Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-20-2019, 12:35 PM   #16
Lebowsky
Lebowsky began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
thanks stumped and Pajamaman will check those two retailers!
Lebowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 01:10 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
WH Smiths stock them.
Argos sells Kobo Readers.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2019, 07:23 PM   #18
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Have you tried a larger then 6" eInk screen? I have and I would not want to go back to 6". So hat kind of leaves out the nook as it may be too large at 7.8".
And my opinion tends to be that the 6.8"/7" screens aren't worth the extra size over the 6" screens. But, the 7.8"/8" seems to be worth it. I found the Aura H2O to bulky and preferred the Glo HD. But, loved the Aura ONE. When that went to my wife, I tried the Aura H2O again, but, quickly went back to the Glo HD.

When the Forma came out, again, it worked for me (and I liked the buttons a lot more than I expected). And when it went to my wife, the Aura ONE came back to me, and I split my reading between the Auro ONE and Glo HD, and then later a Clara HD. I'm now trying a Libra H2O, and while it is good, and I like the buttons, I feel I should have splurged for a Forma for myself. Maybe I need to see if my wife thinks the Libra H2O is, "just right".
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 10:38 PM   #19
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
And my opinion tends to be that the 6.8"/7" screens aren't worth the extra size over the 6" screens. But, the 7.8"/8" seems to be worth it. I found the Aura H2O to bulky and preferred the Glo HD. But, loved the Aura ONE. When that went to my wife, I tried the Aura H2O again, but, quickly went back to the Glo HD.
So far I haven't been able to figure out the attraction to the 7.8/8 inch screens. (I have a Tolino Epos I'm trying to like.) But I don't read mangas, or technical books or PDFs and I'm near-sighted (so don't need glasses to read fairly small type) — so that could be why.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 10:57 PM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
When I bought the H2O, 6.8" was it for a larger screen. The problem would be with the Forma, is that it might be too large to carry with me. I'll have to check the size and see if it will fit where it needs to go.
Advert
Old 10-21-2019, 02:51 AM   #21
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Quote:

When the Forma came out, again, it worked for me (and I liked the buttons a lot more than I expected). And when it went to my wife, the Aura ONE came back to me, and I split my reading between the Auro ONE and Glo HD, and then later a Clara HD. I'm now trying a Libra H2O, and while it is good, and I like the buttons, I feel I should have splurged for a Forma for myself. Maybe I need to see if my wife thinks the Libra H2O is, "just right".
Just an aside: Why does your wife keep pinching your ereaders? Maybe you could buy 'his' and 'hers' covers.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 01:46 PM   #22
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebowsky View Post
Hi!

I need to replace my old 2014 Kobo Aura, which died from compression in my backpack during a flight :/

Size wise, I think the size of the Aura was 6" and that was good.

So, as far as I know, my main option I think is the Kobo Clara. The comfortlight feature seems very interesting as well.
I replaced my 6" Aura with a Clara. I appreciated the compact size of the Aura and the Clara is comparable. It is slightly narrower and slightly taller than the Aura. Still much more compact than, say, a Paperwhite.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 09:22 PM   #23
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Have you tried a larger then 6" eInk screen?
I helped a neighbor get started with a Kobo H2o. I forget that size but it was bigger. I did spend a bit of time with it. I didn't hate it but it was a bit large.

I've also read on a Kobo Mini, a 5" screen, and I think that was ideal. A much better size for reading than a 6" screen. So small and easy to hold on to and light and thin and easy to carry in a pocket.

I do have an Ipad with a 9.7" screen. I tried reading on that and it was too big. I'm fine with reading on LCD. I do more reading on my 5.1" phone than on my Kindle.

So yes, I really do know that I prefer smaller screens. Bigger isn't always better. At least not for me.

By the way back in my paper book days it was kind of the same. I nearly always read paperbacks. Hardbacks were way too cumbersome. I nearly always had my current book in my hip pocket. That doesn't work with a hard back. And a paperback is a LOT easier to read sitting under a tree and the difference is even greater when reading in bed. I never did figure out how to read a hardback in bed comfortably.

And trade paperbacks were just hardbacks with soft covers to me. They were too big.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 10:03 PM   #24
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
@barryem: It's such a shame that no one makes a 5" frontlit ereader. I bought a secondhand Kobo Mini for a friend last Christmas and really liked the size. The MobileRead member who sold it to me would have kept it had it had a frontlit, and I wouldn't have given it!

If only someone would make one now
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 01:37 PM   #25
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
@barryem: It's such a shame that no one makes a 5" frontlit ereader. I bought a secondhand Kobo Mini for a friend last Christmas and really liked the size. The MobileRead member who sold it to me would have kept it had it had a frontlit, and I wouldn't have given it!

If only someone would make one now
The original Kobo Aura 6" was as big as the Sony PRS-350 which had a 5" screen. When I bought the Aura I was delighted to have the same size reader with the bigger screen and a frontlight. They can still be bought on ebay in very good condition. And the Aura 6" has a card slot
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 03:44 PM   #26
Lebowsky

Thanks everyone! I think I'm set on the Kobo Clara, will go to a store to have a real look at them. Might wait until black friday to order though, you never know

Regarding cover: there seems to be lots available. I don't particularly need a sleep cover, but I really want a sturdy / resistant one. I couldn't really find any. Do you guys have any suggestion?

Thanks!
Old 10-23-2019, 03:59 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebowsky View Post
Thanks everyone! I think I'm set on the Kobo Clara, will go to a store to have a real look at them. Might wait until black friday to order though, you never know

Regarding cover: there seems to be lots available. I don't particularly need a sleep cover, but I really want a sturdy / resistant one. I couldn't really find any. Do you guys have any suggestion?

Thanks!
Before you get the Clara, go to a shop that has the Libra H2O or the Kindle Oasis 3 and have a look at the 7" screen. You might find you like it.
Old 10-23-2019, 07:34 PM   #28
pondscum
Enthusiast
pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
By the way back in my paper book days it was kind of the same. I nearly always read paperbacks. Hardbacks were way too cumbersome. I nearly always had my current book in my hip pocket. That doesn't work with a hard back. And a paperback is a LOT easier to read sitting under a tree and the difference is even greater when reading in bed. I never did figure out how to read a hardback in bed comfortably.

And trade paperbacks were just hardbacks with soft covers to me. They were too big.
I had the same problem with large/heavy paper books being awkward to hold in small hands, but an e-reader is a lot more ergonomic; lighter and easier to hold, since you don't have to mash it to keep the pages open as well as supporting the weight of the book. I read on a 6" 4th-generation Kindle for many years and now use a 7.8" Inkpad 3 as my primary device. It doesn't seem much heavier in my hand than the old Kindle in spite of the larger screen. I do prefer the location of the Kindle's page turn buttons on the side edges of the reader instead of the bottom front, though.
pondscum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 04:01 AM   #29
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pondscum View Post
I do prefer the location of the Kindle's page turn buttons on the side edges of the reader instead of the bottom front, though.
You could swap the Inkpad for a Kobo Forma. 8", buttons on the side and only about half an ounce heavier than your Kindle was. I love mine
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 06:37 PM   #30
Lebowsky

hey all. I was not able to find any Kobos to look at in a retail shop (and I visited a lot of places!). But there currently is a discount on the Clara - 79£ @ curryspcworld on ebay so I went with it!