Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-13-2008, 03:13 PM   #1
fishman69
Enthusiast
fishman69 began at the beginning.

Device: Sonys - 500, 505, 900, T1; Kindles - 2, 3; Nook - Touch
Is there a maximum book size?

I have a PRS-505 with a 2 GB SD card and I ran into a problem the other night. I was working with the Sherlock Holmes anthology downloaded from here and I was trying to get to Large size type. Naturally it opened with Small and the transition to Medium was not a problem. At that point it was 3951 pages, but when I tried to go to Large, the reader percolated for a few minutes and then reset. When I tried it again, the same thing happened again. In thinking about what happened, I came to the conclusion that the reader has a limit on the number of pages in a volume that it can display. Is this what is happening or is there something completely different in effect? Is there a reasonable way that I can display the volume with the large type?

Harvey
fishman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 03:40 PM   #2
winspiration
Connoisseur
winspiration is no ebook tyro.winspiration is no ebook tyro.winspiration is no ebook tyro.winspiration is no ebook tyro.winspiration is no ebook tyro.winspiration is no ebook tyro.winspiration is no ebook tyro.winspiration is no ebook tyro.winspiration is no ebook tyro.winspiration is no ebook tyro.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, Kindle Fire HD
I'm reading the Sherlock Holmes anthology atm on medium. I just changed it to large and it changed fine, showing 6368 pages, so don't think it is the book alone that has triggered the problem?

I'm just using the reader without any extra card, I have around 70 books on it at present.
winspiration is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2008, 07:44 PM   #3
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Fisherman...

You may be on to something. I decided to test your theory...I have the King James Version of the Bible on my 505 (the one downloaded from this site not the one from the Sony book store). When I changed the font size to medium it did it just fine--that was at 5715 pages. I then tried to set it to Large size and my reader appears to have totally frozen. So, if this is the case, it looks like the maximum number of pages is something greater than 6368 (based on winspiration's experience).

I've had not problems with the bible at all prior to this--reading from it quite frequently in small size font.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 07:49 PM   #4
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Note...further info...

It appears that my reader is NOT frozen...just that book (The bible). I can't get it to change font size to large, therefore can't change back to the small font size. I also can't page forward or back or call up the table of contents. I can read other books just fine, but my bible is stuck. Looks like I'm going to have to delete it and add it back to my 505.

dordale
Old 12-13-2008, 09:59 PM   #5
JGB
Groupie
JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505
I've run into the same issue with a ommnibus book(2200 pages) I tried to zoom in and it froze. A hard reset on my reader and it is fine so long as I don't try to zoom.
Means I'm stuck on Medium.
JGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2008, 11:22 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Are these large books being loaded onto the reade rusing eBook Library so the paging is done for you?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 01:09 AM   #7
dordale
Wizard

Jon--

I do use the Sony reader software to load books on to my computer. I've never run into this problem before, and have read some pretty large books. I very rarely use the larger font sizes though.

For grins, I tried to access my copy of the bible again. It let me access the table of contents and turn pages in medium size this time. But when I tried switching it to large size, it said "formatting" at the bottom and I got the spinning arrows. After about 3-4 minutes my reader spontaneously re-booted.

As I said, I did use the Sony software to load the book, but it appears to have lost the formatting for this book. When I get a chance, I'll re-load.

dordale
Old 12-14-2008, 04:19 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The LRF application on the Reader doesn't use memory very efficiently. I'd guess that there's something about these particular books which is making it run out of memory.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 07:31 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My copy of the Sherlock Holmes Omnibus is 2468 pages at small, 3530 at medium and 5308 at large. I have no problem at all switching sizes at all.
Old 12-14-2008, 12:22 PM   #10
fishman69
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Are these large books being loaded onto the reade rusing eBook Library so the paging is done for you?
No, I copy the files onto the SD card using a card reader built into my ThinkPad and then insert the card into the reader. I find that a LOT easier to do than to hook the reader to the computer and then use the Sony software. I did not think that it made any difference.

Harvey
Old 12-14-2008, 12:25 PM   #11
fishman69
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
Jon--

But when I tried switching it to large size, it said "formatting" at the bottom and I got the spinning arrows. After about 3-4 minutes my reader spontaneously re-booted.

dordale
That is exactly the behavior that I originally complained of.

Harvey
Old 12-14-2008, 12:56 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman69 View Post
No, I copy the files onto the SD card using a card reader built into my ThinkPad and then insert the card into the reader. I find that a LOT easier to do than to hook the reader to the computer and then use the Sony software. I did not think that it made any difference.

Harvey
When you move eBooks onto the reader or memory card without using eBook library, you put them on unpaginated. So what happens then is the reader has to spend the time to actually paginate. It's possible that with a large enough book you may possibly not have enough memory left to do this. Dunno really. Also, you do use up more battery while the reader paginates.

Now if you insert the SD card into the reader and use eBook library to transfer to the SD card via the reader, you get the eBook prepaginated and on my 505, it works perfectly when I change sizes. I also am using just the internal memory as I find that's plenty of space to hold enough for me to read while the reader is away from the computer.
Old 12-14-2008, 06:40 PM   #13
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E/HD, Kindle PW
Just for the heck of it I built an epub from an HTML (Calibre took about an hour to do this) containing almost everything Heinlein ever wrote. The source HTML weighs in at 35Mb, the epub at 13Mb. The epub page count is 10,720. It took a minute or so to load, but once it did, no problems.
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote