26 PM   #988
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, Marvin 3
Quote:
Look, both the updates for the European languages and the official upgrade to 4.4 are there: http://ereader-store.de/en/content/8-downloads
Can anyone say how is Android 4.4 working on Onyx Boox Max? Are any remarkable differences in functionality and/or reaction speed between 4.04 and 4.4?
It is marked as pre-release, and it requires Windows to install. Is Windows a requirement for all firmware updates?
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 03:12 PM   #989
Drew22
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisridd View Post
It is marked as pre-release, and it requires Windows to install. Is Windows a requirement for all firmware updates?
Yes, windows is required even for transferring the update file to your device. I tried once to update my e-reader over a Mac and the update failed.
Old 05-04-2017, 04:17 PM   #990
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisridd View Post
The 1.8.2 Firmware is official, I believe, and does not seem to require Windows. The update instructions simply state:

Quote:
Copy update.zip to the root folder of your device (it means don't copy it in any sub-folder on it).
Afterwards go to Settings -> About ->System Update -> Check Update from local Storage?

It is only the uprgrade to Android 4.4 which is a pre-release version, and which requires the MFG tool.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote