Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 02-05-2015, 03:38 PM   #1
africalass
Connoisseur
africalass began at the beginning.

Location: Various - sometimes UK, sometimes South Africa, sometimes other countries in Europe / Africa
Device: Windows Laptop; Kindle Keyboard; Hudl2 (Android), iPhone
CC - Not Licensed on Hudl 2 Child Account

HI!

I'd be grateful for some help. I've purchased a Hudl2 for my youngest daughter as it has a range of safety features. I have a number of books and pdfs for her to access and, as I use Calibre to store all my books & pdfs, have purchased Calibre Companion.

I started by installing CC (along with a reader) and tested it with the admin account. It transferred the books perfectly and everything was fine. I gave permission for CC on my daughter's account and then logged in as her. I could open the app, but couldn't see the books on the Hudl2. I then attached it to the laptop and noticed they weren't visible in Windows Explorer either when I was logged in as her (but they were when logged in as admin). So I contacted Tesco about this and they responded: Unfortunately you can not share media from the main account to a child profile, you will need to transfer/download the media directly to the child profile from a PC/ Laptop.

So I now knew I had to remove them from the admin account (done without problem) and then reinstall them on DD's. As I logged in as her and pressed connect, I got the 'application not licensed' message and was kicked off. I've done a bit of searching on the forums here and haven't found anything that helps (I haven't trying uninstalling and reinstalling as it still works fine in admin mode). I suspect it is to do with it being a child account that can't access google store - but all the other apps work perfectly on her account and have the appropriate permissions. Is there some setting I need to put in place so that I can use CC for her?

Bit of background:
* I only have one google account (and so obviously the one I purchased CC is the same as the one on the Hudl2)
* Android 4.4.2
* Latest Calibre & CC
* I haven't done anything to get behind the OS but using 'out the box'
* I/admin will not be using the Hudl2 (nor any other Android device) at all - so the CC is purely for DD

Many thanks for your time.
africalass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 04:31 PM   #2
africalass
Connoisseur

Location: Various - sometimes UK, sometimes South Africa, sometimes other countries in Europe / Africa
I just realised that as this is a worldwide forum people may not know what a hudl2 is. It is simply an Android tablet with the ability to have multiple profiles - and those profiles have limited access (the admin can choose which apps they access, which website, time limits etc.) On switching on the tablet you just pick which profile you are logging in as.
Advert
Old 02-05-2015, 04:31 PM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I confess to not understand all that you are trying to do, so I will provide some general discussion.

CC will only validate its license if the google play user that purchased CC is one of the users enabled for a device account. The license is checked periodically, so there is no way to buy it once and give permission to someone else (another google account) to use it.

If I am understanding you correctly, you bought CC as "user1", but user1 is not the account assigned to google play for your daughter. If I am right then CC will never be able to connect and transfer books for your daughter. There is no way around this limit.

If the number of books you want to have available for your daughter at one time is 20 or less then you could use the demo version of CC. It does not check any license. I know that this makes extra work for you because you will need to remove books she has read and add new books for her to read, but it works.

Another option is to add your GP account to her sub-account, adding a PIN so she can't buy anything. You could go as far as to make a google account that is used only to share paid apps with you daughter. If you want to do something like this, go to the Multipie site and ask for a refund for the copy you bought, then buy it again using the special shared account.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 04:36 PM   #4
africalass
Connoisseur

Hi!
thanks Chaley. Appreciate your time.

I actually only have one google account and this covers all the profiles on the device. However her profile is limited in what she can access. She is however covered under my play account and the apps I buy appear in her profile automatically, though I can choose whether she can access them.

It is not a sub-account per se and she cannot set up a different play account (the device does not allow this) - she has to be part of mine.

I would definitely rather she could have more than 20 books on at a time, as even in just the last Pony humble bundle there were more than this and I do feel it would defeat the object of her being able to access the books she wants when she wants.

Thanks again.
Old 02-05-2015, 06:06 PM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

CC will fail to validate its license if the google play services on the device are not accessible, if networking is blocked, if the account used to purchase CC is not authorized for the account, or if apps are prevented from taking to each other. From what you say I suspect that it is one of the first two, but as I know nothing about the hudl2 my suspicion should be taken with a grain of salt.

CC only checks its license when it connects. Perhaps there is something you can authorize while you connect and download books as your daughter, then de-authorize? If so then your daughter could use CC to access all the books you downloaded. However, as I said before, I don't know anything about this device, how it works, or what you can or cannot do; so this suggestion may have no merit.
Advert
Old 02-05-2015, 07:40 PM   #6
africalass
Connoisseur

Thanks again Chaley.

I would guess (from a layman's perspective) that it is that google play services on the device are not accessible. Also it can only access certain websites (though if this is the issue and you know a specific website I should allow access to, I can make that happen from the admin account). The account is definitely authorised properly - I can see my account name/email even when in my daughter's profile - it's just that most options are not available to me there. I have no idea whether apps can talk to each other.

I appreciate your second paragraph, but I can't think of anything I could authorise to do this (I have gone through all the options I could see). Certain things (like play store, email) are not possible to authorise for a restricted profile.

I have emailed Tesco (who market the Hudl) to see if they have any suggestions for allowing apps that need to check the licence to do so. But I would also suggest (from an anecdotal perspective now) that these restricted profiles are becoming more common now (I know several parents doing this) and so hopefully Android will work something out.

I spotted this as very basic info on restricted profiles: http://android.stackexchange.com/que...in-android-4-3 - which should confirm that my DD's account is on my google play account, and cannot be associated with another play account.
I also spotted this - but don't understand it myself so have no idea if it would help: https://developer.android.com/about/...ountsInProfile - I can't see that CC is releasing any sensitive information.

I do have quite a few paid for apps on the Hudl2 which my daughter can access without any issue (and haven't been copied across in any way - they are simply there in the same way that CC is). Does this mean that they have decided not to check for licences? I'm just trying to understand why this is the only paid app that I cannot access.

Thanks again
Old 02-06-2015, 05:05 AM   #7
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

To test this, I created a restricted profile on my N7 (2012). It is running Lollipop so it isn't a true apples/apples test, but as I don't have a jelly bean device...

In any event, it works for me. CC can connect.

The steps I took:
  1. Add a security pattern to the main account. This or a password is required to create a restricted profile (as you certainly know).
  2. Create the restricted profile. Name it "Restricted".
  3. Allow CC and Moon+ Pro apps. Change nothing else.
  4. Start CC. Connect. This works because CC gives you a license grace period because the Google servers might take some time to update the license.
  5. Wait 1 hour for CC's grace period timer to expire.
  6. In CC's wireless device settings, turn on "Allow 3G". I did this so that I can attempt to connect with WiFi off, meaning the license server checker will be unable to talk to the Google servers and thus fail.
  7. Turn off WiFi. Attempt to connect. I get the unlicensed error as expected.
  8. Turn on WiFi. Attempt to connect. It works. No error.
I connected several times to be sure that working wasn't a fluke. I don't know why it doesn't work for you.

One thing: be sure that the tablet has a WiFi connection to the internet. If it does not then the license check will never succeed.

Another thing you can try that might work: switch to the admin account, start CC and connect to calibre. This will cache the "licensed" response for a time. Switch to the restricted account and try to connect. If the license cache is shared between the accounts (I don't know if it is) then connections will work for a time.

As for the other paid apps that work: I don't know why that it. It easily could be that the developer didn't bother with licensing, especially if the app is a high-priority of pirates.
Old 02-06-2015, 05:58 AM   #8
africalass
Connoisseur

Hi there!
thanks so much for going to that trouble, I'm really impressed.

Is the grace period based on when it was purchased or installed? If the latter I can uninstall and reinstall. If the former I had purchased CC the other week when I was still seeing if I could share media/folders between accounts (and waiting for Tesco to reply).

The one thing in your list that is different to me, is that the Hudl2 has no 3G capabilities. It is wifi only. It is permanently on the wifi at home, so that part is no trouble. I suppose that is confusing then as it works fine for you on wifi. Hopefully Tesco will respond and advise if there is something in the overlay they have on top of the Android system that prevents licence checks.

I have just tried the other option - connected in admin account without problem. Opened daughter's account - had the 'connect' option showing top right (unfortunately not showing connected) and when I pressed it got both the application not licensed message and on top of that a 'failed to connect' message as 'some other device is currently connected'.

