Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-05-2019, 06:09 PM   #1
Filimonova
Filimonova began at the beginning.

Device: none
Looking for a simple e-reader without touchscreen due to shaky hands?

Hi everyone,

What would be best recommendations for a reliable simple e-reader without touchscreen, as well as no need at all for keyboard, dictionary or wi-fi (usb connection to computer is good enough)?

I am getting one for my 80+ grandmother who has tremor in her hands, and uses it to only read books and turn pages (i.e., she never uses dictionary or makes notes). Her old one fit this purpose perfectly but just died. Unfortunately, her ability to use touchscreens is only about 50% successful as tremor leads to consistent mis-alignment between intention and signal; and the more sensitive the touchscreen, the worse it gets, based on her smartphone experience with every available accessibility feature turned up. So I need a very simple model that could be reliably navigated with buttons only (i.e., the kind they probably don’t make any more…).

I reviewed the discussion in an earlier thread about e-readers for “touchscreen haters” (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=294259), but it got muddled up with many options that do have touchscreen after all or keyboard. I wrote down several models from it. But it is also a year later, so I wondered if something else or different advice may be available.

Also, for older models, does any one know where to find them - in Canada? For example, it is my understanding that Kindle 4 or 5 fit the requirements well, but when I try to search on Amazon or Best Buy, the only results I get are for hundreds of cases - not the e-readers themselves…
Filimonova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 06:13 PM   #2
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Used models are found on Ebay, not Amazon or Best Buy. I don't think Woot.com ships to Canada.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 06:16 PM   #3
Filimonova

Thanks! So most likely I should aim for a used model then? Ideally I would like to get a new one, I just don't know if any new models like this are still produced and sold...
Old 01-05-2019, 06:24 PM   #4
Blas
Ulica Guy
Blas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: Kobo H2O and Motorola XOOM 2(for comics)
From what I have seen lately I doubt you will find a brand new without touchscreen. But if it can help, try to found the ones that have buttons on the sides for the turning pages actions.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Blas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 06:34 PM   #5
Filimonova

Hmm, I saw in that previous thread that some touchscreens could be disabled. Or she could try to avoid touching it...

So I guess if a model has touchscreen AND buttons that allow both selection and page turning, it could work too. It's just that it would be best if going through lists or folders and selecting a book could also be done with buttons...
Old 01-05-2019, 07:53 PM   #6
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
You can turn the touchscreen off on the 2017 Kindle Oasis, and use the page turn buttons instead. But the setting is reset every time the device goes to sleep. It requires 3 screen taps to disable it again.

The touchscreen can only be disabled when there is a book open. The Home screen and other menus such as the font & page options are only navigated using touch. Page turns are the only thing done with the buttons.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 08:08 PM   #7
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Would the Kobo Forma be an option worth considering? I think it does have a touchscreen, but like the Kindle Oasis, it also has page turn buttons on the side, removing any need to use the touchscreen for turning pages. I don't know if the menu options can be accessed by the page turn buttons though
Old 01-05-2019, 10:58 PM   #8
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
The new Paperwhite touch screen can be disabled for the duration of the session. However, very shaky hands might find that difficult at the start of each session. It probably depends on how bad the problem is.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 11:56 PM   #9
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
If your grandmother is/was using a specific reader and likes that model, it might be good to mention it as it will give us something to compare it to. Also we might be able to help you find one just like it.

That said, I think PocketBook still makes the Basic, which doesn't have a touch screen. I don't know much about it beyond that.

The PocketBook Basic 3 is sold by Amazon in Canada, but it looks REALLY expensive for what it is.

https://www.amazon.ca/PocketBook-PB6...cketbook+basic
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 07:59 AM   #10
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
I was going to mention that a few Pocketbook models have page turn buttons. You could also look at older versions of the Sony ereaders, such as the prs 505. Sony don't make ereaders anymore, unfortunately, but you can sometimes find these on ebay.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 07:19 PM   #11
Filimonova

Thank you very much, I will make sure to check out all these ideas!

As for the suggestion to post the specific model she had, it was a Digma... and I believe that this particular model (e61m) was/is unique to the Eastern European/Russian market. At least, I could not locate any meaningful information about it in English.