Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-20-2014, 09:18 PM   #1
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Synopsis in FW 3.2.0

Funny thing happened. I decided to read the synopsis of a book so I could explain the details about it to my Step-Mother. Imagine my shock when the synopsis of the book was so tiny it was unreadable. Now it was never like that before, because it was a new book I purchased I decided to check other books and they are all the same teeny tiny unreadable size. Has anyone else noticed this effect? If so what the hell is going on with kobo?

regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:07 PM   #2
jiminrussell
JimInRussell
jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: kobo Aura One, Forma, Elipsa, Sage
Do you have any patches installed? I have the patch that allows you to decrease the footer and the custom font sizes etc. on my Aura HD and see the same issue you are talking about. However I don't have the patches installed on my touch and don't see the tiny synopsis.
jiminrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:56 PM   #3
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I think this issue only affects the Glo/Aura/AuraHD. I've posted a patch to fix it in this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...3&postcount=36

Last edited by GeoffR; 03-20-2014 at 10:59 PM. Reason: fix link
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:45 AM   #4
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminrussell View Post
Do you have any patches installed? I have the patch that allows you to decrease the footer and the custom font sizes etc. on my Aura HD and see the same issue you are talking about. However I don't have the patches installed on my touch and don't see the tiny synopsis.
I don't use patches that alter the way the device was intended to work. Too many chances for things to go wrong and more importantly patches could introduce malware that might steal password information and send it on when connected to the internet.

regards

Jack
Old 03-21-2014, 08:16 AM   #5
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
I think this issue only affects the Glo/Aura/AuraHD. I've posted a patch to fix it in this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...3&postcount=36
Does it only affect 3.2.0? Because I can still read the synopsis on my Glo @ 3.2.1.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:57 AM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Does it only affect 3.2.0? Because I can still read the synopsis on my Glo @ 3.2.1.
3.2.1?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 01:06 PM   #7
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh, really! I am not dislexic lol. 3.1.1 is what I am running.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:32 PM   #8
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
The faulty section of code that is fixed by the patch is new in 3.2.0 so I don't think it would have affected 3.1.1, but the bug is not as noticable on the Glo/Aura as it is on the AuraHD so I might not have noticed it.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:48 PM   #9
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
The faulty section of code that is fixed by the patch is new in 3.2.0 so I don't think it would have affected 3.1.1, but the bug is not as noticable on the Glo/Aura as it is on the AuraHD so I might not have noticed it.
Thank you, that does explain it. I'm sticking with 3.1.1 and the corresponding patch, at this time.
Old 03-22-2014, 06:28 PM   #10
jackastor
Wizard

Quote:
So, since I am at my wits end, How do I go about adding your patch to the aura hd, using Windows 7. what programs do I need and is there a tutorial that will Or big pictures with little words for those of us(me) who don't play around with programing?

regards

Jack
Old 03-22-2014, 09:50 PM   #11
GeoffR
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
So, since I am at my wits end, How do I go about adding your patch to the aura hd, using Windows 7. what programs do I need and is there a tutorial that will Or big pictures with little words for those of us(me) who don't play around with programing?
The basic instructions are in the first post of this thread, but copy the appropriate patch from this post and paste it into the kpg.conf file before creating the patch. If you want to apply just the synopsis patch and none of the others, edit the kpg.conf file and change the patch_enable=`yes` lines for all the other patches to patch_enable=`no` before creating the patch.

Last edited by GeoffR; 03-22-2014 at 10:45 PM. Reason: fix link
Old 03-23-2014, 04:04 PM   #12
jackastor
Wizard

Quote:
The basic instructions are in the first post of this thread, but copy the appropriate patch from this post and paste it into the kpg.conf file before creating the patch. If you want to apply just the synopsis patch and none of the others, edit the kpg.conf file and change the patch_enable=`yes` lines for all the other patches to patch_enable=`no` before creating the patch.
Well I tried it, and the patch looks good.

Thanks for your assistance.

Tell me though, when new firmware comes out do I do exactly what I did for 3.2.0 or will these patches persist across the updates?

regards

Jack
Old 03-23-2014, 04:16 PM   #13
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Patches do NOT survive across f/w updates; some effort is required to track down the new offsets for each given patch; one has to hope that the functionality being patched still exists in the new f/w.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote