Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 01-03-2014, 02:57 PM   #1
gris
Connoisseur
gris began at the beginning.

Device: m92, sonyt2,
ade adobe epub first purchases?

hi, i have a question concerning adobe. I'm new in buying books with adobe drm. Now i did so and before I buy futher books i want to be sure that everything is right how i did.

I created an adobe account, installed ade, authorized ade with my adobe account. With the option authorize my computer.

Then i opened the acsm files directly with ade. So it loaded the epub books directly in my ade. Now i can view and use them on my pc.

I hope, think the procedure was right. I read that I urgently must use the option, authorize my computer, at ade authorization, so registration of the books is correct to read them on further devices in future, and not only on this actual computer. i don't really understand if this is correct.

Now I have my books in ade on my computer. My concern is now, when i go to the adobe homepage account login, shouldn't there somewhere be listed the books i bought from shops different than the adobe one.

I'm afraid, that i did something wrong, and that I will not be able to read my bought books again.

Also because I authorized my computer at ade registration but at my adobe login homepage I can see no authorization of a device.

so maybe i really did something not right, and then all purchases are lost.

sorry, if the english was somewhere not correct..

can someone pls help! and tell, if the case is good or not!

Last edited by gris; 01-03-2014 at 03:02 PM.
gris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 03:05 PM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
You can only watch the list of books you bought at the store you bought it. Adobe has no overview. The registration is to ensure that the DRM applied to the book is connected to your registration.
That also means that if the store goes out of business, you loose the ability to download the books. That is the reason why a lot of people decide to liberate their books from DRM after purchasing.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 03:42 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Additionally if you have more than one PC (or reinstall the O/S and all programs) you will need to re-register ADE with the same Adobe ID and password as before; then you can either re-download the books from the original store (again it would get the ACSM which ADE would use to re-download the bok) or just restore the ePubs from the backups you have kept.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 03:47 PM   #4
gris
Connoisseur

ok so then you mean everything is ok?

but how i can be sure, when i cannot see a registered device at adobe online?

maybe once i authorize an ereader, I can see a registered device, or maybe adobe shows this not?

theoretically I could then download the ebook again and again from the shop and open it in another adobe account, or let my brother download it for him, or authorize it again with my account..

what is then the use of this adobe thing? or is in the file some protection locked in that only I can use it. but if i can load it again from the shop then i can use it on other accounts the same way. maybe illeagally but possible.

I'm just afraid, if smthg is wrong that i lock myself out of my books.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:06 PM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gris View Post
ok so then you mean everything is ok?

but how i can be sure, when i cannot see a registered device at adobe online?

maybe once i authorize an ereader, I can see a registered device, or maybe adobe shows this not?

theoretically I could then download the ebook again and again from the shop and open it in another adobe account, or let my brother download it for him, or authorize it again with my account..

what is then the use of this adobe thing? or is in the file some protection locked in that only I can use it. but if i can load it again from the shop then i can use it on other accounts the same way. maybe illeagally but possible.

I'm just afraid, if smthg is wrong that i lock myself out of my books.
Adobe is a download mechanism for your books, it will bind an acsm file so it only works with the Adobe ID you first open it with, and it deals in encrypted books so you are dependent on them to provide it for you.

Any ebookstore will list the books you have bought from them, and what devices are registered (but it doesn't matter you can basically have unlimited devices registered). You can always stick with that.

Or google apprentice alf, and backup all your alfed books. A popular workflow is: books ==> alf ==> calibre ==> synced to dropbox.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 04:39 PM   #6
gris
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Adobe is a download mechanism for your books, it will bind an acsm file so it only works with the Adobe ID you first open it with, and it deals in encrypted books so you are dependent on them to provide it for you.

Any ebookstore will list the books you have bought from them, and what devices are registered (but it doesn't matter you can basically have unlimited devices registered). You can always stick with that.

Or google apprentice alf, and backup all your alfed books. A popular workflow is: books ==> alf ==> calibre ==> synced to dropbox.
thanks! But are you sure about basically unlimited devices registered? A shop where I want to buy says I can use 3 devices. It sells textbooks in epub and pdf. I heard about this alf. But haven't searched it yet.

At the moment I need to try how this format will look on my small screen reader, but that would then already be my second registration?

Or my third, because I once deautherized my, the same pc and then reauth.

So I'm not sure now, if I can do this. Maybe you mean with the alf tool I have basically unlimited registrations?
Old 01-03-2014, 04:48 PM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
thanks! But are you sure about basically unlimited devices registered? A shop where I want to buy says I can use 3 devices. It sells textbooks in epub and pdf. I heard about this alf. But haven't searched it yet.

At the moment I need to try how this format will look on my small screen reader, but that would then already be my second registration?

Or my third, because I once deautherized my, the same pc and then reauth.

So I'm not sure now, if I can do this. Maybe you mean with the alf tool I have basically unlimited registrations?
What shop says only three devices??? Amazon B&N and Kobo are the device stores, and as far as I am aware, none restrict the number of devices registered. If they sell through Adobe Digital Editions (and offer you the acsm) then yes, you are back at your original ADE problem, but that is not handled by the store, it's done by Adobe, and they offer 6 devices, not three.

Alf liberates your books, so it doesn't matter what the store says.

calibre is excellent for managing books, and can take care of any distribution (to devices) needed.

Last edited by eschwartz; 01-03-2014 at 04:50 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 04:52 PM   #8
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

In theory it is three devices, but after some pushing Adobe usually allows more. However, they are not required to do this. That is one of the gripes with the DRM mechanism. After your 3 devices are up, you are no longer able to download the books or read them on a new reader.

That is the reason why most people remove the DRM after downloading. That enables you to read it on all your readers without registering.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:08 PM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Adobe can control the number of devices you can register. I thought it was 6 (but maybe it's 3), but they slowly allow more to an account over time to account for old devices you're no longer using, since you can't get slots back by deregistering. I've registered a lot more than 3 devices/apps to my account since I first started using ADE in 2007. However, separately the content server can also be set for how many different devices you can transfer to, including none. That depends on how the vendor has things set up. I remember this, because it was at one time a problem when Simon & Schuster first switched to ePub and had their server settings wrong. This is why Alfing is so popular around here.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 05:18 PM   #10
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Adobe is 3 devices and 3 computers so both numbers are right. If you run out you can contact Adobe and they will remove one to add the new device. Note that the old device can still use the books it has but not new ones. At least that is the way it is supposed to work. A device can be a SD card by the way.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:53 PM   #11
gris
Connoisseur

hm ok then i think i ve understood quite so far. Too bad that one cannot manage her registrations at adobe alone like it was at mobipocket. I would see no downs for any partner. thanks
Old 01-04-2014, 03:23 PM   #12
gris
Connoisseur

sorry but I'm still afraid. about two sites I visited stress that it is so important that at ade adobe registration I need to register my computer with it. So that my books at first load get properly authorized for future use on other gadgets.

But I really cannot see, if this really happened right. Because adobe online account does not show registered devices, and I can't find this somewhere else.

But I think it should not really matter, if the computer was authorized? Because the books I loaded were authorized with the adobe online account id, no matter if the computer was authorized too. Shouldnt they?

Am I right?

ok I looked and ade authorization information says this computer is already authorized. But would it really be a problem if this would be not the case? Would I be able to read books drm protected at all?

it is just that first registration is wrong and then I cannot again put it right. Sorry for bothering you with stupid questions. I see I can help myself with alf, but regardless I want to make it right!
Old 01-04-2014, 05:54 PM   #13
Sunlite
Addict
Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KObo Clara, Kobo Aura, PRS-T1, PB602, CyBook Gen3
Open ADE, go to 'help' and then 'authorization information' (paraphrasing since my copy is German).

There you should be told, that your computer is already authorized. You should also see the Aobe-ID it is authorized with.

If this information is as you expect it to be, everything is fine. Books you download with this version of ADE will be encoded with your Adobe-ID. Every device authorized with the same Adobe-ID will be able to read these books.

ADE on a computer can download book also if it is not authorized. It uses then some internal number that is unique to this installation instead of the Adobe-ID. Books downloaded with an un-authorized version of ADE can only be read in that version of the software. Alf could still help you as long as you use the tools on that computer.

There is a keyboard short cut for unregistering ADE on a computer. I don't know it right now, but google should be able to help.
If the Adobe-ID your ADE version on your computer is authorized with is not the one you want, you should un-register the software and re-register it with the correct Adobe-ID.
Sunlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 03:05 AM   #14
Toxaris
Wizard

Quote:
Would I be able to read books drm protected at all?
Don't call it protection, call it restriction. Because that is what DRM really is. As others have mentioned, download the book with your PC and remove DRM to really do with the book what you want. You will be able to put it on any reader you would like.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:52 AM   #15
gris
Connoisseur

yeah thank you sunlite and to all the others that have answered! then should all be ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Don't call it protection, call it restriction. Because that is what DRM really is. As others have mentioned, download the book with your PC and remove DRM to really do with the book what you want. You will be able to put it on any reader you would like.
yes, i now already 've done so. may be a restriction. but i think as it is in my mobipocket account it would be ok, to delete and add about 5 devices. maybe i would use the tool then too, because i don't like to give them my device ids an all. but really to stupid at ade, that one can not even see its registrations. they really not made their homeworks.