Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 01-21-2019, 12:22 AM   #1
Mattee
Mattee began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Tab A
Android Version of Calibre?

Hi to all,
Would there ever be a possibility that "someday" Calabre might be developed to run "Natively" in Android devices? Or is it a programming mis-match kind of thing to attempt such a task? Just curious, I'm not computer literate enough to know.... It would be awesome to buy such an app so we could transfer our "Laptop" version directly to a tablet without the need for the internet or anyone else's reader program!
Thanks, Mattee
Mattee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 08:25 PM   #2
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Since Calibre is running on the three major PC platforms my guess, and it's only a guess, is that a port to Android might not be too difficult. A bigger question is probably whether it's worth doing. The vast majority of the people who have a use for a program like Calibre have a PC of some sort and the only large scale use of Android these days is on phones, where Calibre probably wouldn't be as useful.

Of course now that I've said that the Android version will likely be released in a few days.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2019, 12:18 AM   #3
be4morgan
Enthusiast
be4morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.be4morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.be4morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.be4morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.be4morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.be4morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.be4morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.be4morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.be4morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.be4morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.be4morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
It really depends on the web developers of Caliber as to whether they would want to create an app for android users, but there is a possibility since a lot of people nowadays rely on their smartphone devise.
be4morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 01:19 AM   #4
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Caveat with mobile devices is they seem to be getting more and more restrictive when it comes to storage and sandboxing.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 06:24 AM   #5
cd2013
Connoisseur
cd2013 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3G
Not everyone will agree, but I find that these catalog-management applications, like Calibre for books or MediaMonkey for music, make much more sense if you use the full application on a PC or Mac, where having a bigger screen makes the app more productive, and a companion smartphone app, like Calibre Companion, to browse the library from a smartphone.

There is also the question of where to store the data (books) you are organising.
I wouldn't want to store it on a phone. I could keep the data on Dropbox or on a NAS and connect the phone, but why? I see many downsides in running Calibre from a phone vs a PC, but not many advantages.
cd2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2019, 04:05 PM   #6
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd2013 View Post
Not everyone will agree, but I find that these catalog-management applications, like Calibre for books or MediaMonkey for music, make much more sense if you use the full application on a PC or Mac, where having a bigger screen makes the app more productive, and a companion smartphone app, like Calibre Companion, to browse the library from a smartphone.

There is also the question of where to store the data (books) you are organising.
I wouldn't want to store it on a phone. I could keep the data on Dropbox or on a NAS and connect the phone, but why? I see many downsides in running Calibre from a phone vs a PC, but not many advantages.
I wouldn't need to run full Calibre on smartphone or tablet. However, tablet users need a better interface that makes more efficient use of the display area.

On online shopping sites, there's usually a tag-browser like menu on the left where one can select multiple, hierarchical filters based on various criteria. I'd like something like that when browsing my Calibre library on the go.

Mind, it would be nice if one can run a client/server setup wherein main Calibre would be running on desktop or NAS and you can connect to it via Android/iOS app or another Calibre instance on a different tablet/PC while still retaining full capabilities (plugins, bulk metadata edit and conversion, cover generation, etc). Content server is much more powerful compared to before but it's still a far cry from full Calibre.
Old 03-01-2019, 04:22 PM   #7
cd2013
Connoisseur
cd2013 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3G
Some discussions on Calibre and NAS:

https://www.reddit.com/r/synology/co..._calibre_help/

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=290598

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=267302

I don't see much point in this setup, but everyone's use and preferences are different.
cd2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 04:40 PM   #8
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd2013 View Post
Some discussions on Calibre and NAS:

https://www.reddit.com/r/synology/co..._calibre_help/

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=290598

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=267302

I don't see much point in this setup, but everyone's use and preferences are different.
Note, I mentioned client/server setup. The client part of the equation isn't really available yet.

Majority of my personal computing is done on the iPad (while in bed, couch, car, etc). Calibre is one of the few exceptions that requires having to get up and go to my desktop.