Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-13-2017, 09:22 AM   #511
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post

Does anyone have a rationale for why this Ikea flat pack look has taken hold, my theory is that it's a reactionary response to Windows Aero.

BR
Don't ask me, the first thing I've done with the last tool I've had to use is to change the background to pink
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 09:40 AM   #512
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Sigh -- I am really starting to regret opening this can of worms, I'm afraid the shop for taking UI suggestions is now closed. This is what we have and I am not going to spend any more time on it. I really dont have the patience to sort through dozens of conflicting opinions about what goes where and what shade it should be and what words it should use. Life is too short.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2017, 10:00 AM   #513
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
No idea, and I wish it hadn't. Now one must sweep the mouse hither and yon to find active regions of the screen. For the life of me I can't see why it is better then visually obvious buttons.

And yes, I am an old fart who doesn't like change, especially change that seems to be only for change's sake.
Same here. If it's a button, ^&^& show it as one. But then, I'm an old fart too
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 10:13 AM   #514
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
And yes, I am an old fart who doesn't like change, especially change that seems to be only for change's sake.
to some extent, because I often like change that others abhor, Dylan going electric, MS Office Ribbons.

If I were where you are, I would no doubt welcome the new man in the Élysée; what a contrast between goings on either side of the La Manche. Perhaps it comes Brussels - look Ma, no borders. I will rebrand it as the Schengen borderless look.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 10:21 AM   #515
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Sigh -- I am really starting to regret opening this can of worms, I'm afraid the shop for taking UI suggestions is now closed. This is what we have and I am not going to spend any more time on it. I really dont have the patience to sort through dozens of conflicting opinions about what goes where and what shade it should be and what words it should use. Life is too short.
Welcome to the UI design world, and user opinions. Thank you for your changes.
Advert
Old 06-13-2017, 11:30 AM   #516
DaltonST
Deviser
DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Default Newly Installed Calibre First Impressions

This might be a good time to update the default Preferences > ToolBar and > Look & Feel for brand new, original installs of Calibre for new users who have no clue what a modern Calibre GUI can look like if properly configured. First impressions etc.

Last edited by DaltonST; 06-13-2017 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Fixed typo.
DaltonST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 04:32 AM   #517
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@DaltonST: Not sure what settings you are referring to. Can you elaborate?
Old 06-14-2017, 05:39 AM   #518
jony08
Connoisseur
jony08 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Thank you for making the UI changes, IMO they were much needed. I understand if you need to focus on other important parts of calibre. I also think it would be important to not leave the new UI changes with problems and I hope you can fix the the most important problems that have come up with the new UI changes that were made and leave the other ones. IMO it would be to not use the same settings icon in three places, change the header of the Tag browser to italic and make buttons look like buttons.

Or change back the icons in the status bar and use the old Tag browser look, it was better before with the Alter Tag browser button that was easy to understand.

Last edited by jony08; 06-14-2017 at 10:16 PM.
jony08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 02:17 PM   #519
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
I am having a problem with the e-book editor in 64-bit version 2.99.13 under Windows 10. The UI becomes non-responsive and "(Not Responding)" appears on the title bar at random points while working. It happens quickly, usually within a minute of usage while editing html. Task manager show no CPU usage while hung. I have waited up to 30 minutes before killing the process.

I had no problems with the editor under previous versions of calibre, but this is the first 2.99 release I have used. I reverted back to version 2.85.1 and have not had the problem since.

I am not sure how to go about diagnosing the cause of this.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 03:17 PM   #520
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer

I don't know, jhowell. I've been using the editor with almost all the betas, and no problem at all.
Old 06-15-2017, 03:48 PM   #521
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I am having a problem with the e-book editor in 64-bit version 2.99.13 under Windows 10. The UI becomes non-responsive and "(Not Responding)" appears on the title bar at random points while working. It happens quickly, usually within a minute of usage while editing html. Task manager show no CPU usage while hung. I have waited up to 30 minutes before killing the process.

I had no problems with the editor under previous versions of calibre, but this is the first 2.99 release I have used. I reverted back to version 2.85.1 and have not had the problem since.

I am not sure how to go about diagnosing the cause of this.
Are you using the 32-bit portable or the 64-bit non-portable? The version can make the difference. I've used the 32-bit portable version and I've not had a problem of Not Responding.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 11:02 PM   #522
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

@jhowell: Does it happen with all files or a specific file? Can you install the portable version and try it with default settings?

From your description it sounds like a deadlock. Given that there are no changes in the calibre editor code in the beta comapred to 2.85.1 it would imply something in Qt. Unfortunately, that is particularly hard to diagnose.

The only place the editor code itself uses a lock is for completion. Does the hang happen when a completion popup would normally be triggered? For instance when editing a href attribute?
Old 06-16-2017, 01:10 AM   #523
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Hmmm... opened 2.99.13 and got a popup for new version available. Went to the webpage and says 2.85.1 but download is for 3.0.0. I hadn't checked for a few days since I was tied up with Palo Alto's Ignite 2017.

I take it that Calibre 3.0 is now live.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 01:23 AM   #524
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

It is

You probably just need to refresh the page in your browser. It shows 3.0.0 for me.
Old 06-16-2017, 02:34 AM   #525
aCIDsLAM
Enthusiast
aCIDsLAM began at the beginning.

Device: Xiaomi MI Pad 1, LineageOS14.1
[QUOTE=

@acidslam: This release also has Qt compiled to load opengl dynamically. That *might* allow it to work without the opengl dll, since calibre itself does not use opengl -- it depends on what Qt does about delay loading that dll.[/QUOTE]

That did it. Thank you. Maybe you should rethink the 30 secs timeout. I always run into it, the first time i open the webpage. But for me now, the product is perfect. Thanks!
aCIDsLAM is offline   Reply With Quote