Yeah, I'm guessing that the games and educational activities we've bought so far just chose not to licence check. I didn't know this was something apps did until this one, and I do totally understand about trying to avoid the rampant piracy (I hadn't considered this applied to apps as well books/music).

thx
Old 02-06-2015, 06:14 AM   #9
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by africalass View Post
Is the grace period based on when it was purchased or installed? If the latter I can uninstall and reinstall. If the former I had purchased CC the other week when I was still seeing if I could share media/folders between accounts (and waiting for Tesco to reply).
CC's grace period starts when the app is run the first time after installation or doing a "Clear Data" in Settings/Apps. You don't need to uninstall. However, this approach means that you will need to resend every book any time you want to send any book, because the "clear" wipes out CC's database. This isn't a very big deal if there are only a few hundred books and if you plan for this by noting (somehow) in calibre which books you want available for your daughter. For example, you could create a Yes/No column and set it to Yes for each book you want to send. You would then clear the data in CC, connect, search for '#colname:yes', select all, then press Send to Device.

Note: once you are connected you can stay connected for as long as you want. Disconnecting and connecting again might fail if the grace period has expired.

Note 2: you must do the "Clear Data" as your daughter, not as admin.

EDIT: Note 3: you probably want to turn CC's "Scan for new books" setting off. Scanning for books is slower than resending the books.
Quote:
The one thing in your list that is different to me, is that the Hudl2 has no 3G capabilities. It is wifi only.
My N7 is wifi-only as well. Checking that box simply tells CC to attempt to connect without checking if wifi is on.
Quote:
I have just tried the other option - connected in admin account without problem. Opened daughter's account - had the 'connect' option showing top right (unfortunately not showing connected) and when I pressed it got both the application not licensed message and on top of that a 'failed to connect' message as 'some other device is currently connected'.
I had the "some other device" problem as well when testing. Apparently switching users does not disconnect CC, so calibre is still seeing the connection by you-as-admin after you switched to you-as-daughter.
Quote:
thx
You are welcome.

Last edited by chaley; 02-06-2015 at 06:27 AM.
Old 02-06-2015, 06:28 AM   #10
africalass
Connoisseur

thanks again.

It sounds like the grace period thing wouldn't work, as I would want really to be able to refresh the books and switch things on and off.

I have just discovered that I CAN connect to content server. I've done nothing else different, but just chose a different way to connect (I felt sure I'd tried the other day, but maybe not?!). I had generally been trying to connect as a wireless device. Does this mean it doesn't licence check as a content server?

I like the other method better as I am used to Calibre sending for other devices - but at the end of the day if I can get my books on it I'm happy!

Just one question - this seems to bypass my structure for titling books (I like the series name and number first, then the title). Is this correct, or in my fiddling to make this work have I somehow deleted my template?

FWIw I had considered doing a yes/no column but I have so many books and papers in my own libraries that it got confusing. Instead I have a kids library in Calibre - which is ideal as now in content server I should just be able to 'download all' which makes life a lot simpler. In case the numbers make a difference to any responses, there are currently 255 items in there - but quite a lot of these are pdfs (educational factsheets and so on) as well as some books.

thx
Old 02-06-2015, 06:46 AM   #11
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
It sounds like the grace period thing wouldn't work, as I would want really to be able to refresh the books and switch things on and off.
Reasonable
Quote:
I have just discovered that I CAN connect to content server. I've done nothing else different, but just chose a different way to connect (I felt sure I'd tried the other day, but maybe not?!). I had generally been trying to connect as a wireless device. Does this mean it doesn't licence check as a content server?
No, we don't bother to do a license check when using the content server, mostly because it doesn't do nearly as much as the wireless connection.

The major inconvenience with the content server connection is that it cannot update metadata. After you retrieve a book, any metadata updates you make in calibre will not make it to the device unless you delete and resend the books. If you do this then you are back with the delete-and-send approach, but with much less convenience. In addition, many of CC's settings are enabled only after a wireless connection because they need the description of metadata in calibre's library that calibre sends during the connection.
Quote:
Just one question - this seems to bypass my structure for titling books (I like the series name and number first, then the title). Is this correct, or in my fiddling to make this work have I somehow deleted my template?
I assume that you are doing the above using a metadata plugboard. CC doesn't use them because it has a faithful and complete copy of calibre's metadata. There is no need to play games with titles to make things sort one way or another.

