Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Interead COOL-ER

Notices

Old 03-15-2011, 05:16 AM   #16
thegrabber
thegrabber began at the beginning.

Device: cool-er
Red face

Sadly yesterday the files were both deleted.
Please, can somebody repost ?
thegrabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:47 AM   #17
codeMonkey
Zealot
codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Cool-ER (running pocketbook firmware), Nokia N800, Nokia N900
Just re-checked. MegaUpload links are still definitely working...
codeMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2011, 03:49 PM   #18
thegrabber

Sorry, but I must repeat.
The megaupload links are still there but the direct links to rapidshare, where megaupload points, say that the files were deleted.
Anyway, thanks for all you can do or tell me about.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:23 AM   #19
codeMonkey
Zealot
codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Just to clarify, in case we're getting our wires crossed, I managed to download the file following these instructions.

I googled for "FR-TO-PB.EXE multiupload"
Went to the multiupload site and it gave me several links to rapidshare, megaupload and others.
I clicked one of the MegaUpload links and waited for x seconds for it to start downloading.
I downloaded the file.

I've put a copy on DropBox here now, so if the links still aren't working you should hopefully be able to get it from there.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:35 AM   #20
thegrabber

Sorry. I am so stupid.
I haven't seen the other links at the end of the page but just rapidshare.
I apologize and thank you very much.
Advert
Old 03-16-2011, 11:32 AM   #21
codeMonkey
Zealot

Glad you got the file
Good luck applying it to the Cool-ER if you end up doing it
Old 03-24-2011, 08:50 AM   #22
JDC
JDC began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, Cool-er, Android
I got a refurb Cooler off ebay just to try this software, Got one for £38 and with this firmware I actually prefer it to my Kindle. Sure it boots slower but is much more configurable , fonts are excellent and you can use True Type fonts and add them if there is a font that you prefer. It supports themes and shutdown screens that do not require hacks to get them working unlike the kindle. I have been very impressed with it and even did the 15.3 update which is the latest one and it works flawlessly . Give this tired device a genuine boost and the interface is much more user friendly.
JDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 07:08 AM   #23
codeMonkey
Zealot

I find the boot time (which seems better than the original Cool-ER firmware anyway) is more than made up for by the option where it screenshots the last page you were reading - so you can begin reading even before it's fully loaded

So the 15.3 update works well? I'd read that there were some problems with reading PDF, have you seen any of this? I'll stick with the current one until I'm sure these are ironed out - I like to read a lot of PDFs too.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:57 AM   #24
JDC
JDC began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, Cool-er, Android
Yes the boot time is faster than the original and I agree the screenshot of the last page makes up for booting, I always turn it off without reading the page so that it has booted by the time I'm ready to move on. I have not tried PDF files with 15.3 as I have found very few devices do them well. The Kindle doesnt do them well either or Android Pads, except possibly DocumentsToGo on android does pdf reflow resonably. I either try to get other formats or convert PDF. I have also found the screen contrast is better with 15.3, maybe thats just personal opinion but text seems sharper and bolder.
JDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:45 PM   #25
perry261
perry261 began at the beginning.

Device: infibeam pi
pocketbook 301 firmware for COOL-ER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qxr View Post
It looks like Cool-er can be updated with Росketbook 301 firmware (which is considered to be the best among the Netronix' clones). Those interested do the following:
1. Google and double-google to make sure that Росketbook 301 rules.
2. Google for < "FR-TO-PB.EXE" multiupload >.
3. Get the FR-TO-PB.EXE self-extracting archive, extract its content to an SD card to be used for the update.
4. Find the fr2pb.pl file in the myfiles folder of the update set, open it in a text editor, locate the following lines
!grep(/mtd5: 02000000 00020000 "app"/,@mtdtable) ||
!grep(/mtd6: 1d440000 00020000 "other"/,@mtdtable))

and replace them with
!grep(/mtd5: 02000000 00020000 "app"/,@mtdtable))
5. Save the file and update Cool-er using the SD card.
6. Enjoy.

Note:
- they say that Cool-er will not be updateable anymore after this update.
- do it at your own risk, only if you are ready to get your Cool-er bricked.
- if you started the update but after 10 minutes you are not sure that it is in progress, you have failed. If your previous firmware will not install after 2 attempts, install booq's (also do it twice, if the first attempt fails), then yours or try again with this one.
- there are at least two people who have made it (judging by the-ebook.org posts).
- the default interface language will be Russian, but it can be changed to English, German or Hebrew.

PS More things to note:
- I was informed that the internal memory of Cool-ers with 1 Gb onboard decreases to 512 Mb. Personally, I think the gain is worth the loss;
- One can install the latest version of Росketbook SW (v15.2) after this update (which is 14.2). However, v14.2 is considered to be more stable.
Thanks member QXR ,for the pocketbook 301 firmware link.
I am staying in India and installed the PB301 firmware on my Infibeam PI ereader (a Netroix EB600 clone sold in India ).Now I can read many more formats and also have more fonts.

I understand there is a option to have ROOT access on TERMINAL window
in PB301 firmware. How do you open it. I am not able to locate it ,in any menu.

I shall be grateful for your guidance .

perry261

29 March 2011
India
perry261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:51 PM   #26
perry261

pocketbook firmware on Cool-Er

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeMonkey View Post
Installed this onto my Cool-ER... It is way better than I'd imagined

There's no real need for a backdoor - you can get an actual terminal running on it, and practically everything is configurable via the settings or config files...
Dear codeMonkey,
I have installed the PB301 firmware on my Infibeam PI Ereader (Another Netronix EB600 clone sold in India ). The firmware is working very well. now I have more fonts and more file formats that an be opened.

I would like to open a Terminal window and have ROOT access. How can it be done ??

perry261

29 March 2011
India
Old 03-29-2011, 12:52 AM   #27
codeMonkey
Zealot

Applications (including terminal) are available from here.
Once you've extracted them and copied the file into the correct place the terminal application will be available in Applications.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:07 AM   #28
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry261 View Post
I would like to open a Terminal window and have ROOT access. How can it be done ??
Install application poterm.
http://pocketbook-free.sourceforge.net/en/index.shtml

Just copy it to the /system/games directory when you connect reader to PC. Then start it from main menu -> games
When you start poterm there is no login. You are automatically root.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 04:04 PM   #29
freeman2002
freeman2002 began at the beginning.

can't get rid of the bookland page

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDC View Post
Yes the boot time is faster than the original and I agree the screenshot of the last page makes up for booting, .
This part is not working for me, I always get the bookland logo even if I set the menu to screenshot. Somebody knows how to repair this.

I already did a reset and also removed te config file from the memory

greetings freeman2002

Last edited by freeman2002; 03-29-2011 at 04:15 PM.
freeman2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:48 PM   #30
perry261

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Install application poterm.
http://pocketbook-free.sourceforge.net/en/index.shtml

Just copy it to the /system/games directory when you connect reader to PC. Then start it from main menu -> games
When you start poterm there is no login. You are automatically root.
Many thanks for the link and guidance.
Do you know of any application to take backup of pb301 OS files?
There is a provision for update via UPDATE.BIN file on SD card. But there is no provision to re-install firmware as one can do on COOL-ER or Infibeam PI (netronix clone from India ).
I am anxious about how to re-install firmware in case of any crash/file corruption.