Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-10-2019, 01:57 PM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
But it doesn't follow that getting rid of auto-checkout will fix this problem. I'm guessing most folks who don't read their books will still borrow them... and not read them for them for the same two or three weeks. Only difference is, now the book could be in limbo for three days while they decide, so you could be adding three days to each borrower's time. (I realize that some won't borrow, so it should work out a little better.) Personally I don't really care so long as I get an email notice that my book is available. I only have a couple books on hold at a time and I always check them out and read them. (If I don't like what I'm reading, a book it can be returned within hours.)
I do think more time is wasted because of auto checkout then would be otherwise. But one idea I've had that would work is that your hold going to auto checkout and if you do not download it within 48 hours from then, it goes to the next in line.

This you get it for 2-3 weeks and do not download it is a really bad way to do it. I don't like this new hold either. I prefer that you get an email. If you do not do anything within 48 hours, you lose your turn.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 02:01 PM   #32
wandalynn
Addict
wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
It was down toward the bottom.

So the emails will still exist, they're only adding info to let people know that they have the option to check out the book or place a hold.
It looks like only half of this has happened. I got an email today that a hold was available to borrow. When I went to my holds on my library's Overdrive site I had the option to check the title out but not to add a new hold. My settings are still on auto checkout btw.

Last edited by wandalynn; 12-18-2019 at 02:27 PM.
wandalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2020, 05:22 PM   #33
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
My library now says "Deliver Later" is coming in March
https://help.overdrive.com/en-us/2265.htm
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 06:35 PM   #34
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
My library now says "Deliver Later" is coming in March
https://help.overdrive.com/en-us/2265.htm
They've got the same link posted at my library's Overdrive page. It looks like a pretty good deal to me. Pick "later" and you change places with the next person in the line. Seems fair.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 09:22 PM   #35
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
If you choose to have it delivered later:
  • You'll stay at the front of the wait list.
  • The current copy will go to the next person in line.
  • You'll choose the earliest date you'd like the title to be delivered. Then, after that date, you'll get a copy when the next person returns it.
They don't say what happens if multiple people select deliver later. They can't all be at the front of the list and get the book next.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2020, 10:02 PM   #36
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
They don't say what happens if multiple people select deliver later. They can't all be at the front of the list and get the book next.
That's a good question! I hadn't thought about that.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 05:29 PM   #37
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That's a good point. I'm guessing that the first two in line would continually be changing places since, as I understand it, the next in line would be you, if you chose to pick it up later.
Old 02-15-2020, 06:07 PM   #38
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I would guess the first person who is not delivering later would get the hold. But if there are only two people both who have for later delivery, I have no idea how it would work.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 04:05 PM   #39
Slipkid
Enthusiast
Slipkid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slipkid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slipkid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slipkid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slipkid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slipkid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slipkid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slipkid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slipkid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slipkid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slipkid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
Through my Illinois library card I have access to ebooks at my local library (Overdrive) and the State of Illinois elibrary (Access 360). When we are traveling, I don't have access to my computer, so I lost two State of Illinois library books while we were traveling. Luckily, the two at my local library were automatically checked out, and I downloaded them when we arrived. I am not a fan of this change.
You can borrow with the libby app on a cell phone and then download it to the computer later.
Slipkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 04:07 PM   #40
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I would guess the first person who is not delivering later would get the hold. But if there are only two people both who have for later delivery, I have no idea how it would work.
From the explanation, I got from the library, if the delivery hold line was not empty and you asked for the delivery hold, you would be placed behind the people ahead of you in the delivery hold line. If the next person also requested a delivery hold, they would be placed behind the those already in the delivery hold line. So if Alice, Bob, Charles, Donna and Everett were in the hold line and Alice, Bob and Charles opted for delivery hold and Donna checked out the book, Alice, Bob and Charles would be in the hold line in positions 1 to 3 with Everett now in position 4.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 09:47 PM   #41
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
From the explanation, I got from the library, if the delivery hold line was not empty and you asked for the delivery hold, you would be placed behind the people ahead of you in the delivery hold line. If the next person also requested a delivery hold, they would be placed behind the those already in the delivery hold line. So if Alice, Bob, Charles, Donna and Everett were in the hold line and Alice, Bob and Charles opted for delivery hold and Donna checked out the book, Alice, Bob and Charles would be in the hold line in positions 1 to 3 with Everett now in position 4.
So you do partially lose your place in the line? I guess that makes sense. Thanks.
Old 02-19-2020, 11:51 PM   #42
teija
Gadget fiend
teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite 2021, Sony PRS-350
I am guessing this is a move by Overdrive to try and offer a "value-add" for their customers (libraries) as I'm pretty sure the library pays EVERY time a book is checked out, regardless of whether it is read or not. If everyone is just doing an automatic checkout, that could lead to a LOT of unread books and a fair bit of excess revenue for Overdrive! Perhaps they are having trouble negotiating their contract renewals, what with the news of the sale from Kobo... That's about the only reason I could see Overdrive implementing this "willingly" if it actually impacts their bottom line.
teija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 10:26 AM   #43
wandalynn
Addict
wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook, Aluratek Libre
Another option for traveling is to tether your ereader to your phone and get books that way. Ebook downloads use very little data and this works for purchased books as well as borrowed.
wandalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 10:58 AM   #44
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I don't like this new feature. The option for auto checkout has been removed. The re-delivery option is next to useless to me. I wanted the auto checked option.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 12:18 PM   #45
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I have to say it worked out for me this past week. I’d had an audiobook on hold at a “partner” library for a couple of months; the system with the partner libraries is that if a cardholder puts a hold on a book, you get bumped down the list. I’d started out next in line, dropped to second, came back up to first, but then was disappointed last week to see I’d dropped down to third. The very next day, I got the email that the book was available. It’s obvious that without the redeliver option, I’d have waited a long time.

That said, I prefer the auto-checkout option also. It’s handier for me in general, and it is also going to build much longer waits into books.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote