Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil > Plugins

Notices

Old 10-22-2016, 01:55 AM   #16
Fabien
Fabien began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Wow! Thanks a lot Kim for this plugin.

Just a little problem. I write in French and this language uses very often non breaking spaces especially before exclamation marks, interrogations marks, ending quotations marks, and so on.

So I very often have something like this :

Code:
aaa^[blabla] !
After using the plugin, the non breaking space is replaced by an ordinary space and I get

Code:
aaa² !
instead of

Code:
aaa² !
I wrote "²" above but the plugin put "Note 2)"

An idea?
Fabien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 03:47 AM   #17
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Most likely the plugin didn't delete the non-breaking spaces, but merely replaced them with Unicode characters.

You can test this by installing and running the ShadyCharacters plugin.

If that brings back the   entities, select Edit > Preferences > Preserve Entities and and add   to the list.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2016, 03:51 AM   #18
elibrarian
Imperfect Perfectionist
elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabien View Post
Wow! Thanks a lot Kim for this plugin.

Just a little problem. I write in French and this language uses very often non breaking spaces especially before exclamation marks, interrogations marks, ending quotations marks, and so on.
You're welcome.

I have no idea why it's doing so (should be grabbing and using just whatever is between the []'s. I'll look into it, but I have some deadlines for other stuff, so it may be some days, before I get round to it.

Regards,

Kim
elibrarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 02:53 AM   #19
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:

So I very often have something like this :

Code:
aaa^[blabla] !
Just a note about this. Instead of a "normal" non-breaking space, consider using a thin one:  . It could be unsupported in some fonts, but I think every modern reader's default font has it now, and it looks much better.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 04:41 AM   #20
elibrarian
Imperfect Perfectionist
elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I very often have something like this :

Code:
aaa^[blabla] !
After using the plugin, the non breaking space is replaced by an ordinary space and I get

Code:
aaa² !
instead of

Code:
aaa² !
Hello again …

I'm afraid I cannot reproduce your problem (Sigil 0.9.6, no "preserve entities" set. Windows 10).

The " !" in your sample is outside the []' and thus not touched by the plugin, which make me suspect the problem lies somewhere else.

I've made a small sample epub containing the offending code untitled.epub, and running the plugin doesn't alter anything in it - alle entities are preserved. Please try it and let me know the result (you could send me the resulting file.)

Quote:
I wrote "²" above but the plugin put "Note 2)"
That is by design. "²" is very nice and printed-book-like, but almost unusable on a small touch-screen reader or computer, so I put in the ekstra word to make the note links a little bigger. You and anyone else are of course free to edit my code to suit your purposes and preferences

Regards,

Kim
Advert
Old 10-23-2016, 08:33 AM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by elibrarian View Post
That is by design. "²" is very nice and printed-book-like, but almost unusable on a small touch-screen reader or computer, so I put in the ekstra word to make the note links a little bigger. You and anyone else are of course free to edit my code to suit your purposes and preferences
I would add a plea not to use just a superscript number as an endnote hyperlink. As Kim says, it's almost impossible to select on some reading devices - it's just too small.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 10:23 AM   #22
Mark Nord
2B || !2B
Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS505/650/T1/tolino vision 5
+1 to that,
and maybe at bit OT: but why is nobody extending the link (< a > tag) so that the endnoted word itself is the hyperlink?

HTML
Code:
<p>Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, <a  href="#fn1" id="fnref1">consectetur <span class="footnoteRef">1)</span></a> adipiscing elit. </p>
CSS
Code:
span.footnoteRef {
   text-decoration: none;
   border-bottom: 1px dotted;
   color: inherit;
   position: relative;
   top: -0.5em;
   font-size: 70%;
   }
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1.jpg
Views:	418
Size:	9.3 KB
ID:	152544  
Mark Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 11:59 AM   #23
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Hello again …

I'm afraid I cannot reproduce your problem (Sigil 0.9.6, no "preserve entities" set. Windows 10).

The "&nbsp;!" in your sample is outside the []' and thus not touched by the plugin, which make me suspect the problem lies somewhere else.

I've made a small sample epub containing the offending code Attachment 152542, and running the plugin doesn't alter anything in it - alle entities are preserved. Please try it and let me know the result (you could send me the resulting file.)

Regards,

Kim
Yes it does (W10 x64 )
Edit: Preferences: (left sidebar)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Preserve.JPG
Views:	428
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	152556  
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 01:01 PM   #24
elibrarian
Imperfect Perfectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Yes it does (W10 x64 )
Edit: Preferences: (left sidebar)
Hi,

Please elaborate, I'm not sure I understand you. I have not set anything in preserve entities, and the plugiin does not alter my coding - (W10 x64, like you).

