Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-12-2015, 05:09 AM   #1
franklekens
Addict
franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Sage, Elipsa, Onyx Note2, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Keyboard
blank lines between paragraphs

A weird thing. I just deleted two books from the reader that I'd bought through Kobo, and then redownloaded them via the shop.

The reason was: I had bought those books a while ago, so they didn't have the fancy reading stats Kobo's own kepubs have. (Either because I bought them before Kobo had implemented that, or because I sideloaded them at the time. I forget which.)
So I deleted them and redownloaded them via the shop.

But suddenly, these books have a blank line between every paragraph. I *HATE* paragraph spacing. And I'm sure the books aren't supposed to have it. The Adobe epub I downloaded doesn't show any white spaces between paragraphs.
Where does this come from all of a sudden?

And the worrying thing is: it doesn't happen only with these two redownloaded books. The most recent book I bought through Kobo also displays this (while, again, the downloaded epub on the PC doesn't show paragraph spacing in ADE, so it's not the intended book design).

Does anybody know what makes the Kobo ereader or the kepub suddenly decide to put spaces between paragraphs? And how it can be remedied?
franklekens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 07:06 AM   #2
tempest@de
Fanatic
tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, kindle
It happens with the kepubs, not to all of them but I also find it annoying, when that happens I delete the kepub and side load the epub version trough caliber, in this case I lose the stats for the kepub, I think you should decide what is more important to you keep the stats or lose the space between paragraphs, I haven’t found a way to keep both.
tempest@de is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2015, 07:32 AM   #3
Joques
Addict
Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.

Device: Kobo Glo
Wow, how can you hate paragraph spacing? I can't live without it! In fact I go to the extra trouble of making sure to insert it with Calibre.

It's the reason why, when I don't have my Kobo at hand, I use the Google Play reading app on my phone instead of the Kindle app, because the Kindle app will for some reason remove all the paragraph spacing.
Joques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 08:00 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Paragraphs spaces are distracting and ugly.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 08:37 AM   #5
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Paragraphs spaces are distracting and ugly.
Not to me. I prefer it. I also make sure all my side loaded books have the spaces, via Calibre conversion.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2015, 09:11 AM   #6
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Yeah, I like fitting in as many lines on the screen as any other guy, but paragraph spaces have got to stay.

It's just uncivilised to get rid of them. What next - we start walking the streets in our underwear?
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 09:27 AM   #7
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
While I prefer no spaces between paragraphs, I can appreciate there are people who do like them. Experimenting once with settings, I set the spacing at .5em for between paragraphs, and that I could live with, I was actually surprised that I did like it.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 09:39 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by howyoudoin View Post
Yeah, I like fitting in as many lines on the screen as any other guy, but paragraph spaces have got to stay.

It's just uncivilised to get rid of them. What next - we start walking the streets in our underwear?
Actually, it's uncivilized to have them. It distracts the eyes as you read. You are reading this nice text and then boom, the eyes get distracted because of the blank space. Blank space is supposed to say to the reader, it's a new section. It's not supposed to say oh, it's a new paragraph. That's just wrong is so many ways.

I have seen a lot of publisher use a .3em paragraph space and while it's readable, it's not optimal.
Old 01-12-2015, 09:40 AM   #9
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I'll bet it's an old book. Published in 2012 or earlier.

Complain on Twitter or Facebook and ask for the books to be reprocessed/reconvertered. Reason: kepub has a messed up layout, which makes it unreadable/horrible to read.

https://www.facebook.com/kobo
https://twitter.com/kobo

Edit: write it in English.
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 09:48 AM   #10
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Actually, it's uncivilized to have them. It distracts the eyes as you read. You are reading this nice text and then boom, the eyes get distracted because of the blank space. Blank space is supposed to say to the reader, it's a new section. It's not supposed to say oh, it's a new paragraph. That's just wrong is so many ways.

I have seen a lot of publisher use a .3em paragraph space and while it's readable, it's not optimal.
Nah. Paragraphs need spacing. Paragraphs without spacing is like mixing your soup and salad and main course and dessert into one single bowl and chomping away. Civilised folk don't get distracted by having to change dishes over the course of a meal and civilised folk don't get distracted by spaces between paragraphs. What is jarring is paragraphs running into each other with no distinction whatsoever. People shouldn't be miserly with their dishes and cutlery, and people shouldn't be miserly with their screen real estate. It's just good taste to have the spaces between paragraphs.
Old 01-12-2015, 09:59 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by howyoudoin View Post
Nah. Paragraphs need spacing. Paragraphs without spacing is like mixing your soup and salad and main course and dessert into one single bowl and chomping away. Civilised folk don't get distracted by having to change dishes over the course of a meal and civilised folk don't get distracted by spaces between paragraphs. What is jarring is paragraphs running into each other with no distinction whatsoever. People shouldn't be miserly with their dishes and cutlery, and people shouldn't be miserly with their screen real estate. It's just good taste to have the spaces between paragraphs.
I think you have it all wrong here. You don't have paragraphs with no distinction. That's called an INDENT! Yes, an INDENT is what tells you you are reading a new paragraph. Unless it's a paragraph that starts a chapter or a section breaks and then you have space to differentiate the paragraph.

You are thinking of the old eReader format that had a paragraph space and no INDENT. It needed the paragraph space because there was no INDENT.

So yes, an INDENT tells you you are at the start of a new paragraph. You don't need a paragraph space. A paragraph space is distracting and makes for a very uncomfortable read.

Using your analogy of a meal, paragraph spaces are like after you eat a full mean and then vomit it all back up. It's that bad. an INDENT and no paragraph spaces is your proper meal. The soup, the salad, the main course, and the dessert all served properly and not together.
Old 01-12-2015, 10:11 AM   #12
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
There are people who likes paragraph spacing? Duh... You learn something new everyday.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 10:12 AM   #13
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
It looks, to me, like there is a space/blank line between the paragraphs of all your posts, and they are readable. None of them have indents, not even JSWolf's.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 10:20 AM   #14
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?

Quote:
I think you have it all wrong here. You don't have paragraphs with no distinction. That's called an INDENT! Yes, an INDENT is what tells you you are reading a new paragraph. Unless it's a paragraph that starts a chapter or a section breaks and then you have space to differentiate the paragraph.

You are thinking of the old eReader format that had a paragraph space and no INDENT. It needed the paragraph space because there was no INDENT.

So yes, an INDENT tells you you are at the start of a new paragraph. You don't need a paragraph space. A paragraph space is distracting and makes for a very uncomfortable read.

Using your analogy of a meal, paragraph spaces are like after you eat a full mean and then vomit it all back up. It's that bad. an INDENT and no paragraph spaces is your proper meal. The soup, the salad, the main course, and the dessert all served properly and not together.
How do spaces equate to vomiting up a meal?!?! An indent is required, but it's not enough.

Indent + spacing = a proper meal in proper order with the right cutlery.

Indent + no spacing = everything mashed up together, but eaten with the proper cutlery.

You might as well stuff your face into a trough at dinner time if you think the latter is good enough!!!
Old 01-12-2015, 10:44 AM   #15
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Indent + spacing is the way I set mine up. Does KoReader preserve this type of spacing, Ken? I know Cool Reader does not.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote