Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-18-2017, 09:00 AM   #31
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalbrecht View Post
and it started upgrading, but has been sitting at 5 boxes for about an hour. It's possible that there's an issue with the 64GB memory card or the 21,000 ebooks on it.

Update: I gave up waiting, re-imaged my memory card, and changed my affiliate to KoboIndigo, and it updated it directly to 4.3.8966. Now I need to have Calibre reload my reader.
Seriously, did you try to restart it, first?
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 09:31 AM   #32
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalbrecht View Post
My Kobo Glo HD which I had set to affiliate Kobo was at 3.19.5761 got upgraded tonight to twice, I think to 4.3.8842 and then immediately to 4.3.8845, and after I changed the affiliate to KoboIndigo, it updated to 4.3.8966.

My other Kobo Glo HD, was sitting at 4.2.8432, with affiliate of RakutenBooks. I just change its affiliate setting to KoboIndigo, performed a manual sync, and it started upgrading, but has been sitting at 5 boxes for about an hour. It's possible that there's an issue with the 64GB memory card or the 21,000 ebooks on it.

Update: I gave up waiting, re-imaged my memory card, and changed my affiliate to KoboIndigo, and it updated it directly to 4.3.8966. Now I need to have Calibre reload my reader.
There is a database migration between 4.3.8845 and 4.3.8966. It is an update to a value in the content table. As this contains a row for every book on the device, plus one for every ToC entry in the books, it could take a while. I wouldn't have thought an hour. A problem could be that it ran out of battery. If it was already the upgrade plus migration will use a lot of power and if it ran out in the middle of this, there would not be any notice shown.

You were probably right to do the factory reset. Plugging it in to charge and restarting the device might have worked, but I suspect you would have ended up with a corrupt database and having to sign out to fix it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2017, 11:17 AM   #33
pmwt
Enthusiast
pmwt began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksquared View Post
On my Aura 6", The reading stats do not appear to be fixed.

I started a book late yesterday - on the home screen it shows I am 11% complete, which is reasonable. On the Activity screen, it shows 0 hours, 0 average minutes, 13 page turns (I am on page 33) and 0 average page turns per minute. It shows I have read 4769 hours total, which is just shy of 200 days - on an e-reader that I have had for less then 2 years. I read about 1/2 to 1 hour a day, so that does not seem likely. It might be moving a decimal place.

Sorry for the bad news.
I updated my old Kobo Touch to 4.3.8945 (the auto update did not do 4.3.8966) and read an ebook for about a few minutes (3?). It added 3 hours to my reading time. However after some playing around with the device which included powering it off and attempt to sync for the new update, I restarted the ereader which still showed the wrong reading time. But when I opened the Reading stats page, it showed my reading time correctly (minus the 3 hours). Not sure what is going on, but I will not update my GloHD to the new version for now. Thanks.
pmwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 01:37 PM   #34
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
I lied. I have 21,000 books in my Calibre library, I only copy 14,000 to my Glo HDs.

I'm still copying everything over, but it seems to be working. On the second Glo HD, I had it plugged in while it was booting, but I let it sit there for over an hour before I gave up and re-imaged it.

Last edited by bgalbrecht; 03-18-2017 at 01:40 PM.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 05:39 PM   #35
Ksquared
Groupie
Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Original Kobo Aura 6", Libra H2O
Quote:
On my Aura 6", The reading stats do not appear to be fixed.

I started a book late yesterday - on the home screen it shows I am 11% complete, which is reasonable. On the Activity screen, it shows 0 hours, 0 average minutes, 13 page turns (I am on page 33) and 0 average page turns per minute. It shows I have read 4769 hours total, which is just shy of 200 days - on an e-reader that I have had for less then 2 years. I read about 1/2 to 1 hour a day, so that does not seem likely. It might be moving a decimal place.
I just looked at my stats again, and the decimal point has returned, but it now shows 420.1 hours, so this is not just a decimal place issue. Things are jumping around.

I am just going to keep reading!
Ksquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2017, 10:32 AM   #36
chucku
chucku began at the beginning.

Device: none
I synced my Aura H2O and it upgraded the firmware to 4.3.8966. However I have now lost all my collections!
It seems that the books are all still there but no collections. Has anyone else seen this? More important does anyone know of a way to recover? The thought of reassigning 400 books to collections manually is just too depressing to think about.
chucku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 11:06 AM   #37
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Unfortunately there was an issue with the first sync after the upgrade to one of the 4.3.xxxx releases which resulted in the shelves being emptied.

Unless you had a backup of the database and can extract the data from it, or used calibre to manage shelves you are SOL

I'd advise to start using calibre; it makes shelf management and recovery so easy
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 05:16 PM   #38
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I don't sync. I use Calibre to manage my content. I've never lost my collections.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 06:07 PM   #39
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Three firmware updates in 1,5-2 weeks or so. That's fast...

In the previous one (4.3.8945), I had a bug where the reader would rack up thousands of hours read. I was at almost 2700 hours total reading time by the time I finished my current book; after I finished it, the total reading time dropped to 347 hours. Possible, but still very I high. (I don't know my total reading time on the KA1.) I wonder what happens with this firmware.

Even though I still love the big screen and the font adjustments, I'm still less than enamoured with the KA1's software and build quality (with regard to the gaps between the screen and the casing).
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 08:19 PM   #40
Ksquared
Groupie
Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Three firmware updates in 1,5-2 weeks or so. That's fast...

In the previous one (4.3.8945), I had a bug where the reader would rack up thousands of hours read. I was at almost 2700 hours total reading time by the time I finished my current book; after I finished it, the total reading time dropped to 347 hours. Possible, but still very I high. (I don't know my total reading time on the KA1.) I wonder what happens with this firmware.

Even though I still love the big screen and the font adjustments, I'm still less than enamoured with the KA1's software and build quality (with regard to the gaps between the screen and the casing).
Yes, the stats are still having issues.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:49 PM   #41
dmapr
Evangelist
dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
I got tired of the weekly firmware updates and skipped this one, seeing that it has no fixes I care about and afraid something else I do care about gets broken. I really wish I'd kept better track of which firmware upgrade has introduced which fixes/breakages so I could figure out which one I actually want to be on
dmapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 04:09 AM   #42
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Yes, the stats are still having issues.
I noticed. In 4.3.8945, stats racked up thousands of hours of reading. Now, in 4.3.8966, total reading time has dropped to 50 hours (which is waaay off), and the current book stats are all wrong.

This is the third time I've had a firmware in which the stats were broken. I wonder why it's so hard getting this right. I wonder if it's even possible to get it right now that books that I've read in the past have long been removed from the device. There should at least be a button to reset the stats to zero.

I'd rather NOT have a function than have one that is broken half of the time. It suggests incompetence. What is the latest firmware in which the stats worked right and the 1% light setting is the default; 4.3.8871?
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 06:48 AM   #43
Ksquared
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
I noticed. In 4.3.8945, stats racked up thousands of hours of reading. Now, in 4.3.8966, total reading time has dropped to 50 hours (which is waaay off), and the current book stats are all wrong.

This is the third time I've had a firmware in which the stats were broken. I wonder why it's so hard getting this right. I wonder if it's even possible to get it right now that books that I've read in the past have long been removed from the device. There should at least be a button to reset the stats to zero.

I'd rather NOT have a function than have one that is broken half of the time. It suggests incompetence. What is the latest firmware in which the stats worked right and the 1% light setting is the default; 4.3.8871?
For my Aura 6", the stats have been incorrect and inconsistent since 4.2.8432, so the last good FW was 3.19.5761. I am not sure how and when this impacts other devices, especially the KA1.

The 1% light thing never bothered me, so I don't have a timing on that. The stats thing is a little annoyance, but it if really bugged me, I would head back to 3.19.5791. I guess there is a reason we did not get a new FW for a year on most devices.

Make sure to register a complaint with Kobo. They need to know what you think are the most important problems to resolve.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:51 AM   #44
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
To report bugs in the firmware, what's the best way to go about doing so?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 11:59 AM   #45
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
To report bugs in the firmware, what's the best way to go about doing so?
https://www.kobo.com/help/?style=one...&culture=en-US

Contact Kobo Customer Care. That would be the route I'd take anyway.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote