Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-18-2018, 06:35 PM   #1
3QVKwyNT9hR849t7
Connoisseur
3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about

Device: PW4 32GB (G000 T607) 5.12.3
Inflections issue in my custom dictionary

So, my scripts currently generate this file

https://haste.rys.pw/aguratifiv.xml (manually cleaned up - https://haste.rys.pw/jepefonuno.xml )

This dictionary has only two words, ditt and din.

----------------------------------
Inflections:
din: di, ditt, dine

Definitions:
din: your, yours
ditt: neuter singular of din
----------------------------------

Now, when I run this through Kindlegen and put it on my Kindle, holding on a word "din" correctly shows the entry for din "your, yours".

Holding on ditt however only shows the entry for ditt only. I'd expect it'd show both din and ditt. Removing the ditt definition makes it then pick up on din.

So my question is - how do I format this so kindle shows them both without adding a clone definition per every single inflection of every word in my dictionary?

Keep in mind this is a test case, so telling me that having an inflection of a word defined as a direct entry is stupid. I know. I still want to show both.

EDIT: seems like this has been an issue for a long time but can't find a solution/decent_workaround

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...35&postcount=3

Last edited by 3QVKwyNT9hR849t7; 09-18-2018 at 07:37 AM.
3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 08:47 PM   #2
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
You wouldn't want to do that. The definition for "din" should include what "ditt" is. A normal (paper) dictionary would not show 2 definitions when looking up "ditt". It would have a hyperlink (either literal in electronic, or "see din(1)" in paper)

Or rather, you should not expect your Kindle to show different definitions at once, unless there is multiple meanings for "din".

Last edited by DuckieTigger; 07-18-2018 at 08:52 PM.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2018, 03:43 AM   #3
3QVKwyNT9hR849t7
Connoisseur
3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about3QVKwyNT9hR849t7 has a spectacular aura about

"Keep in mind this is a test case, so telling me that having an inflection of a word defined as a direct entry is stupid. I know. I still want to show both."

Guess I should have written this better.

>Or rather, you should not expect your Kindle to show different definitions at once, unless there is multiple meanings for "din".

No multiple definition for these two words, but there are for others under the same circumstances, as I said, the example I mentioned is just a test case.

I decided I'll just work around it by not cloning all entries for all inflections but just for the affected ones. Hopefully shouldn't bloat the end result too much.

EDIT: Reported both this issue and an issue from the linked thread which causes look-up features to break on dictionary update without reboot to Amazon support.

"Dictionary features are not used often so they are not a priority"

Explains why I have to do all these ridiculous workarounds to have something usable.

Last edited by 3QVKwyNT9hR849t7; 07-19-2018 at 04:46 AM.
Old 07-19-2018, 05:14 AM   #4
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
No, I understood correctly. An inflection should not have a separate entry unless it also has a different meaning, IMO. If you want to show both you would need to copy. Has nothing to do with stupid or not. The Kindle simply shows only main entry and uses inflections in cases it cannot find a main entry. Simple, avoids possible recursive nightmares.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 05:57 AM   #5
3QVKwyNT9hR849t7
Connoisseur

> An inflection should not have a separate entry unless it also has a different meaning, IMO.

Great, I agree and am not arguing that as written in the OP.

>If you want to show both you would need to copy. Has nothing to do with stupid or not. The Kindle simply shows only main entry and uses inflections in cases it cannot find a main entry. Simple, avoids possible recursive nightmares.

Absolutely has to do with stupid. There absolutely is a ton of valid words, as the linked post from 2010 said, even the official oxford dictionary suffers from this.

If I am capable of working around it on dictionary level in about 25 lines of code I am sure Amazon is capable enough of implementing this on firmware level.

Last edited by 3QVKwyNT9hR849t7; 07-19-2018 at 03:59 PM.
Advert
Old 07-19-2018, 11:53 PM   #6
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic
Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS-T-2, PRS 350, PRS 950; Kobo Mini; Kindle PW3, Fire 10
ETACO is a company which specializes in electronic dictionaries/translators/translator software and also happens to make ereaders. The firmware also appears to be reprogramable. The following is a description of the ONYX BOOX Cleopatra 3 ereader.
Quote:
Support of languages and dictionaries

The BOOX allows the user to read documents in different world languages. Amongst them there are such languages as Russian, English, German, French, Spanish, Arabic, Swedish, Chinese, Japanese and many others.

Google Play

The model has the pre-installed Google Play app which gives access to hundreds of thousands of third-party Android programs, including free ones. This opportunity significantly expands the functionality of the device and gives you a large number of additional variants of its usage.

Reprogramming option

The Cleopatra 3 model allows the user to write personal software using the Android 4.0 options. The device is freely reprogrammable on request of the user who can install, delete and create programs.
http://www.ectaco.com/onyx-boox-cleopatra/
In regards to the ability to use different dictionaries and reprogramability this ereader perhaps would be a better choice than a paperwhite.
Ricky D'Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 12:50 AM   #7
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky D'Angelo View Post
In regards to the ability to use different dictionaries and reprogramability this ereader perhaps would be a better choice than a paperwhite.
Other ereaders may be more powerful, but Kindles have the better dictionaries. (Registered users can download high quality monolingual and bilingual English, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Russian, Tamil, Marathi, Gujrati, Hindi, Arabic, Chinese and Japanese dictionaries for free.)

For example, for Italian you can download the following 3 dictionaries:
1. Oxford Paravia English - Italian Dictionary
2. Oxford Paravia Italian - English Dictionary
3. lo Zingarelli Vocabolario della Lingua Italiana

(You'd have to pay at least $70/€60 for the paper edition of the lo Zingarelli dictionary.)

IIRC, Android users are limited to StarDict dictionaries or standalone dictionary apps that often don't work with ebook apps.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 03:00 AM   #8
3QVKwyNT9hR849t7
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky D'Angelo View Post
ETACO is a company which specializes in electronic dictionaries/translators/translator software and also happens to make ereaders. The firmware also appears to be reprogramable. The following is a description of the ONYX BOOX Cleopatra 3 ereader.

That device is about as 'reprogrammable' as the Paperwhite.

"The Cleopatra 3 model allows the user to write personal software using the Android 4.0 options."

The Paperwhite is 3 times cheaper and OS patches/upgrades for it didn't stop 7 years ago.