Regards,

Kim
Old 10-23-2016, 03:40 PM   #25
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Hi,

Please elaborate, I'm not sure I understand you. I have not set anything in preserve entities, and the plugiin does not alter my coding - (W10 x64, like you).

Regards,

Kim
My bad,

I thought you could not FIND the setting on W10
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 05:19 PM   #26
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Nord View Post
+1 to that,
and maybe at bit OT: but why is nobody extending the link (< a > tag) so that the endnoted word itself is the hyperlink?
@Mark Nord - some. such as me, would assume clicking a blue underlined word would take me to it's definition: e.g. consectetur. If I had no need for the definition, I'd probably miss seeing the reference number.

I put the reference number in brackets either with a less than normal font-weight value (e.g. 200) or colour, so something like this. [23] That's big enough to touch or click, whilst being unobtrusive.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 05:49 PM   #27
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Hi,

Regards,

Kim
&nbsp; was added to the Preserve Entities feature by default. You wouldn't have had to "set" anything.

If, however, the user in question has removed &nbsp; from his list of entities to preserve, it would explain why it's being replaced by a normal space after the plugin run (or an epub save and subsequent reopen).

Last edited by DiapDealer; 10-23-2016 at 05:54 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 04:51 AM   #28
elibrarian
Imperfect Perfectionist

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
&nbsp; was added to the Preserve Entities feature by default. You wouldn't have had to "set" anything.

If, however, the user in question has removed &nbsp; from his list of entities to preserve, it would explain why it's being replaced by a normal space after the plugin run (or an epub save and subsequent reopen).
This is what I mean by "nothing set":

Name:	SigilEntities.png
Views:	414
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	152572

I just installed Sigil 0.9.6 on another computer, where Sigil has never been installed before, and yes, &nbsp; is there by default (I actually set # 160 ; in my working copy of Sigil many Sigil versions ago, since that is what I normally use. I removed it for the sake of the experiment here).

Then I installed my plugin on this virgin installation, and ran it on a file. None of the entities in the file was altered - not by running the plugin, not after a save as and reopening. I then removed the &nbsp; from the "preserve entities", closed and reopened Sigil, opened the file again and ran the plugin. Same result. I simply cannot reproduce the error. Hence I must conclude that something else is afoot.
Old 02-15-2017, 01:12 PM   #29
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Issue with the plugin

Hi;

I'd like to work -with this plugin- incrementally but it gives me an error message:

Spoiler:
Code:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Program Files\Sigil\plugin_launchers\python\launcher.py", line 135, in launch
    self.exitcode = target_script.run(container)
  File "C:\Users\Antonio\AppData\Local\sigil-ebook\sigil\plugins\ePub2-Notes\plugin.py", line 37, in run
    bk.addfile(uid, basename, cssdata, mime)
  File "C:\Program Files\Sigil\plugin_launchers\python\bookcontainer.py", line 166, in addfile
    self._w.addfile(uniqueid, basename, data, mime, properties, fallback, overlay)
  File "C:\Program Files\Sigil\plugin_launchers\python\wrapper.py", line 543, in addfile
    raise WrapperException('Manifest Id is not unique')
wrapper.WrapperException: Manifest Id is not unique
Error: Manifest Id is not unique

Of that way, it's impossible for me to add new footnotes once I have added footnotes previously with the plugin.

Can this issue be fixed?

Thank you very much in advance.

Rubén
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 01:27 PM   #30
elibrarian
Imperfect Perfectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbnJrg View Post
Hi;

I'd like to work -with this plugin- incrementally but it gives me an error message:
--
Of that way, it's impossible for me to add new footnotes once I have added footnotes previously with the plugin.

Can this issue be fixed?

Rubén
When you run the plugin, it generates a footnote.css file. When you run it again (which, btw., I would advise against, since the new footnote's numbers would be duplicate, beginning all over from no. 1, and it's a sheer hell to sort that out), the footnote.css exists, and hence "Manifest Id is not unique".

That might be fixed by letting the plugin check for existing footnote.css - I'll look into it next weekend - but still, this is not footnotes the MSWord/Libreoffice way, and I doubt it's possible to get that functionality in Sigil. (But ideas are welcome, and anyone are welcome to tamper with my probably rather crude coding.)

Regards,

Kim