Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-08-2015, 05:14 PM   #1
zaph0d
zaph0d began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
A few questions from a noob

Hello,

I'm new here and I've been reading the forum for the past few days. Managed to jailbreak my KT2, usbnet installed, python installed and still I'm uncertain about a lot of things.
So here are my questions.

1. I'm currently on 5.6.1.0.2, what are the benefits of downgrading to lower versions, what are the drawbacks on staying on this one?
2. I've read about 'update.bin.tmp.partial' and I've created the dir but is this enough to make sure I won't get silent update? Can I safely go online(wifi)?
3. Since I have usbnet+ssh is there anything else I should do before I can close the device forever. I don't really want to open it multiple times
4. What does the jailbreak hotfix do? Do I need it if I installed the jb.sh manualy?

regards.

Last edited by zaph0d; 12-08-2015 at 06:43 PM.
zaph0d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 06:58 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
1) I don't think there is a lower version for the KT2 (maybe a 5.5.x that was not at-large for very long).

2) Most likely it is, let us know if it isn't (the download is done by the current version firmware you are running (5.6.1.0.2) and I don't think anyone has tested that one - it wasn't around for long either).

3) You should be good to go, with any means to reach a username 'root' command line prompt - so glue it back together.

4) It 'fixes' the old style JB that got damaged by an OTA update.
4.1) No.

4.x) Just keep your JB current with the one in NiLuJe's snapshot thread.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 07:48 PM   #3
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
I'd set up the RescuePack and the Coward's Rescue Pack if that's not already done, but, basically, yeah, you're done .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 07:52 PM   #4
zaph0d

Thanks for the answer.
Some images seem to break the screensaver. All images I upload are 600x800, how can I pinpoint which image is broken?
Whan I pres the sleep/suspend button, the screen blinks and then stays on the home screen while the kindle is suspended, no image appears.

About the rescue packs, I dont even know how they are used but I'll put them if you say so...

EDIT: Okay, I've made a few tests to check which images cause the screensaver to fail and my conclusion is that its not image related. It just happens and when it does the screensaver stops working until the kindle is restarted(sometimes a few times before it actually starts working again).

Checked the logs (mostly messages) and haven't found anything useful, verbose mode does not help either.

All images are 600x800 png

EDIT2: I've noticed some usb storage connect hooks in the linkss code. Do I have to use usb mass storage mode in order everything to work because now that I have usbnet I mostly use scp to copy files?

Last edited by zaph0d; 12-09-2015 at 07:20 AM.
Old 12-09-2015, 12:17 PM   #5
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@zaph0d: See the FAQ in the ScreenSavers thread, you have a broken image in your pool.
Old 12-09-2015, 12:40 PM   #6
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaph0d View Post
- - - -
All images are 600x800 png
- - - -
That **IS NOT** the only requirement.

There was a fairly recent thread on the subject (and NiLuJe even provided an IM command line example to 'fix' images for the Kindle).

IM: Image Magic
Old 12-09-2015, 02:55 PM   #7
zaph0d

Funny because I did this, I cycled through all the images(in cycle mode), found the one and only which was crashing the ss, all the other images were loading ok on sleep. I deleted the broken on, restarted and voila, it broke again

EDIT: I think I found the problem. I delete the broken image, but when I restart the framework I'm still in /mnt/us/linkss/screensavers in the ssh( I try to exit it but forget sometimes) and the device probably is not able to umount /usr/share/blanket/screensaver, the file handler for the image remains open(wild guess) there and although the image is deleted its still used(somehow). Probably /mnt/us/linkss/screensavers remains mounted over and over.. old handlers stay open?(wild guess)
Restarting the device fixes this...

so

Code:
for file in bg_*.png ; do
      convert ${file} -filter LanczosSharp \
         -resize 758x1024 \
         -background black -gravity center \
         -extent 758x1024 \
         -colorspace Gray \
         -dither FloydSteinberg \
         -remap ~SVN/Configs/trunk/Kindle/Touch_Hacks/ScreenSavers/src/linkss/etc/kindle_colors.gif \ 
         -quality 75 -define png:color-type=0 -define png:bit-depth=8 _${file}
done
Which options are mandatory for the fix and which are just 'optional'?

./src/linkss/etc/kindle_colors.gif from the kindle-linkss-0.24.N-r12672.tar.xz?

Last edited by zaph0d; 12-09-2015 at 03:54 PM.
Old 12-09-2015, 04:17 PM   #8
knc1
Going Viral

Are those sizes of 768x1024 correct for the KT-2 screen size?
Better check the KT-2 dimensions (I think its the high res. (300dpi) screen).

The filter, gravity, dither and probably remap are stylistic choices that work well with the Kindles.
Plus, those will depend on your source picture of course.
Playing with one in Gimp might help you decide how you want the ss to look.

Last edited by knc1; 12-09-2015 at 04:21 PM.
Old 12-09-2015, 04:21 PM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaph0d View Post
so

Code:
for file in bg_*.png ; do
      convert ${file} -filter LanczosSharp \
         -resize 758x1024 \
         -background black -gravity center \
         -extent 758x1024 \
         -colorspace Gray \
         -dither FloydSteinberg \
         -remap ~SVN/Configs/trunk/Kindle/Touch_Hacks/ScreenSavers/src/linkss/etc/kindle_colors.gif \ 
         -quality 75 -define png:color-type=0 -define png:bit-depth=8 _${file}
done
Which options are mandatory for the fix and which are just 'optional'?

./src/linkss/etc/kindle_colors.gif from the kindle-linkss-0.24.N-r12672.tar.xz?
Not really an images person, so I have no idea what is necessary, but I think that is just the complete set of instructions used when creating the linkss-generated screensavers -- which are trusted to work well.
It might be overkill, it might not.

kindle_colors.gif is shown above from the subversion tree where the hack is developed, but yes those exact files are then bundled in the src/ folder in the snapshots.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 08:09 PM   #10
zaph0d

Thanks, converted them and all is ok. Turns out some of the images I downloaded were actually jpeg with .png extension

-colorspace Gray makes all images very dark, omitting this leads to grayscale without that side effect.
Old 12-09-2015, 08:22 PM   #11
NiLuJe
BLAM!

There was an issue with -colorspace Gray a few IM versions ago.

The current settings *should* work fine with a bleeding edge IM version (6.9.2-7), Q >= 8.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 12-09-2015 at 08:25 PM.

Tags
downgrade, jailbreak, serial