Notices

Old 06-22-2019, 08:03 PM   #1
Uphantom89
Enthusiast
Uphantom89 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Smile [Suggestion] "Word wise" for Koreader

Hello bro.
I did send this request on github- koreader.
However, It seem that it's hard to embed this function.
I would like to post it here, in case any developer interest in take a look.
Description of suggested funtion: show word wise like kindle original reader..
Thank you
Uphantom89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 04:19 AM   #2
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Cross-ref to GH issue: https://github.com/koreader/koreader/issues/3044

It is something that interests me, but I can't really see it working on a device due to the processing requirements. Those Amazon files are preprocessed or possibly in some cases manually crafted.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2019, 10:17 AM   #3
Uphantom89
Enthusiast

There is a tool for making word wise for an azw3 file. But the solution for rearranging text and displaying word wise is still not available.
Is it possible for Koreader to support azw3 first? In the meantime, developer can take a look at azw3 extension.
Old 06-25-2019, 12:47 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
That would be a hard no, unless someone with a severely masochistic inclination chimes in (KF8 is an Amazon-specific, proprietary format. It has been RE'd to some admittedly rather large extent, true, but, still).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 06:53 PM   #5
Uphantom89
Enthusiast

Ah, my mistake. The tool which i mentioned above is for generating word wise for mobi file which was support by Koreader.
Advert
Old 06-26-2019, 01:45 AM   #6
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
That would be a hard no, unless someone with a severely masochistic inclination chimes in (KF8 is an Amazon-specific, proprietary format. It has been RE'd to some admittedly rather large extent, true, but, still).
It'd be possible to somewhat mimic Word Wise with <ruby> tags. (For a proof-of-concept see this old post.)

Unfortunately, crengine doesn't support <ruby> tags.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 06:18 AM   #7
Uphantom89
Enthusiast

Too technical for me, honestly. But I believe, there must be some work around way to mimic word wise as you mention above.
Old 06-27-2019, 10:43 AM   #8
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Not without extensive work.
Old 06-27-2019, 05:39 PM   #9
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

One could probably implement a workaround based on @Doitsu's suggestion relatively easily. Use something like those RUBY elements as suggested and let something like Calibre or Prince spit out a PDF in the right output size. Exactly how much effort that would be, depends mainly on how much Python code from https://github.com/tmilovanov/wisecreator can be reused as is. It should save a few hours writing the actual NLTK analysis code anyway.
Old 06-27-2019, 06:15 PM   #10
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Oh, yeah, I was in a "CRe/ePub" mindframe .

You and your cheaty PDF ways ;p.
Old 06-28-2019, 03:52 AM   #11
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Oh, yeah, I was in a "CRe/ePub" mindframe .
Since CRe is relatively outdated, is anybody looking into replacing it with a more modern Open Source engine, e.g. Readium, or was CRe specifically chosen, because of its relatively low hardware requirements?
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 10:08 AM   #12
Frenzie
Wizard

For anything short-term there would only be in addition to, not instead of. (E.g. my proof of concept effort that allows for using MuPDF as an alternative EPUB/FB2 renderer.) To my knowledge no one is seriously looking into adding another rendering engine at this time.

Readium wasn't really a thing until post-2013, so by definition it couldn't even have been considered back in 2011/2012.

@houqp wrote up a little something about the history of it somewhere in a GH issue I believe… but I can't seem to find it right this instance.
Old 06-28-2019, 12:35 PM   #13
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Last I checked, what was available of Readium was mostly useless, and depended on you having a full-fledged web engine (i.e., WebKit/Blink, or a platform-provided simile), which, err, nope, not gonna happen.
And, the nail on the coffin, it had iffy to non-existent straight Linux support (i.e., not Android).

Note that we (and by we I mean @poire-z ) maintain a CRe fork, and @poire-z has done some amazing work on it the past couple years.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 06-28-2019 at 12:40 PM.
Old 07-26-2019, 02:00 AM   #14
Frenzie
Wizard

Btw, I think the way unsupported ruby looks in crengine (small text after word) works better than properly rendered ruby would, because you don't get all the distracting blank lines. An equally self-evident superior alternative is in-page footnotes.
Old 01-24-2020, 01:49 PM   #15
i_suggest_this
i_suggest_this began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uphantom89 View Post
But the solution for rearranging text and displaying word wise is still not available.
Hello there, if this is the real (or most important issue), why not rendering in a different way? I don't think it is that important to put the definition above the word, but to avoid touching the screen and the loading (it really takes some time).This is a mockup to express what I think.

A

B

C
i_suggest_this is offline   Reply With Quote