Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-15-2019, 03:04 PM   #1
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Feature Request: Command line

Given that Calibre 4.x hasn't solved the positioning problems with Calibre on multiple monitor, hi-res screens in Windows (Dual 4k monitors, in my case), it would be really useful to have a command line option to specify the startup position for Calibre. Something like:

Calibre --x=0 --y=0

or

Calibre --position 0,0

In v3.x, I could usually get around the problem of Calibre starting up off-screen by killing it, restart, rinse/repeat until it decided to be visible. In 4.x, this no longer seems to work -- it stays permanently off-screen.

I've rolled back to 3.48 on my main desktop (the dual monitor setup), while allowing my laptops to migrate to 4.1.

Thanks,
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 06:47 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
This commit might help: https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...33eeb9657526cc

Or you can just get the window back on screen with this https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...dows-10-a.html

and hopefully it will stay on screen after doing that once. Or you can delete the main_window_geometry key from gui.py.json in the calibre config directory.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 06:55 PM   #3
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I’m guessing that commit will show up in this week’s release? If so, I’ll give it a try and report back here. If not, perhaps either a command line option or environment variable to ignore that key?
Old 10-15-2019, 07:16 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Yeah it will be in the next release.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 04:09 PM   #5
Gary_M_Mugford
Groupie
Gary_M_Mugford has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gary_M_Mugford has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gary_M_Mugford has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo, Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I’m guessing that commit will show up in this week’s release? If so, I’ll give it a try and report back here. If not, perhaps either a command line option or environment variable to ignore that key?
Kovid's on the job so this reply is only for if it still his a problem after that fact.

IF you are a Windows user, you might want to check out UltraMon for handling multiple monitors. It has shortcuts that do exactly what you wish. You can require a window to open up in a pre-determined spot and even adds the ability to dictate the size.

It's not perfect. I've looked at the competition, but they all have greater flaws within the scheme of things. And, of course, it handles programs Kovid ISN'T upgrading too. Hope this helps. GM
Gary_M_Mugford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 06:46 PM   #6
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Thanks, Gary. I'll look into it. Really, the only one I routinely have problems with is Calibre, but Calibre is the one program I'm NOT willing to live without.