Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-18-2017, 06:41 AM   #556
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Kovid accepted a patch to add an option to show the buttons instead of the layout button. If the option Preferences / Look & Feel is checked then the calibre status bar looks like the image below.
Thanks for your effort and time.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 06:51 AM   #557
MerlinMama
Evangelist
MerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Kovid accepted a patch to add an option to show the buttons instead of the layout button.
Thank you, that's great
MerlinMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 07:34 AM   #558
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Kovid accepted a patch to add an option to show the buttons instead of the layout button. If the option Preferences / Look & Feel is checked then the calibre status bar looks like the image below. The order of the buttons can change depending on which of a "wide" or "narrow" global layout is selected.

Note: I am not interested in getting into a debate about how many pixels should separate the buttons, the icons, the button order, or the button size.
Thank you!

I can't give you karma yet - apparently I have to share the wealth elsewhere first.
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 07:37 AM   #559
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Note: I am not interested in getting into a debate about how many pixels should separate the buttons, the icons, the button order, or the button size.
Wise man And thank you a lot.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 07:56 AM   #560
K8HW
Connoisseur
K8HW began at the beginning.

Device: Galaxy A03s, Galaxy Tab A, Kindle Paperwhite (10th Gen), Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolas F View Post
Thanks for calibre v3!

Two details:
-"Show" and "Hide" aren't translated in the layout menu (and I didn't saw them in transifex if I'm not mistaken)
-The new splash screen is great, but the text (initialising...) is partly on "starting up, please wait": Attachment 157339
(on windows 10, with calibre 64bit)

Edit: and "But don't show entries that have..." isn't translated either in the advanced search menu.
I am running Windows 10, with calibre 64bit) My splash is just fine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-06-18.png
Views:	143
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	157374  
K8HW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 04:47 PM   #561
RelUnrelated
RelUnrelated is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Kovid accepted a patch to add an option to show the buttons instead of the layout button. If the option Preferences / Look & Feel is checked then the calibre status bar looks like the image below.
Thank you so very much for the time and effort you put into this. I am very pleased.
RelUnrelated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 05:19 PM   #562
RelUnrelated
RelUnrelated is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
@RelUnrelated: That's weird. I dont what could cause that. The file list is a pretty standrad Qt tree widget to draw the lines between categories and the file sizes, but the actual text backgrtound is drawn by Qt itself. You see this in any other tree views or only this one? The Tag Browser in the main calibre interface or the Style Rules in the editor reports tool?
I only see this effect in the file browser within the editor. The reports tool in the editor appears normal. I can only assume it's getting that color information from the system's Qt settings, which are derived from the Gnome settings.

I found that by changing the GTK+ theme used by my system, the editor's file browser style changed with it, so it's definitely getting the color settings from my system rather than internally. [I have a "dark" theme normally set on GTK+]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2017-06-18 16-18-13.png
Views:	152
Size:	220.3 KB
ID:	157383  
RelUnrelated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 07:08 PM   #563
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Kovid accepted a patch to add an option to show the buttons instead of the layout button. If the option Preferences / Look & Feel is checked then the calibre status bar looks like the image below. The order of the buttons can change depending on which of a "wide" or "narrow" global layout is selected.

@chaley, if it's easily done, maybe now is the time to fix this related and long-standing anomaly ==>> https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...91#post3539091. And again, if it's easily done, give the Layout button itself a keyboard shortcut.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 06-18-2017 at 07:13 PM.
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 08:52 PM   #564
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@chaley, if it's easily done, maybe now is the time to fix this related and long-standing anomaly ==>> https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...91#post3539091.
Problem solved, Kovid changed the layout in post 536 so it doesn't show any shortcut information.
Old 06-18-2017, 10:21 PM   #565
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
Problem solved, Kovid changed the layout in post 536 so it doesn't show any shortcut information.
But I will have to click the Layout button if I can't recall a shortcut, and I won't get an instant reminder of what the shortcut is, and the shortcuts displayed in the button tooltips are probably the defaults rather than the values I set in Preferences Keyboard.

Now that chaley has provided a setting that shows a row of individual buttons in the status bar, as in previous versions, I suggest the Layout button be given a keyboard shortcut and revert to showing a list so that the items can be accessed from the keyboard without having remember several shortcuts.

I would I give it a shortcut of 'L', use arrow keys to navigate, and Enter to select - using one finger. I have to use two hands if I want to use a pointing device with any precision. I've tried many devices, most recently a $US700 Roller Mouse (on loan), it was good, but it interfered with my use of the keyboard too much.
--------------------

The Sort button shown in Grid view might also be useful in the List view, a column header is not always available to click because its under the book details panel, or it's off the edge of the window, or the column is represented within a composite icon, or its not even shown in the book list.

Clicking column headers can be a bit of hit and miss proposition for people with hand mobility or hand-eye coordination disabilities. Clicking a clearly labelled button would be much easier. Speaking for myself I would like to have the option of disabling column header clicking to sort, the only time I 'use' it is when I inadvertently click the header instead of a cell in the topmost book, or I want to drag the column to another position.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 06-18-2017 at 10:37 PM.
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 10:44 PM   #566
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
the shortcuts displayed in the button tooltips
It wasn't clear that button tool-tips were something you wanted addressed. I thought the issue was that the wrong shortcuts were shown in the drop-down menu. This problem has been corrected since in the next version the drop-down menu now doesn't show any shortcuts.

If in the new version there are going to be shortcuts shown when you hover over the buttons it would make sense that the tool-tips show the actual value the user assigns the button.

Quote:
I suggest the Layout button be given a keyboard shortcut and revert to showing a list so that it can be accessed from keyboard without having remember several shortcuts.
I specifically did not address the bolded request above and the second part of the above request was never actually requested that I saw, so I definitely didn't address that request.

Now that chaley has added the option to go back to the buttons maybe Kovid will revert back to a full layout menu with the enhancement that you are asking implemented as requested.

I personally have no stake one way or the other.
Old 06-19-2017, 02:13 AM   #567
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
@BR: You want a sort button in all views, add it to the context menu via Preferences->Toolbars.

And I'm afraid I am not interested in adding a keyboard shortcut for the layout button. Having shortcuts for individual layout actions is quite enough.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:32 AM   #568
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
@chaley, if it's easily done, maybe now is the time to fix this related and long-standing anomaly ==>> https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...91#post3539091.
I am not sure what anomaly you are referring to. If you mean "the tooltip doesn't show changed shortcuts", that is fixed. I submitted a patch but Kovid came up with a much better way to do it. Note that when using the Layout Button, the sub-buttons do not show a tooltip, which isn't changing. A tooltip is displayed when using the individual buttons.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 11:00 AM   #569
spliton210
spliton210 began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Tab S2
Hi,

I am running Ubuntu 17.04, I had version 2.85.1 running absolutely fine.

Upgraded to v3.0.0 (manual binary install) and am unable to run Calibre at all - debug file attached. Revert back to 2.85.1 and all is fine again. Have repeated 3 times with exactly the same results.

Regards
Attached Files
File Type: txt calibre-debug.txt (10.8 KB, 140 views)
spliton210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 11:12 AM   #570
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Qt 5.6, which calibre 3.0 uses is incompatible with your X server implementation, see all the error messages in the that log from QXcbConnection

You'll have to stay with 2.x
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote