Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 06-13-2020, 08:05 PM   #1
gilster
Connoisseur
gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle
Unix Hidden Folders Again

Here's an oddity. I've had KoReader installed for some time without problem. Last time I fixed the ereader.conf file with this:

[FeatureSettings]
ExcludeSyncFolders=\\.(?!kobo|adobe).*?

And it worked fine. But I just installed new firmware, the latest as far as I know (4.21.15015) on my Aura One. I reinstalled KoReader using the one-click install, first checking ereader.conf again to be sure it had the needed text.

But now I have all the hidden folders again listed as books. I can't figure out why this is. Question: How do I get rid of these? I have tried a couple of reinstalls and it hasn't worked. Any ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks!
gilster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 08:19 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
This shouldn't ever be happening on its own, but check that you don't have duplicate entries in your config.

And that the filesystem isn't corrupt.

Then restart the device, and double-check the config during an USBMS session.

If you happened to tweak the config manually, don't, delete whatever you may have added, and let the install script do it.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 08:28 PM   #3
gilster
Connoisseur
gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
This shouldn't ever be happening on its own, but check that you don't have duplicate entries in your config.

And that the filesystem isn't corrupt.

Then restart the device, and double-check the config during an USBMS session.

If you happened to tweak the config manually, don't, delete whatever you may have added, and let the install script do it.
Thanks. Two questions, though. How do I check to see if the filesystem is corrupt? Also, I don't know what a USBMS session is or how to do it. Sorry -- still feeling my way here.
Old 06-13-2020, 08:43 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Whatever file system checking tools are available on your OS (e.g., fsck on Linux, diskutil on macOS, and the volume manager on Windows, which is probably best accessed by a right click on the volume name in the explorer in this instance).

As for an USBMS (USB Mass Storage) session, well, just plug it in to a computer and accept the connection. By which I meant that *that's* the only way Nickel will ever refresh that config file, short of a reboot.
Old 06-13-2020, 08:54 PM   #5
gilster
Connoisseur

Many thanks. Will keep working at this.
Old 06-14-2020, 06:55 AM   #6
gilster
Connoisseur

I just realized what may be wrong. I think I downloaded and installed the wrong firmware version, the one for the Forma rather than the Aura One. This might well be throwing off things for the KoReader install. So I need to fix the firmware.

Question: Can I simply download the correct Aura One version of 4.21.15015 and reinstall over the top of the incorrect version/ I've attempted this but see no result, and I don't think it's taking. Is there a way to lose the existing version and replace with the Aura One firmware?

Thanks again for the help. Much appreciated!
Old 06-14-2020, 11:47 AM   #7
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Spoiler alert: while it's not *great*, it's not dramatic either. The only thing you're missing out on by using the wrong mark package is the low-level bootloader/kernel updates. Which is likely a moot point for an Aura One because it's EoL, so those won't get updated ever again.

But, yeah, it's as easy as installing it on top of what you currently have. And it won't change anything as they're exactly the same .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 06-14-2020 at 11:51 AM.
Old 06-14-2020, 11:50 AM   #8
NiLuJe
BLAM!

What you *can* do if you want to start from scratch, is a full factory reset. It'll wipe the device and reinstall the FW version the device shipped with.

On current FW, it's slightly more hidden than it used to be. You either have to trigger the right button sequence during boot (c.f., Kobo's support page for your device), or it's also available in the hidden Developer settings menu (search for devmodeon, then check the Device settings page).
Old 06-14-2020, 11:56 AM   #9
gilster
Connoisseur

Yes, I thought about the factory reset, because I'm having trouble getting the patches to work (non-KoReader issues, I realize) -- I can't seem to patch the device as is, although I've patched it many times in the past. But I'm reluctant to do the factory thing because of losing so much stuff. So will keep pondering this. Anyway, thanks again for your help here.
Old 06-14-2020, 12:08 PM   #10
NiLuJe
BLAM!

That would hint that you're either having USB issues, or storage/filesystem issues.

(Or that you're doing something obviously wrong, somehow, but if you've done it before, I'll trust that you still know how to do it right ).

Since the Aura One is not *that* old, and it was using an eMMc and not a crappy internal SD card, I would rule out storage failure, unless you're extremely unlucky or have been extremely nasty with your device ;p.

Which leaves filesystem corruption and/or USB issues. Try with another cable/port/machine/OS, and *do* run a filesystem check (because we've established that the built-in one is currently broke).
Old 06-15-2020, 08:08 AM   #11
gilster
Connoisseur

I appreciate the help! I did manage a reinstall (plus patches) of the firmware, and then ran the one-click routine again. Success this time -- no hidden folders masquerading as books, etc. Anyway, back to KoReader, where I really appreciate the PDF functionality. Just wanted you to know that this issue is resolved at least in terms of being back to a working Aura One with KoReader.

Paul