In your case, if you want to see the series and the series index, add them to the book list using CC's settings (hmmm ... this might not be possible if you have never connected as a wireless device). The grouping drawer lets you select individual items (series, tags, publishers, etc), and you can automatically sort the book list depending on which group you are in. If you sort by series then the series info is automatically added to the book list.
Quote:
FWIw I had considered doing a yes/no column but I have so many books and papers in my own libraries that it got confusing. Instead I have a kids library in Calibre - which is ideal as now in content server I should just be able to 'download all' which makes life a lot simpler. In case the numbers make a difference to any responses, there are currently 255 items in there - but quite a lot of these are pdfs (educational factsheets and so on) as well as some books.

thx
Sending takes around a second per book (less if the books aren't large), so clearing data and sending all the books would take less than 5 minutes. You might want to do that for the initial send, then use the content server to pick up new entries. From time to time you could clear and resend to be sure all metadata is up-to-date.
Old 02-06-2015, 12:27 PM   #12
africalass
Connoisseur

Awesome thanks.
I can't recall how I put the template for the series & order as the title (but probably a plugboard). It's pretty essential for my usual Kindle Keyboard as I can never remember what the next title in a series is, and it (KK) is atrocious for searching and grouping otherwise. I can see I don't need it when using CC on Android as I can sort by series anyway.

I'll have a go at managing via just the content server for now and see how I get on over the next few weeks.

I'll reply back here if Tesco get back to me - as if you can licence check in a restricted profile then I should be able to - so it's either a default setting on the Hudl2 I'm not aware of (and can hopefully change) or something they've programmed as part of they overlay over Android (I don't know the correct term). It is marketed to parents so they may have put in additional safeguards and accidentally blocked apps from licence checking.

If anyone else finds another work around please let me know as I'd love to be able to use it with the wireless standard connection. Also if anyone else knows any apps that licence check please let me know as it would be good to try it with a different app (if it's not too expensive!) and see if it's the same (and point out to Tesco if this affects multiple apps).
Old 02-16-2015, 01:25 PM   #13
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba
Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Many Android devices, Kindle 2, Toshiba e755 PocketPC
Quote:
If anyone else finds another work around please let me know...
I can't discuss the solution in any detail, but I use XXXXX to remove license checks from Android apps. It works best with a rooted device.
Moderator Notice
Reference to the pirating-support app removed.

I actually have a similar setup to what you're describing. My five-year-old daughter has an Android tablet that isn't connected to the internet or associated with a Google account. I buy apps on my tablet and transfer them to hers.

On my tablet, I use DroidWall to only allow network access to certain apps. The only two that are always on are Calibre Companion and a browser. With most apps that's not a problem, but after one of the recent updates, Calibre Companion started to give me a lot more licensing errors (every few days rather than what used to be weeks) if I didn't let Google Play connect. Now I remove the licensing check after downloading a new update.

Last edited by chaley; 02-17-2015 at 02:54 AM.
Difflugia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 01:32 AM   #14
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Difflugia View Post
I actually have a similar setup to what you're describing. My five-year-old daughter has an Android tablet that isn't connected to the internet or associated with a Google account. ...
not similar at all. CC is not needed or useful for a 5 year old with no internet access. CC exists to facilitate retrieving books from calibre via wifi. it is NOT unreasonable for it to check it's licence when asked to do that. it is a pointless install for a device that is not allowed online.

you could nitpick that connecting via wifi LAN to calibre is not the same as internet to entire world but why bother...
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 05:18 AM   #15
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
not similar at all. CC is not needed or useful for a 5 year old with no internet access. CC exists to facilitate retrieving books from calibre via wifi. it is NOT unreasonable for it to check it's licence when asked to do that. it is a pointless install for a device that is not allowed online.

you could nitpick that connecting via wifi LAN to calibre is not the same as internet to entire world but why bother...
My neighbor blocks his daughters access to most outside sites (whitelist access) using the routers advanced feature set.

This might get really tricky juggling:
Prevent google play purchases but still allow a license check
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, calibre companion, child, multiple, profile