Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-20-2017, 09:41 PM   #1
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
KOA2 jail break

Updated: 03/10/2018

Directions as a web page:
http://knetconnect.com/koa2/KOA2_Jailbreak.xhtml

Directions as a PDF file:
http://knetconnect.com/koa2/KOA2_Jailbreak.pdf
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/kn..._Jailbreak.pdf

Source repository (only the textile format drops the toc and the section numbers):
https://github.com/knc1/KOA2_Jailbreak

The "master" of all format versions is the *.lyx (LyX document processor).
All other formats are either exports from LyX or *.tex -> pandoc conversions (yes, I could output ms word).

Notes:
  • KOA2 devices have started to ship with firmwares more recent than the two versions listed at the top of the directions. We can not jail break those (yet).
  • People still need to PM me for the password to the files.
    But please read the complete directions first.
  • The problem I had with my unregistered KOA2 was not the fault of the Kindle.
    There was a strange problem with my PC.
See, it works, even if unregistered:

Last edited by knc1; 03-10-2018 at 03:44 AM. Reason: March update
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 09:41 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Reserved
Advert
Old 11-21-2017, 07:00 AM   #3
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Hi. Just received the KOA2, blocked the update, willing to JB it, but the tools are only available with a password, which I don't have, I suppose because it's still beta.

Is it accessible somewhere else or will this stay beta, and if so, can we still access it or is it for a certain group only?
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 08:51 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
Hi. Just received the KOA2, blocked the update, willing to JB it, but the tools are only available with a password, which I don't have, I suppose because it's still beta.

Is it accessible somewhere else or will this stay beta, and if so, can we still access it or is it for a certain group only?
I will PM you the details.

The biggest part of the reason why things are the way they are, is I did not want "broken" packages escaping to the general public.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:10 AM   #5
Pizza_Cant_Read
Sentient Sauce
Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 9th Gen Oasis
Quote:

I too first tried downloading the jail break, clicking 'save as' only to have it result in a tar.gz.html. As a new Mac user I thought maybe that is what was mentioned about it being converted to a safe archive so I found the setting to disable this in Safari->Preferences->General , but when the same thing occurred a couple more times I tried opening it and realized that sure enough, the link isn't the tar - it is only a password protected page. I am definitely a n00b

Last I heard, the jail break was only available to people who helped out, it is possible it hasn't been unprotected yet and will wait to hear from the OP...not that I mind waiting for others to test it first. I already sold my original Oasis and prefer not to brick this one - Thanks to everyone who worked hard to develop this exploit!

Next, I have a question. Is there any hope for people like myself who already updated the firmware? Can I roll back using the factory image linked in the file? Just hit the 14 days yesterday so returning isn't an option, and that would feel a bit frivolous anyhow :/
Pizza_Cant_Read is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2017, 09:16 AM   #6
knc1
Going Viral

There may not be any hope for someone who let the device update to 5.9.2
Of course, not much time has been spent on it.
Time is being spent first for the people who didn't let it update.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:21 AM   #7
Pizza_Cant_Read
Sentient Sauce
Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 9th Gen Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
There may not be any hope for someone who let the device update to 5.9.2
Of course, not much time has been spent on it.
Time is being spent first for the people who didn't let it update.
That implies there is no method of rolling back, right? Therefore would the best advice be to create a top level directory named "update.bin.tmp.partial" to prevent digging a deeper hole with later updates?

Last edited by Pizza_Cant_Read; 11-21-2017 at 09:45 AM.
Pizza_Cant_Read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 09:23 AM   #8
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I will PM you the details.

The biggest part of the reason why things are the way they are, is I did not want "broken" packages escaping to the general public.
Thanks a lot. I get the whys. Better be safe than sorry indeed.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:34 AM   #9
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Thanks a lot. I get the whys. Better be safe than sorry indeed.
Progress should pick up pace RSN.
Someone sent me a new Oasis to work with.
Old 11-21-2017, 02:51 PM   #10
jscris
Addict
jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: k1 - KAO2, ipads, h2o, KA1, inkBOOK, T80s, Mars, Nova Pro
Quote:
Progress should pick up pace RSN.
Someone sent me a new Oasis to work with.
To the Oasis donor from those of us who will benefit from the jailbreak:
jscris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 05:38 AM   #11
aceflor
Wizard

I can report that it's working!

Great Job knc1, explanations were super clear and easy to follow.
Old 11-22-2017, 08:05 AM   #12
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
I can report that it's working!

Great Job knc1, explanations were super clear and easy to follow.
You would do best to just leave it as-is for now.
As in, don't update it yet.
Most of the times, the jail break survives the update to 5.9.2, but then ....

There isn't much fixed yet to run on it.
But of course people are working on this things.
Old 11-22-2017, 08:08 AM   #13
aceflor
Wizard

Quote:
You would do best to just leave it as-is for now.
As in, don't update it yet.

Most of the times, the jail break survives the update to 5.9.2, but then ....

There isn't much fixed yet to run on it.
But of course people are working on this things.
Exactly what I was planning to do .
Old 11-22-2017, 08:44 AM   #14
knc1
Going Viral

New Oasis Identifications

So far we have three known, new model identifications by the first six characters of the serial number:
G000P8, G000S1, G000SA
This information is used internally, in our package creation and package coding.

We need to know if anyone has an identification string different than those three above.
Tell us now, or your model may not be supported the first time around with new KOA2 packaging.
Because of internal changes by Amazon/Lab126, there may be "KOA2 specific" package versions, at least for awhile.

Ref:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Serial_Numbers

Last edited by knc1; 11-22-2017 at 08:47 AM.
Old 11-22-2017, 03:15 PM   #15
makue
Custom User Title
makue began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3
My KOA2 G000 SA12 - 5.9.0.6 arrived today unregistered as it was ordered as a present

At least my device has a fully functional usb interface although not registered

I dumped it as it was and now after having it registererd I'm dumping it again as adviced by knc1. Will upload the result later

@knc1: may you please send me the missing password for the jb, I will try this next.

Regards, Matthias
makue is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jailbreak, koa2