Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-28-2024, 10:34 PM   #16
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude_C View Post
Ah, nostalgia.

Hoping that your old lover has finally changed.
Yes, exactly.

I understand why people like the ease of Amazon ecosystem. And I'm not saying they shouldn't. Whatever floats your boat. All I've said is my personal opinion of it; you're not required to share it.

Edit: Kobo devices are by no means perfect either. I could rant about their flaws just as long and have, on occasion. But they're usually just technical bugs, not a conscious policy on Kobo's part, unlike several recent decisions by Amazon.

Last edited by Sirtel; 02-28-2024 at 10:44 PM.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 10:43 PM   #17
deleted2
Member Retired
deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post

You don't think people should have personal opinions about devices and companies they've come into contact with, or if they have, only share them if they're positive?

For me, this forum is a source of knowledge and a way to help others.

The saying goes, opinions are like your buttocks, everyone has them, don't feel compelled to show them off to everyone.
deleted2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2024, 10:54 PM   #18
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
For me, this forum is a source of knowledge and a way to help others.

The saying goes, opinions are like your buttocks, everyone has them, don't feel compelled to show them off to everyone.
Interesting. One of the reasons I became a regular here was other posters' opinions about various devices they had used, which I had had no personal experience with. I still read such posts with interest, even when I don't agree with them. I guess we're different in this.
Old 02-28-2024, 11:07 PM   #19
deleted2
Member Retired
deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Interesting. One of the reasons I became a regular here was other posters' opinions about various devices they had used, which I had had no personal experience with. I still read such posts with interest, even when I don't agree with them. I guess we're different in this.
Experiences with a device are a source of knowledge. Opinions, not so much.
Old 02-28-2024, 11:16 PM   #20
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Experiences with a device are a source of knowledge. Opinions, not so much.
All experiences are subjective and colored by individual preferences, expectations and prejudices. There's no such thing as an objective experience, unless the device in question breaks as soon as you take it out of the box (and even then it might depend on the way you handled both the box and the device). For me, there's not that much difference between personal experiences and opinions based on those experiences. It's all subjective.
Advert
Old 02-28-2024, 11:36 PM   #21
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
They've had that for years inc KDP uses epub.
That's true, but they withheld enhanced typography features until Scribe shipped, and they upgraded Send To Kindle. And before the upgrade, you had to disguise epub as zip files to get Send to Kindle to accept them.

Last edited by tomsem; 02-28-2024 at 11:40 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 11:59 PM   #22
deleted2
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
That's true, but they withheld enhanced typography features until Scribe shipped, and they upgraded Send To Kindle. And before the upgrade, you had to disguise epub as zip files to get Send to Kindle to accept them.
The enhanced typography is a significant factor in my decision to depart from Kobo. Converting epub to kfx was a bit of a hassle compared to Send to Kindle.
Old 02-29-2024, 05:09 AM   #23
MonicaOP
Connoisseur
MonicaOP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MonicaOP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MonicaOP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MonicaOP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MonicaOP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MonicaOP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MonicaOP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MonicaOP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MonicaOP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MonicaOP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MonicaOP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard Oasis
I did told the people I talked with about the fact that this has never happened before and that I have been using Kindles for over 10 years, I do have 3 kindle keyboards and they all had different content and different collections.

They sounded surprised about that, so who knows, I guess I'm just going to have to rebuild my completely kindle collections, again, but without the previous information is going to be harder.

I did got a new kindle 'cause it was cheaper during the holidays and was working amazing for me, mostly 'cause I use it for fanfiction and not to really buy books from Amazon.

Does anyone has any idea how to get the collections back?? Be well
MonicaOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 08:16 AM   #24
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonicaOP View Post
I did told the people I talked with about the fact that this has never happened before and that I have been using Kindles for over 10 years, I do have 3 kindle keyboards and they all had different content and different collections.

They sounded surprised about that, so who knows, I guess I'm just going to have to rebuild my completely kindle collections, again, but without the previous information is going to be harder.

I did got a new kindle 'cause it was cheaper during the holidays and was working amazing for me, mostly 'cause I use it for fanfiction and not to really buy books from Amazon.

Unfortunately you can’t get them back. The collections on your new kindle sync to the cloud. If you removed them from one kindle they get removed from the cloud, and therefore from any other kindle that is connected to the cloud.

For example, hubby and I have Kindle’s that are new enough to be sycronised to the Cloud. He has one, I have two, so for all three kindles the collections are synchronised. Changes on one are changes on all three.

Your kindle keyboard Collections are not cloud collections and are not affected by any changes you make on Cloud Collections. Cloud collections have been a feature of Kindle’s for many years now.

Last edited by Josieb1; 02-29-2024 at 08:19 AM.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 08:40 AM   #25
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Basically Amazon's Collection Sync is a broken implentation.
Also you are the mercy of wrong Sales / Marketing pages on Kindle ebooks for Series, Author and Title.

If you don't use WiFi you've only on device collection Management. The only thing you can do with a PC is copy files.

I don't count jailbroken because most users won't or can't (either they can't figure it, or don't know or the FW version means it can't anyway).

The reader GUI and User control via PC is worse than 10 years ago. Amazon seem to regard a Kindle as terminal that's simply caching the Website for off-line use. I've still got 3 Kindles and have bought eight for wider family and myself over the years. I seriously considered a Kindle Scribe and also the Fire tablet with pen. However while I still buy Kindle ebooks (so long as I can read them on any device I own), I won't subscribe to Prime, KU, borrow ebooks, audible or buy any Kindle or tablet from them now. They've lost the plot. It's not Publishers driving their mad control as they even encrypt titles that Publishers want DRM free if they are delivered by KFX.
No asking if you want a change on your Kindle, but they do it. Delayed action FW rollouts and inability to downgrade a FW is also abusive. Even most PCs with TPM and supplied with Win10 or Win11 let you roll back FW of BIOS etc as Vendors make mistakes. Even W10 & W11 you can make checkpoints and roll back borked updates.
Almost every Android device has a developer option enabled by repeatedly tapping "Build".
Kobo you can mostly go back to any FW done since the model was released.
Like Apple iOS walled garden with less control and quality.

Last edited by Quoth; 02-29-2024 at 08:46 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 08:44 AM   #26
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
Your kindle keyboard Collections are not cloud collections and are not affected by any changes you make on Cloud Collections. Cloud collections have been a feature of Kindle’s for many years now.
You can mess up PW3 collections and DXG or KK3 collections by doing Sync with a DXG or KK3 in the past. Now DXG probably can't connect.

Perhaps your Kindle Keyboard is simply not able to sync.

I don't use WiFi any longer on the four Kindles still here. It breaks stuff. Amazon should ASK waht is to be "synced" and in what direction. There is almost zero user control.
Old 02-29-2024, 08:57 AM   #27
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonicaOP View Post

In case you are not aware, your books are still on your kindle, it’s just the collections that are gone.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 11:24 AM   #28
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
In case you are not aware, your books are still on your kindle, it’s just the collections that are gone.
Maybe they are and maybe they are not! It's true that by itself deleting a collection doesn't delete the ebooks, but Amazon is separately sometimes deleting books not downloaded via cell or WiFi directly from Amazon, so called sideloaded content. The fact that it's likely a bug is no comfort. The behaviour of Collections is by (bad) design, not a bug.
Old 02-29-2024, 11:41 AM   #29
deleted2
Member Retired

Quote:

I don't use WiFi any longer on the four Kindles still here. It breaks stuff. Amazon should ASK waht is to be "synced" and in what direction. There is almost zero user control.
It wasn’t that long ago that cloud storage like iCloud, Google Drive, etc. added the possibility to choose what files or folders to synch or not on different devices. As far as I know, Amazon doesn’t offer a personal drive in the cloud anymore , except for Amazon Photos. Maybe that’s why they lack options in the synching department. But you’re right, in an ideal world, they should.
Old 03-01-2024, 05:59 PM   #30
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Maybe they are and maybe they are not! It's true that by itself deleting a collection doesn't delete the ebooks, but Amazon is separately sometimes deleting books not downloaded via cell or WiFi directly from Amazon, so called sideloaded content. The fact that it's likely a bug is no comfort. The behaviour of Collections is by (bad) design, not a bug.
There is no way to know how common deletion of side loaded books is. I suspect it is and has always been rare. It only takes a few reports to make it seem like a huge problem.

And it would be nice to know if it has happened to anyone since the latest updates (that provides ability to synchronize time).
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote