Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 10-13-2014, 04:07 PM   #1
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, Nexus7
CC with FBReader and PDFs

I'm using CC to connect my Nexus 7 to my calibre library over WiFi. Everthing seems to work perfectly with both PDFs and ePubs transferring to my Nexus CC complete with tags. However, only ePubs open in FBReader when I press CC's Read button. PDFs simply give me a dialogue to choose the app to use and FBReader is not on the list. I have installed the FBR add-on for PDF and confirmed that these books open by using FBR direct, (although FBR has lost the calibre tags). Any ideas to try out are most welcome.
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 04:16 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
FBReader uses a non-standard method for programs to ask it to open books via its plugins, which is why CC can't see it and doesn't propose it. It is also why the two file managers I have don't propose FBReader for pdf files. I really wish that developers wouldn't make up new "standards" for common things.

At any rate, I figured out how to launch FBReader on a pdf and while at it, on djvu, and added special code to CC to handle these two cases. It will be in the next release, perhaps the end of this week.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2014, 10:48 AM   #3
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you so much Chaley you are too kind. I'll keep an eye out for the update but I expect Google Play will notify me. FBReader is great as a reader but CC is much better for library management: the interface is clearer, the options are great and, of course, it integrates so well with calibre.
Old 10-15-2014, 04:11 PM   #4
kaufman
Calibre Companion Fanatic
kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kindle Voyage
Unitl it shows up, you might try out Moon+ Reader. I personally like it better than FBReader and it also supports PDF and already works perfectly with Calibre Companion.
kaufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 04:37 PM   #5
Agama
Guru

Thanks for the suggestion. I did try Moon+ Reader and liked it very much but couldn't test PDF cropping in the free version.

Last edited by Agama; 10-16-2014 at 04:44 PM.
Advert
Old 10-16-2014, 04:44 PM   #6
kaufman
kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just tried it, and it worked perfectly. When you zoom in or move around the page, it shows a symbol in the corner of two arrows with a line through them. If you tap on the symbol, the line goes away and it locks the zoom level and page movement.

You can then turn pages and just see that portion of each page. It doesn't have different option for left and right pages, but other than that, it seems fine to me.
Old 10-16-2014, 04:51 PM   #7
Agama
Guru

Thanks for the update, that sounds ideal. Moon+ is a lot slower navigating from the ePub TOC and can't reduce the font size below 14pt but otherwise seems a really nice reader.

Last edited by Agama; 10-16-2014 at 05:05 PM.
Old 10-16-2014, 05:23 PM   #8
kaufman

I just checked, and it goes pretty quickly from the TOC to the book. Also, the smallest font size if 10pt, not 14pt.

Perhaps its been upgraded since you last tried it.
Old 10-16-2014, 06:14 PM   #9
Agama
Guru

I just reinstalled the free version and it's definitely 14pt. Maybe full version goes smaller. Navigation from TOC is about 1.5 seconds and it displays a "Loading" dialogue. FBReader is almost instantaneous. Testing a bit more shows that Moon+ TOC access gets slower the further down the TOC, even in an 8 chapter, 200 page book. Moon+ does have some really nice features and it's visually appealing.

Last edited by Agama; 10-16-2014 at 06:41 PM.
Old 10-16-2014, 06:29 PM   #10
kaufman

Wierd.

I just loaded up a large book and from the TOC, I scrolled down and opened chapter 66. It opened in almost no time. Perhaps a quarter of a second.

Maybe you are using a different font. I am using "serif" and it goes to 10. I just tried chococooky and that one went to 10 as well. Which font are you using?
Old 10-16-2014, 06:35 PM   #11
Agama
Guru

Serif. I've not changed anything from defaults since reinstalling. Maybe it's just free version. There is no chococooky but there is clockopia - still 14pt.

Last edited by Agama; 10-16-2014 at 06:43 PM.
Old 10-16-2014, 07:07 PM   #12
kaufman

Don't know. Very weird.