Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 08-18-2019, 07:11 PM   #2626
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I forced myself to finish Devotion. It's worse than Social Creature, and that's not easy to be. Worst book in years, pretentious claptrap, no plot. Awful!
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 08:23 PM   #2627
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Finished a relisten of Storm Front by Jim Butcher. This is book 1 of Dresden Files. I'm doing a slow relisten in anticipation of the publication of the next book Peace Talks sometime in 2020. I am also listening to All Quiet On The Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque (published 1929) narrated by Tom Lawrence. Hard to stop, but off to watch The Closer series with Mom.

Last edited by Tarana; 08-18-2019 at 08:25 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2019, 10:47 PM   #2628
trichobezoar
Riding Against the Wind
trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 10.1 & Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
Finished a relisten of Storm Front by Jim Butcher. This is book 1 of Dresden Files. I'm doing a slow relisten in anticipation of the publication of the next book Peace Talks sometime in 2020...
I liked the show based on the Dresden Files. Too bad they canceled it. I'm sure the audiobooks are much more detailed... and better!

I just finished listening to chapter 4 of The Power of Now and I'm about to start chapter 5. Two chapters in one day--woot!

*woot bunny dance*

[Update: On chapter 6]

Last edited by trichobezoar; 08-19-2019 at 02:44 AM.
trichobezoar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 08:58 AM   #2629
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by trichobezoar View Post
I liked the show based on the Dresden Files. Too bad they canceled it. I'm sure the audiobooks are much more detailed... and better!

I just finished listening to chapter 4 of The Power of Now and I'm about to start chapter 5. Two chapters in one day--woot!

*woot bunny dance*

[Update: On chapter 6]
If you haven't listened to the audiobooks and liked the show, then give the audiobooks a try. The narrator, James Marster, is excellent. He's the actor who played Spike on Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 09:00 AM   #2630
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
Finished a relisten of Storm Front by Jim Butcher. This is book 1 of Dresden Files. I'm doing a slow relisten in anticipation of the publication of the next book Peace Talks sometime in 2020. I am also listening to All Quiet On The Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque (published 1929) narrated by Tom Lawrence. Hard to stop, but off to watch The Closer series with Mom.
I was just thinking that I needed to either do a re-read or re-listen of the Dresden Files. I've read/listened to the books prior to Ghost Story a lot, but I've only listened/read to Ghost Story onward once.
Advert
Old 08-19-2019, 04:08 PM   #2631
trichobezoar
Riding Against the Wind
trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
If you haven't listened to the audiobooks and liked the show, then give the audiobooks a try. The narrator, James Marster, is excellent. He's the actor who played Spike on Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
I think I will listen to the Dresden Files. I have to purchase the audiobooks on eBay... when I could afford it. I have the ebooks, fortunately. That should save me money.

I'm on chapter 7 of The Power of Now.
Old 08-19-2019, 10:28 PM   #2632
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by trichobezoar View Post
I think I will listen to the Dresden Files. I have to purchase the audiobooks on eBay... when I could afford it. I have the ebooks, fortunately. That should save me money.

I'm on chapter 7 of The Power of Now.
Does your library have Overdrive? You might be able to borrow the MP3s from there while you're building your CD library.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 11:00 PM   #2633
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Does your library have Overdrive? You might be able to borrow the MP3s from there while you're building your CD library.
My libraries have every one of the audiobooks and every one of the ebooks for The Dresden Files. I haven't gotten very far into the series yet, but it's good to know I can use my libraries as I progress.

Definitely worth a look in your library(s) to see if they have them.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 12:06 AM   #2634
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Agreed, libraries are a good resource here. I'm finding I get roughly half of my audio books from them these days.

Just finished listening to Death in a White Tie, the seventh of Ngaio Marsh's Inspector Alleyn mysteries, narrated by James Saxon. One of the better ones in the series, and one I quite enjoyed, especially as it includes a pivotal bit of Agatha Troy.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 09:52 AM   #2635
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
My libraries have every one of the audiobooks and every one of the ebooks for The Dresden Files. I haven't gotten very far into the series yet, but it's good to know I can use my libraries as I progress.

Definitely worth a look in your library(s) to see if they have them.
Interestingly, my library has all the books in both ebook and audiobook.
Old 08-20-2019, 04:03 PM   #2636
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Just finished listening to Death in a White Tie, the seventh of Ngaio Marsh's Inspector Alleyn mysteries, narrated by James Saxon. One of the better ones in the series, and one I quite enjoyed, especially as it includes a pivotal bit of Agatha Troy.
Next up, Overture to Death, the next of the Alleyn series. This one read by Nadia May (aka, Donada Peters and/or Wanda McCaddon). Absolutely one of my favourite narrators, so I'm quite looking forward to it.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 10:11 PM   #2637
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Latest listen: Clare Mackintosh's After the End, narrated by Louise Brealey, Matt Reeves, and Nathalie Armin. Mackintosh has written three top-notch twisty thrillers, but this title is a departure from the genre (which I knew going in). After the End is a heartbreaking book about loving parents who are divided about whether to let their terminally ill, severely brain-damaged two-year-old die, or to try additional treatment to extend his life. Excellent book, both sad and hopeful, with well-rounded characters who are all trying to put the child first.
Old 08-21-2019, 10:13 PM   #2638
trichobezoar
Riding Against the Wind

I went to a library nearby and asked if they had the Dresden Files audiobooks--the whole series. I was told that they have e-audiobooks and that I'd have to inquire about each and every title. And I'd have to get a library card. Lol 'Still haven't done that. I'd almost rather buy them on eBay for $20.

Still on chapter 7 of The Power of Now. Too tired to listen to something intense right now. 'Just finished cleaning and organizing for 4+ hours. Tomorrow I'll be organized enough to listen to a few chapters though. *nods*
Old 08-24-2019, 05:39 PM   #2639
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Another good one: The Perfect Wife by JP Delaney, narrated by Saskia Maarleveld (one of my favorite narrators), Graham Halstead, and Euan Morton.

This is being marketed as psychological suspense, which it definitely is--a riff on a basic amnesia plot--but the blurbs skirt around an element that puts a unique twist on that plot (revealed in the first few pages, but I'll use spoiler tags anyway).

Spoiler:
The narrator is an empathetic, sentient robot that has been designed as a replacement for a tech wizard's vanished wife. So in addition to the suspense, the book makes one think about artificial intelligence and the future of robotics.

Enjoyable and interesting on many levels; definitely would put this in my top ten for the year.
Old 08-24-2019, 07:00 PM   #2640
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Another good one: The Perfect Wife by JP Delaney, narrated by Saskia Maarleveld (one of my favorite narrators), Graham Halstead, and Euan Morton.

This is being marketed as psychological suspense, which it definitely is--a riff on a basic amnesia plot--but the blurbs skirt around an element that puts a unique twist on that plot (revealed in the first few pages, but I'll use spoiler tags anyway).

Spoiler:
The narrator is an empathetic, sentient robot that has been designed as a replacement for a tech wizard's vanished wife. So in addition to the suspense, the book makes one think about artificial intelligence and the future of robotics.

Enjoyable and interesting on many levels; definitely would put this in my top ten for the year.
I guess I'd better put my question is spoiler tags too then:
Spoiler:
Would you classify this as science fiction?
By which I mean, other than the very existence of the robot, does the science or technology feature in the story in any significant way?
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audible, audiobooks, recommendations