Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-16-2017, 10:24 AM   #16
hedwig
Book Worm
hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Air, iPad Mini, iPod Touch 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I saw this on the link you provided:

*Online registration does not allow access to our downloadable e-books, e-audiobooks and online courses.
Non-residents cannot apply online. You have to contact them via email and they will send you an application form and instructions for payment. Once you get the library card, you have access to their digital content via Overdrive, Hoopla and OneClickDigital.
hedwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 12:04 PM   #17
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by hedwig View Post
Non-residents cannot apply online. You have to contact them via email and they will send you an application form and instructions for payment. Once you get the library card, you have access to their digital content via Overdrive, Hoopla and OneClickDigital.
That sounds like a plan.

Thank you!
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 12:10 PM   #18
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Houston was a bit confusing for me at first too. But then I realized that none of that had applied to me. They give anyone living in Texas a card for free. Its a 3 year card. Just like as if you lived in Houston. I did it all online, but of course, they technically count me as a resident, I just don't have to go in person thankfully. Would be a bit long drive all the way to Houston. Texas is just so friggin big.

So anyone that lives in Texas, need to have ID, and your local library is a bit thin, you can apply for a Houston PL card for free online. There is a form, they send you a card with a pin.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 01:42 PM   #19
hedwig
Book Worm
hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Air, iPad Mini, iPod Touch 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
That sounds like a plan.

Thank you!
You're welcome. Enjoy your card when you get it
hedwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 11:09 AM   #20
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
Does the Brooklyn Library have Zinio magazines to check out? I know the Philadelphia library does.
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 11:15 AM   #21
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Man View Post
Does the Brooklyn Library have Zinio magazines to check out? I know the Philadelphia library does.
I don't think so. They have Flipster instead.

http://support.ebsco.com/promotion/p...rted_guide.pdf

Last edited by jhowell; 04-06-2017 at 11:18 AM.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 11:55 AM   #22
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Thanks, Just applied to the Brooklyn library (out of state) so I'll check out Flipster.
Old 04-06-2017, 12:53 PM   #23
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Thanks for this pointer. I just updated some of the Oregon information.

I think I need to go get a Multnomah County card now. I wonder what their e-library has that the ODLC doesn't have... hmmm...
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 03:05 PM   #24
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
Or you could become a virtual resident if you have a friend with a spare electron or two. I seem to live in Devon with some remote cousins.
piperclassique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 04:32 PM   #25
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Thanks for this pointer. I just updated some of the Oregon information.

I think I need to go get a Multnomah County card now. I wonder what their e-library has that the ODLC doesn't have... hmmm...
Well, I decided to go get a Multnomah card today so I could compare. I am glad I did:
Code:
              ODLC     Multnomah
Total items:  39,919   100,786
Kindle Books: 21,087   65,253
ePub Books:   23,360   68,465
Audio Books:  11,000+  24,000+
Nearly 3x the ebooks available, more than 2x the audio titles and 2.5x overall items. Nice!

Edit: I can also check out and hold up to 15 titles at a time (each), compared to 6 at the ODLC.

Last edited by Dazrin; 04-14-2017 at 05:00 PM.
Old 04-14-2017, 05:15 PM   #26
davem2bits
Enthusiast
davem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windows

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Well, I decided to go get a Multnomah card today so I could compare. I am glad I did:
Code:
              ODLC     Multnomah
Total items:  39,919   100,786
Kindle Books: 21,087   65,253
ePub Books:   23,360   68,465
Audio Books:  11,000+  24,000+
Nearly 3x the ebooks available, more than 2x the audio titles and 2.5x overall items. Nice!
Great, just what I don't need. More competition.

FYI, you don't need a library card to find out how many ebooks/audio books a library has available. I poke around other city's library sites when I'm trying to decide which way to go to get out of this god awful rain.
davem2bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 05:56 PM   #27
Dazrin
Wizard

I do return them as soon as I finish a book instead of holding them till they expire, normally about 2.5 weeks after I finish reading them, so I shouldn't add too much to your wait times.
Old 04-15-2017, 08:40 AM   #28
The Old Man
Fanatic

I applied and received membership in the Brooklyn Public Library all on line. No problems. The library is excellent allowing 15 titles to be checked out at one time and 10 holds. They boast 129,000 titles of all formats and 21,000 audio titles. I was fearful that titles I would like would be on hold for so many that I would never get to see them. Not so. Well worth the $50/year fee.
Old 04-15-2017, 11:57 AM   #29
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Man View Post
I applied and received membership in the Brooklyn Public Library all on line. No problems. The library is excellent allowing 15 titles to be checked out at one time and 10 holds. They boast 129,000 titles of all formats and 21,000 audio titles. I was fearful that titles I would like would be on hold for so many that I would never get to see them. Not so. Well worth the $50/year fee.
Yes, I've had a non-resident card from Brooklyn for the past year. Great selection, and it made a nice complement to my local system's offerings. I didn't renew, but only because my backlog is more than enough to tide me over for a while.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 04:21 PM   #30
Dazrin
Wizard

Quote:
Well, I decided to go get a Multnomah card today so I could compare.
And today I found out that my home library is leaving the Oregon Digital Library Consortium in June for their own Overdrive account. I wonder what that will do to wait times? They say they will be buying more titles but who knows what that will actually mean for the books I read. Extra glad I got the Multnomah County one now. Although, it might be worth getting a third library card so I can keep using the ODLC; the regional libraries all allow you to get a membership from neighboring counties.