Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 12-20-2012, 08:18 AM   #16
Tacty
Zealot
Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One/Kobo Touch/iPad3
problem is , no ios pdf reader can zoom only TEXT in pdf till the edge of the visible screen and STAY that way like some android programs...that's the main problem with ipad and pdf's in my book. you are either loosing a good portion of screen real estate, or you have to zooming and pinching all over all the time...

Last edited by Tacty; 12-20-2012 at 08:23 AM.
Tacty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:12 AM   #17
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Lightbulb

Have you tried both GoodReader and neu.Annotate? I seem to remember the neu.Annotate developer talking about a feature that resembles what you are missing.

Plus, remember that PDF isn't really a suitable format for e-books. It's an anomaly, when nothing more suitable is available. I try to avoid PDFs whenever I can. On the other hand, they are suitable especially for older, photographed books, because that way I can avoid all the inaccuracies and modernizations frequently introduced whenever an old book is converted into EPUB or Amazon formats.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:33 AM   #18
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacty View Post
problem is , no ios pdf reader can zoom only TEXT in pdf till the edge of the visible screen and STAY that way like some android programs...that's the main problem with ipad and pdf's in my book. you are either loosing a good portion of screen real estate, or you have to zooming and pinching all over all the time...
hmmm,

GoodReader does that, I think. I double touch and it zooms enough to hide edges.

Have you tried GoodReader?
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:49 AM   #19
Tacty
Zealot
Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
hmmm,

GoodReader does that, I think. I double touch and it zooms enough to hide edges.

Have you tried GoodReader?
hmm, not so sure...it does zoom but what happens when you go to the next page? it goes back and you have to double tap it again? it's not the same thing...point is you dont have to double tap or do pinch to zoom in pdf, you just have to press one zoom button in menu and pdf text is automatically zoomed until the edge of the screen. no more zooming or double tap or anything. program is called repligo reader, i sugest everyone who has android to try. of course, buy program or donate, suport an excellant developer!

P.S. some called it ebook reading mode. ebook reading mode automatically recognizes the text and images and sizes them to fit your screen perfectly emulating an e book experience while still being able to adjust text size and appearance.

with repligo, you can have epub/ebook experince with pdf on tablets, and that's no small thing...

Last edited by Tacty; 12-20-2012 at 11:12 AM.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:48 PM   #20
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't quite understand what it is that you're missing. When I browse PDF files in GoodReader or neu.Annotate, they don't stupidly show the entire paper page with huge empty margins around the text. (They are not iBooks, after all.) Nope, they cut away the needless white space above and below the text, so I do believe they "preserve the zoom" as you put it.

It's always dangerous to judge an entire platform without first testing the best software that that platform has to offer. iBooks is not the best iOS software to view PDF or EPUB files, just like Safari isn't the best iOS browser. GoodReader seems commonly recognized as the leader on iOS for handling PDF files, so you should at least give GoodReader a thorough test before criticizing the entire platform.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:03 PM   #21
Tacty
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
I don't quite understand what it is that you're missing. When I browse PDF files in GoodReader or neu.Annotate, they don't stupidly show the entire paper page with huge empty margins around the text. (They are not iBooks, after all.) Nope, they cut away the needless white space above and below the text, so I do believe they "preserve the zoom" as you put it.

It's always dangerous to judge an entire platform without first testing the best software that that platform has to offer. iBooks is not the best iOS software to view PDF or EPUB files, just like Safari isn't the best iOS browser. GoodReader seems commonly recognized as the leader on iOS for handling PDF files, so you should at least give GoodReader a thorough test before criticizing the entire platform.
ok, and if good reader cut the white space does such zoom stay that way through entire pdf, or you have to do zoom again for every next page, be it through tap again, or double tap, or pinch to zoom? i hope we do understand each other...some screenshots will be helpful if you can, because i don't have these programs to try...
Old 12-20-2012, 02:25 PM   #22
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

GoodReader preserves whatever zoom you want it to have. The zoom setting on the previous page will automatically be used again on the following page.

In practice, though, I haven't found it necessary to use zoom in GoodReader a lot (if at all), because GoodReader is smart enough to show PDF files in the optimal way as the default, right when you first open the files. At least that's been my experience.

As to screenshots, there is nothing to send, because GoodReader's interface completely disappears when you open a PDF file, so that the only thing you see is the content of the PDF file. Too wide empty margins and wasted screen real estate have never been a problem for me in GoodReader. And I'm sensitive to this issue -- I find myself unable to use iBooks precisely because of the dumb way it displays texts, leaving huge empty margins around the text (particularly bad on the iPhone!), with zero margin-width customization options for the user.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:25 AM   #23
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
ok, and if good reader cut the white space does such zoom stay that way through entire pdf, or you have to do zoom again for every next page, be it through tap again, or double tap, or pinch to zoom? i hope we do understand each other...some screenshots will be helpful if you can, because i don't have these programs to try...
It stays! ...
Old 12-21-2012, 04:19 AM   #24
Tacty
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
It stays! ...

i have checked in the meantime...it has some function which is called crop margins. it's not so elegant like in repligo, but it does the job i suppose...
Old 12-31-2012, 04:00 PM   #25
jocampo
Layback feline

Thought about a quick update on my own thread ...;-)

Came back from visit my mom in South America and boy! ... I love the mini! As ereader device and portable tablet, is very nice!

We enjoy the mini during our overnight trip a lot. We watched two Amazon Prime movies offline, I used it as ereader device in Miami when changing planes, and took few pictures in Colombia when my DSLR was not handy. I had a blast.

Yeah, not same resolution as the iPad3, but it's actually more crisp with PDFs than the iPad2. But not so small than my previous Nexus 7 or Galaxy Tablet.

Great battery and so portable but easy to read and see that I just gave my iPad3 to my wife.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:16 PM   #26
ashan
Connoisseur
ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: could be Kobo Glo or KPW
agree. saw one today. it can turn you from an apple hater in a lover in a second, outstanding quality and love the 8" with 4:3. But the text was awful...guess apple is planing stuff ahead, increasing resolution on second and ram on 3rd edition...etc..shame android tablets are not this form factor and not this quality...
ashan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:30 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
GoodReads is the best app for PDF for iOS.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:50 PM   #28
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You mean GoodReader, right?

I agree that the Android tablets' major fail is their 9:16 or 10:16 form factor. It's just not optimal for reading, period. I disagree with Apple on many things, but I agree with Steve Jobs when he was explaining that the 3:4 ratio, resembling that of a traditional sheet of paper, is optimal for tablets. I just don't think watching movies is the primary function of tablets -- and truly widescreen movies look terrible on 16:9 tablets, too.

I skipped buying the iPad Mini due to its mediocre display, but as soon as it's available with a Retina screen, it will become irresistible.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:03 AM   #29
Tacty
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
but still years away from the best solutions on android for pdf...i have goodreader as well on ipad, but it cant hold a candle to android trio: repligo, orion viewer and ebookdroid reader (the last 2 are free)...despite all the bla bla about app store and its wast selection, when we narrow things down a bit apple app store looks like poor cousin compared to android...and exactly in the multimedia department where are the things which matters...when we compare say video and audio players android beat the crap out of apple, as well as in ebook reader department. and android solutions are for the most cases free...

Last edited by Tacty; 01-09-2013 at 06:06 AM.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:12 AM   #30
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

Talking

Quote:
android beat the crap out of apple, as well as in ebook reader department.
I very much doubt that. Don't provoke me to review ebookdroid reader, because I'm afraid the review would be annihilating.

(Off-topic: in terms of movies, what exactly is it that you're lacking in AVPlayerHD on iOS?)