Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-16-2017, 09:43 AM   #16
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinThought View Post
I've got that going on in something I'm working on now. I have a specific style I've gotten from somewhere else on this forum, and during testing I placed it into a separate stylesheet (for some reason--it seemed to be the thing to do at the time). That style is used in only about five or six chapters out of the book, so I have only linked that sheet to those chapters.

So my question is, is there a speed issue here? Could linking that unused stylesheet--or copying those specific styles into my main stylesheet--cause some slowdown in the overall epub? --Or the inverse, could copying that style into my main stylesheet and deleting the "extra" one speed up the the process?

I've been curious about this because my I re-use the same stylesheet in every epub I do, and it has styles that are often not used in that specific book. And I don't go out of my way to delete the unused styles at the end of development. So am I setting a little "time"-bomb here?
Do you mean when more than one css file is linked with an html file? That's the only way I could see there being any "slow down" (though I'm not certain how it would be measured).

Even if every html file had its own css file, I can't see how that would affect performance. The css for each file has to be parsed when each new html file is opened regardless of whether it's identical to the previous one or not. If one of the css files is massively huge, there may be a difference. But that would be the same with any massively huge file, I would think.

No, I don't think performance would take a measurable hit by having html files use different, reasonably-sized css files (nor even by having some html files having multiple, smaller-sized css file linked).

The only measurable performance lag I notice with epubs is with the initial loading-time of massive html files.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 06:47 PM   #17
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Bloated CSS will slow things down.
2, lean-mean CSS should not be noticeable

Link both (if needed) to Just those sections as you indicated, for a lean book
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 09:05 PM   #18
JustinThought
Groupie
JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Tab-3 7"
I wouldn't really call it "bloated," but there are maybe twenty-five or thirty styles in my stylesheet. Of those, seven or eight are used in almost everything I build. The rest are mainly special things like a way to display a sign, or newspaper articles, picture layouts, etc. I don't delete them at the end of development because I don't ever really consider it "the end" of development--as I learn something nifty and new, I might want to go in and add it to any books where it's appropriate.

A good example is my "overline" style, which I have used maybe twice, but I don't want to go hunting down to see how I did it the last time, so it just sits and lurks in my stylesheet JustinCase.
JustinThought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 10:43 PM   #19
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Nothing wrong with starting with a stock 'house' stylesheet. IMHO just clean it of the unused before releasing the book.

If the book needs 'updates' that need missing , simply restore the house stylesheet, complete the updates, clean again. That is the beauty of having a house standard . You add new styles as needed, never changing preexisting ones (unless the change is intended to be retroactive).
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote