Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-08-2015, 05:42 PM   #1
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Netflix Raising Price to $9.99

Netflix raising US price for most popular video plan by $1

Quote:
Netflix is raising the price of its Internet video service by $1 for new customers in the U.S., Canada and some Latin America countries to help cover its escalating costs for shows such as “House of Cards” and other original programming.

The new price of $10 per month for Netflix’s standard plan — its most popular — marks the second time in 17 months that Los Gatos, California, company has boosted its U.S. rates by $1. The trend reflects the financial pressure that Netflix is facing as it competes against Amazon.com, HBO and other services for the rights to TV series and movies that will expand its audience.
Quote:
Subscribers who have been with Netflix since May 2014 will still pay $8 per month under a two-year rate freeze adopted when the company last raised its U.S. prices by $1. Customers who signed up since the last price increase will pay $9 per month until October 2016.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 06:31 PM   #2
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
This might have something to do with it:
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/hulu-f...110531294.html

So might this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pw7lAFlCSlY

It's market pricing. They're still a good deal.
Plus, they're spending on original, exclusive content.
They see themselves as an HBO competitor so they figure they can charge as much as them.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2015, 06:57 PM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
It's market pricing. They're still a good deal.
Plus, they're spending on original, exclusive content.
They see themselves as an HBO competitor so they figure they can charge as much as them.
Next May, my 2-yr price lock ($8/mo) ends. It'll then jump to $10/mo. I don't do HBO or Hulu. Prime's more than adequate for my viewing needs, so I might cancel Netflix at the end of my current month.
Old 10-08-2015, 07:19 PM   #4
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Next May, my 2-yr price lock ($8/mo) ends. It'll then jump to $10/mo. I don't do HBO or Hulu. Prime's more than adequate for my viewing needs, so I might cancel Netflix at the end of my current month.
Jeff Bezos applauds you.
Me, I want to see how they handle Jessica Jones so I'll hang around a while longer.
Old 10-08-2015, 07:24 PM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Jeff Bezos applauds you.
Me, I want to see how they handle Jessica Jones so I'll hang around a while longer.
I have no interest in shows like that.

As to Hulu, they have a lot of nerve to show ads on a paid subscription. That's the sole reason why I never signed up.
Advert
Old 10-08-2015, 07:56 PM   #6
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I have no interest in shows like that.

As to Hulu, they have a lot of nerve to show ads on a paid subscription. That's the sole reason why I never signed up.
They have about as much nerve as the cable companies and the satellite companies and (while it lasted) aerio. Ditto for newspapers and magazines, all of which clutter up their pages with ads.

(Ads are just another way we pay for products.)
Old 10-08-2015, 08:07 PM   #7
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
They have about as much nerve as the cable companies and the satellite companies and (while it lasted) aerio. Ditto for newspapers and magazines, all of which clutter up their pages with ads.

(Ads are just another way we pay for products.)
I realize that, but Netflix & Prime don't do it; and at a cheaper rate.
Old 10-08-2015, 08:11 PM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I'm still in at $10.

And ads on my premium Hulu don't bother me a bit. Not when I get to watch shows that first aired on network TV the previous night. Neither of the other two can claim the same. I tend to drop it during the offseason, but I gladly pick it back up (ads and all) when the new fall season starts.

Hell ... Netflix, Hulu, Prime and Sling together are still cheaper than what I was paying for Satellite each month.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 08:23 PM   #9
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
And ads on my premium Hulu don't bother me a bit. Not when I get to watch shows that first aired on network TV the previous night. Neither of the other two can claim the same. I tend to drop it during the offseason, but I gladly pick it back up (ads and all) when the new fall season starts.
I watch four network shows. If I miss one, I log into the network and watch it.
Old 10-08-2015, 08:43 PM   #10
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I'm locked in to the lower price for a while longer, but $10 is ok. My whole family gets a lot of value from Netflix, and their content keeps getting better.

I have a problem with Hulu's ads, too. Historically, cable and Satellite companies didn't produce content. You were never paying for the content, you were paying for the delivery of channels you would not otherwise not be able to pluck out of the air, and, hopefully, with image quality you would not otherwise see, and they had to pay th econtent owners for the right to show the stuff.

But Hulu is owned by the studios, they already got their sponsor money and it's their content. The ads are just a degraded viewer experience.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 09:04 PM   #11
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I realize that, but Netflix & Prime don't do it; and at a cheaper rate.
Netflix isn't cheaper anymore.
And Prime makes money off the stuff we buy.
Plus the services are all different enough to have different cost structures.
They don't map one-to-one.
And as the three keep on adding exclusives they will keep on differentiating.

Netflix is raising prices because the figure that if Hulu can charge more for their day after TV ad-free service, they too can charge more even if they're not direct competitors. It's, ahem, a monkey see, monkey do thing.
Old 10-08-2015, 09:28 PM   #12
Jack Torrance
“Here’s Johnny
Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG - 9.7 iPad - iPhone 12PM - Macbook Pro
In just upgraded my Hulu to the "without ads" for $12. Worth every penny imho. I don't have an issue with the $10 for Netflix either.

The satellite bill..... Now that's another story, I only keep it because the Wif likes it.
Jack Torrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 09:34 PM   #13
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Netflix isn't cheaper anymore.
And Prime makes money off the stuff we buy.
Plus the services are all different enough to have different cost structures.
They don't map one-to-one.
And as the three keep on adding exclusives they will keep on differentiating.

Netflix is raising prices because the figure that if Hulu can charge more for their day after TV ad-free service, they too can charge more even if they're not direct competitors. It's, ahem, a monkey see, monkey do thing.
Netflix is still cheaper. Ad-free Netflix is $10/mo; ad-free Hulu is $12/mo. As to day after service, I'd rather watch the ads and get the show free from the networks. As with anything else in entertainment, I place no value on watching, listening to, or reading something immediately. I can wait; I'm in no hurry.

As a consumer, I don't care how the companies are structured or who has the advantage. If company A delivers a service similar to company B, and at a cheaper price, then I'll go with A. If A does so because it's partially subsidizing this service from other divisions of its company and B can't do that, then B's up a creek and I don't care (monkey see and monkey no can do).

Bottom line - we all have different priorities and place value on different services. What works for me doesn't work for most people and I'm quite content with that. Companies need to play to the majority if they wish to remain profitable. If that affects me in a negative manor, then I'll move on. There's always something else out there; always.
Old 10-08-2015, 09:35 PM   #14
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
I hate exclusivity.

I watch network tv ad-free either on the station's website or Xfinity on-demand. They usually have the last 4 episodes available.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 09:53 PM   #15
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Considering the cable company charges $10 a MONTH for a hd stb, Netflix is still a damn good deal

Btw, what does this have to do with mobileread?
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote